Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freaked out

Options
  • 05-01-2009 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Ok something happened recently, freaked me outa bit and im very shook up since then...

I live in a house that has been converted into two flats. The woman living downstairs left 6 months ago and theres been no one living there since. Letters have been arriving for this woman , all with different surnames. I just gave them all to my landlord to forward to her.

Anyway 2 weeks ago there was a knock on the door, when i answered 2 men were outside, started going on about "you owe us money"... and calling me by my old neighbours name.I told them i was not her and she moved out months ago.

They then pushed themselves in the door and closed it behind them. Threatned me said my kids would "get it" if i didnt cough up. I yelled "I HAVE NO KIDS YOU HAVE THE WRONG PERSON" to which one of them caught me up my the neck and said "We will be back and you better have the money".They then walked off smirking.

I called my landlord and the police, my landlord went home and opened all the letters sent for her and there were letters from banks , building societys etc, she owes for holiday loans, car loans, etc... over 15 grand. So i can only assume she also got money from a loan shark and now hes after her.

I gave the police descriptions of the guys but thats all that can be done unless they come back.

Like what else am i supposed to do?

Since then ive been trying to act normal, but everytime the door goes i run out to the back room, and last night i heard a cat outside and woke up my fella to check it out. Ive been looking for a new place but they are all so overpriced, i cant afford to pay 190 a weeks rent.

Im so freaked these guys will come back, my landlord cant find the old tenant, he doesnt even know if the name he gave her was real.

I dont know what im asking for here, just need to vent i guess

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Move out ASAP, you can find plenty of places for less than 100 a week if you don't mind making small sacrifices.

It's not worth staying there for any reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Move out ASAP, you can find plenty of places for less than 100 a week if you don't mind making small sacrifices.

It's not worth staying there for any reason!

Less than 100e a week? not here they dont have them. I did see a room for rent but i have my couch and my wardrobes, all the furnitures mine, i need a flat not a room. I have been all over the place and the only places for rent are 3 bedroomed flats for 190 a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Ok something happened recently, freaked me outa bit and im very shook up since then...

I live in a house that has been converted into two flats. The woman living downstairs left 6 months ago and theres been no one living there since. Letters have been arriving for this woman , all with different surnames. I just gave them all to my landlord to forward to her.

Anyway 2 weeks ago there was a knock on the door, when i answered 2 men were outside, started going on about "you owe us money"... and calling me by my old neighbours name.I told them i was not her and she moved out months ago.

They then pushed themselves in the door and closed it behind them. Threatned me said my kids would "get it" if i didnt cough up. I yelled "I HAVE NO KIDS YOU HAVE THE WRONG PERSON" to which one of them caught me up my the neck and said "We will be back and you better have the money".They then walked off smirking.

I called my landlord and the police, my landlord went home and opened all the letters sent for her and there were letters from banks , building societys etc, she owes for holiday loans, car loans, etc... over 15 grand. So i can only assume she also got money from a loan shark and now hes after her.

I gave the police descriptions of the guys but thats all that can be done unless they come back.

Like what else am i supposed to do?

Since then ive been trying to act normal, but everytime the door goes i run out to the back room, and last night i heard a cat outside and woke up my fella to check it out. Ive been looking for a new place but they are all so overpriced, i cant afford to pay 190 a weeks rent.

Im so freaked these guys will come back, my landlord cant find the old tenant, he doesnt even know if the name he gave her was real.

I dont know what im asking for here, just need to vent i guess

Can't you show them a passport with your ID? They are ***** but what can you do. I'd also tell them you called the Gardai after the last time and they are looking for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Is there a big burly man you could have come and live in the house until they've called again, and then tell them how it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Any relatives or friends that you can stay with for the time being?

If a friend of mine told me they were in that situation, then they could stay on my couch for as long as is necessary...... Surely you have somebody willing to let you stay for a week or 2 even?

I'd certainly get out of there for a while anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,856 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would tip off the press, quite honestly. If you dont want these people coming after you it might be good of them to hear that you were not who they were after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Overheal wrote: »
    I would tip off the press, quite honestly. If you dont want these people coming after you it might be good of them to hear that you were not who they were after.

IMO alerting the press would not do anything. At least it wouldnt do anything positive. Veronica Guerin springs to mind(dont mean to be dramatic).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,856 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Who?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Show them your passport and tell them you want to know who you supposedly borrowed this money from because they have the wrong person.

To be honest, I very much doubt you will ever see them again as they will have gone back with the story and a description of you and unless you are unlucky enough to look like your neighbour, they will realise they are barking up the wrong tree. They might be thug debt collectors but time-is-money still applies and they wont bother if they know it aint you.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i would move out. its not worth it unless you want to go to the press. They probably think you really are her and wont take no for an answer. in the meantime Put a lock on the front door so that they cant barge in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Kablam

Lad's, am i missing something here? what exactly are the press going to
    do for this girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I wouldn't show them your passport, irish passports are very valuable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Inform your landlord that you want a security lock installed on the door, along with a peep hole, as you have already been assaulted and had your home invaded- through his lack of action regarding his other tenant. If he/she demurs, start proceedings against them with the PRTB.

Advertisement