Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance 9 seater

Options
  • 22-09-2016 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi does anybody know who will insure a 9 seater. It's a Renault Traffic passenger .it's for private use as we have 5 children..
    Can anyone help me I've tried loads with no joy..
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 John Bryson

Hi does anybody know who will insure a 9 seater. It's a Renault Traffic passenger .it's for private use as we have 5 children..
    Can anyone help me I've tried loads with no joy..
    Thanks

Try an Insurance Broker who can advise you accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

9 seater ? You mean 7, surely ??

If it is 9, check your driving licence: a 9-seater might be coming up as a PSV, so you would want to make that clear.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

galwaytt wrote: »
    9 seater ? You mean 7, surely ??

If it is 9, check your driving licence: a 9-seater might be coming up as a PSV, so you would want to make that clear.

Regular B category driving licence covers the holder to drive passenger and goods vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes gross weight, and up to 9 seats (8 passengers + driver).

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

It does but most 8 passenger vehicle are registered on vlc as mini bus so you'll do good to get insurer to give you quote for private use,,, all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

7 + driver is usually the upper limit for passenger capacity on private motor policies. That said, it's not completely unheard of to insure vehicles above this capacity for social domestic & pleasure use.

Trying to get a quote online isn't going to cut it in this case. I would suggest giving McCarthy's in Cork a bell. They're a large enough brokerage and also deal with Taxi drivers so would know which insurers would have such vehicles within their risk appetite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

As stated before, there is a system in Ireland, where if you get 3 refusals from 3 different insurers, you can apply, and they are going to force one of the insurers to offer you a cover.
    Unfortnately cost might be prohibitive.

Another completely mad scenario of Irish motoring, where person can't really drive the vehicle they wish just because of f...ed insurance system.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

CiniO wrote: »
    As stated before, there is a system in Ireland, where if you get 3 refusals from 3 different insurers, you can apply, and they are going to force one of the insurers to offer you a cover.
    Unfortnately cost might be prohibitive.

Another completely mad scenario of Irish motoring, where person can't really drive the vehicle they wish just because of f...ed insurance system.

Above poster is referring to the Declined Cases Agreement. It is a scheme that is designed to assist motorists who are having difficulty obtaining a quote. Types of cases dealt with under this agreement might included scenarios like a driver switching use (e.g. private to commerical) or drivers who have claims or convictions history. See bottom of this page for more info. Far from being a 'mad system' (the general f..ked-ness no the system not withstanding), this agreement is designed to oblige the market to insure a motorist and variants of the system are practiced all over the world. The committee may also intervene if a company offers a de facto refusal by floating an astronomical quote.

As is denoted on the page, it may be a good idea to keep a note of the insurers you have contacted and in what order. As for how it might apply to this case, there is probably no harm in keeping note of who you have contacted but I would be quite surprised if some of the bigger brokers were not able to obtain a quote for you in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

cplwhisper wrote: »
    It does but most 8 passenger vehicle are registered on vlc as mini bus so you'll do good to get insurer to give you quote for private use,,, all the best

If the 9 seater is a mobility conversion , as in wheelchair access, for a family member then it actually easier

Advertisement