Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

soc160 wrote: »
    That's it! I heard the ad a few times now and there was something off, now it makes sense, can't wait to hear it again and get angrier...

Why do they keep playing the same section of the William Tell Overture again and again and again and again. Arrrgh :mad:

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

swingking wrote: »
    Why do they keep playing the same section of the William Tell Overture again and again and again and again. Arrrgh :mad:
    This is one of the worst things in advertising across the board. Making up annoying words to sing over a piece of music generally irritates me but the William Tell overture is one of the most abused pieces of music for those purposes.

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That is why I wouldn't want to be trapped in a room with anyone who works in advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

That stupid phone ad with their "bpm" this and that. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Aviva one:
    "If you loves your metal like I loves me metal"..
    JESUS THE BOGGER ACCENT ON HIM DRIVES ME MENTAL :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

fussyonion wrote: »
    The Aviva one:

Ah yeah, shure we do be all talkin' like dat down here in de bog. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

ivytwine wrote: »
    Came here to complain about this ad too- God it's not just unfunny, it moves into the realm of negatively funny. It sucks all the hilarity out of the world and just makes you wonder what is the point of life...
    I came to this thread to rant about that fooking ad, not surprised to see I was beaten to it

Another one annoying me at the moment is that Spar Coffee ad, utterly cringe-inducing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

The Aviva one:

I like it and I'm a BOGGER as you put it. It's just a bit of fun...

jca wrote: »
    I like it and I'm a BOGGER as you put it. It's just a bit of fun...

Holy God. It's not fun, it's irritating. Even worse, I suspect the fella in the ad is actually not a bogger and is just impersonating one. Worse.

Holy God. It's not fun, it's irritating. Even worse, I suspect the fella in the ad is actually not a bogger and is just impersonating one. Worse.

Humour evades yet another boardsie;) This has to be the most humourless site on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's not funny. It's ANNOYINGLY cringeworthy, to the point where you want to lift a foot out of your car's footwell to repeatedly kick the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,589 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Aviva one:

Its a Waterford City accent is it not? And yes, its a hideous ad with base 'humour' of a atrocious and grating quality.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's Mario Rosenstock. I totally agree with you, that ad is horrendous. It does the job an ad is supposed to do, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's Mario Rosenstock. I totally agree with you, that ad is horrendous. It does the job an ad is supposed to do, though.

Does it, I know the offending Ad but I'm damned if I can think of what it is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

madmaggie wrote: »
    That stupid phone ad with their "bpm" this and that. :mad:

Oh god. Sure the bpm thing is such an essential thing to have. You'd be lost without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Busylel.ie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

The voice of the guy who does the ads for phoenix magazine wrecks my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Theres an ad for dulux with a female voice over then next thing a male voice comes on going "im a coffe stain" as the female is spouting on about the paint. I thought the radio station mucked up playing 2 ads at once but no someone has outdone the stupidist ad before this

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

I'm raving mad after hearing that Stupid twit talking about how white he likes his velux (or whatever)
    Do i need to F$%$ING know what way he likes his toast, or worse listen to him chewing on it, aggghhhhhhh :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

He needs an open palm slap to the gob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

The ads with Mario Rosenstock really put me off anything he advertises, I just find them annoying.

• Advertisement

That one for sky where every third word is "free" and then the stupid music on the end...... Beam me up Scotty..

The current Ads for Airtricity which, apparently, are done by Charlene McKenna (Raw) http://img.poptower.com/pic-109700/c...nna.jpg?d=1024
    While her husky (?) voice would put me in the mood for something, it's not electricity. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

The current Ads for Airtricity which, apparently, are done by Charlene McKenna (Raw) http://img.poptower.com/pic-109700/c...nna.jpg?d=1024
    While her husky (?) voice would put me in the mood for something, it's not electricity. :D

Agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Ford Transit ad on Newstalk. Unbelievably bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Coffee stain. :mad:

Right it's not an ad but thought I'd stick this one here..

The sports news fella on 98FM, Johnny Lyons.
    Have you heard this guy?

The way he says "..with thanks to Captain America's CookHouse and Bar..serving mouthwatering, flamegrilled hamburgers since 1971..."

Have you heard it?!

Is he saying it in that faux movie-announcer-Americany accent for a laugh?
    Surely he's doing it for a laugh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Have you heard this guy?

The way he says "..with thanks to Captain America's CookHouse and Bar..serving mouthwatering, flamegrilled hamburgers since 1971..."

Have you heard it?!

That's the way Johnny Lyons speaks. He has an...interesting way of speaking. That last Captain America's sponsorship ad had 'rocking music' in it and used to really really over-pronounce the 'r' in 'rocking'.

That's the way Johnny Lyons speaks. He has an...interesting way of speaking. That last Captain America's sponsorship ad had 'rocking music' in it and used to really really over-pronounce the 'r' in 'rocking'.

Everytime I hear him, I think someone has actually bet him to pronounce "mouth-watering" and "flame grilled" in the enthusiastic, OTT way he does.

I sometimes think I can see him smiling to himself as he says it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

LynnGrace wrote: »
    The ads with Mario Rosenstock really put me off anything he advertises, I just find them annoying.

"Funny" voices and wigs are the highest form of comedy in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,513 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you heard this guy?

Have you heard it?!

Think he might have recently moved to Today FM, heard him doing a full sports show worth a couple of weekends ago. It always sounds like he is doing it for the laugh, can't imagine he sounds like that in real life but you never know....

2-1fab4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Jason Byrne ad

annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

One word...

TRANSIT

:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Think he might have recently moved to Today FM, heard him doing a full sports show worth a couple of weekends ago. It always sounds like he is doing it for the laugh, can't imagine he sounds like that in real life but you never know....

2-1fab4.jpg

He's on both stations, 98 during the week and Sundays and is on Today FM on Saturdays. His voice grates on me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

This ad is on Newstalk.

HER: "If there's one thing I know about, It's the stock markets"
    HIM: "Yeah, I'm kinda clueless about all that sorta stuff"
    HER: "I do my trading online"
    HIM: "Yeah, I leave that kinda thing to my advisor"
    HER: "I use Davy Select"
    HIM" "REALLY.....!!!!! SO DO I...!!!!!!":eek:

WTF. Am I missing something here???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Their point is that Davy Select can be used by people who just allow their stockbroker to do all the trading, and can also be used by people who are super involved in their trading too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

dulpit wrote: »
    Their point is that Davy Select can be used by people who just allow their stockbroker to do all the trading, and can also be used by people who are super involved in their trading too.
    But what "clueless" person then says he does online trading?

But what "clueless" person then says he does online trading?

Thee two actors are totally miscast as well - he's too much of dozy git to even be able to find the name of stockbroker and she sounds far too blonde to know anything about the stock market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This has possibly (probably) been mentioned before - but whatever actor it is who advertises the plays in the Gaiety Theatre - always funny ones, and he reads the lines with a little titter in his voice. Current one is John B. Keane's Moll.

They probably are funny, but yer man puts me off going to see any of them.

His false little laugh reading the ad is one of the unfunniest things on radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Pierce brosnans hb ice cream pahdy is back to haunt us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

This ad is on Newstalk.

HER: "If there's one thing I know about, It's the stock markets"
    HIM: "Yeah, I'm kinda clueless about all that sorta stuff"
    HER: "I do my trading online"
    HIM: "Yeah, I leave that kinda thing to my advisor"
    HER: "I use Davy Select"
    HIM" "REALLY.....!!!!! SO DO I...!!!!!!":eek:

Yes, it's annoying but at least it makes sense if you think about it. What about the ad for the airline/airport that I still can't identify. Something about an email, a taxi ride, the heart of London city... wtf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Yes, it's annoying but at least it makes sense if you think about it. What about the ad for the airline/airport that I still can't identify. Something about an email, a taxi ride, the heart of London city... wtf?
    Absolutely.

A lady starts off sending an email and speaking it at the same time while the keys go clickety click. We all speak what we're writing when we are sending an email after all.

Then there's a announcement that the doors are set to automatic and crosscheck (I actually know what that means, but then I'm a geek).

Then there's some confused talk about some business idea.

It all makes Absolutely No Sense Whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I think the point is that she is there before she even finished the email so can tell the person she is meeting the end bit in person - if that makes sense. Took me a while to work it out though. And I think it is London City Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

It would make more sense if the woman typing the email was Irish. Instead them both being English makes it sound like she literally flew from Heathrow to London City instead of getting a Tube...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Who knows? That is just what I assumed - whatever it is it is a rubbish ad as people can't work out what is being advertised.

I only noticed the London City airport bit because I used to live near it. Otherwise I'd be just as mystified. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The VHI clinic for minor injuries do my head in. Okay the fall one and the try one had a reason but the spilling of the coffee was like what you spilt some coffee it be faster to go to the first aid kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,589 ✭✭✭✭L1011

UPC ad where they appear to have recorded the first female VO artist down a single-channel G722 ISDN line, from a very echoey voice booth. Or are they doing it for some odd stylistic reason?

Ad for Velux (?) paint where a really mammy's boy talks with his mouth full - 'I like my toast white and with butter not margarine'....grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Best 'Cover Your Ass' Ad ever:

"UP TO 20% off ALMOST everything this weekend!"

Not a clue where it's for though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,038 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did I hear a Euromillions advert a few weeks back start off with "this weeks jackpot is a guaranteed €25million", then end with "...estimated jackpot".

Either its 25mill or its not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

"Let's get patio'd." The "Joe Duffy" in the advert does my head in. It's for Double L or something like that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement