Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex GF pregnant, is this the right thing to do.

• 05-01-2009 3:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello PI, ye have really helped me in the past and I am hoping ye can now.

Basically the story is, I was going out with a girl, Never had sex with her, but we messed around alot, and I tend to excrete alot of "pre-cum" which I know contains sperm. Then She went back to her hometown for the holidays and while there she decided we were no good for eachother, I don't know why because I had been of the view that we were getting on very well, I was well smitten and Dare I say it, In love. She had said she loves me too, but thats beside the point.

I got a call a few days ago, and turns out she is (most likely) pregnant, she did sleep with another guy, whether before or after she decided we are no good for each other I don't know.

She used a condom and he didn't cum inside her, she says she prefers me, but I suspect that due to the fact that I percieve her to have lonelyness and abandonment issues, I suspect this because I know she hates to be alone, it is something that really scares her, and something I was trying to help her through.

Anyway that's a tangent, We have talked extensively about it, and I suggested that I do a paternity test before she tells the other guy she is pregnant, because she feels he will take it badly. She would be pregnant 1 month now MAX, so I would have to wait at least another 2 months for a paternity test.

This has been on my head constantly since I heard about it, and I was thinking of all scenarios, I then decided to put my thoughts down on a flowchart, as it helps me get things straight in my head,

What I am really asking is for you fine people of PI, to look at my flow chart and tell me if it seems like to the right way to go about this. and for any other helpful comments on this.

Abortion is not an option due to me being absolutely against it. And thankfully her not wanting it.

This is my flowchart I am not sure how well it will show up so if It is bad I will repost in a minute.

Thanks PI

*SNIP*

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For a start, OK pre cum can contain sperm, but in much smaller doses and not as active. As a method of contraception it's not reliable, but it's not as unreliable as many think. That's with full intercourse with withdrawal. If you didn't have penetratative intercourse with this woman, then if she is pregnant with your child, that's one unlucky(lucky) sperm. Yes it's possible, but something doesn't fit for me in this. I'd be looking for a paternity test in a big way.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

unsure wrote:
    she did sleep with another guy, whether before or after she decided we are no good for each other I don't know.
    I'd be asking the questions on that timeline too. If she was making the beast with two backs with this other fella(who tbh I suspect is the daddy) before you got the heave ho, it would colour my attitude to her.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Steve.Pseudonym

If what you say is true, I can't imagine how it could be yours, it's astronomically unlikely.

Also, I'd just like to point out the chain of events: Girl you've never slept with dumps you, sleeps with someone else, and then comes back to you saying she's pregnant because the other guy would take it badly and you're more likely to offer her support, what with you being in love with her and all.

This advice is given out a lot on PI, but seriously, distance yourself from this girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

You ain't the daddy. Well the odds are much more likely that the other guy is according to what you have said. She is looking for someone to mind a baby because the other guy is probably a bit of a douche, hence she hasn't even told him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I can't read your flow chart.

Dates are very important to know- the date her last period started, the dates you were last with her, the dates she was with the other guy. It's not impossible for you to be the daddy but if she's telling the truth about the other guy using a condom then... who knows... one of you has been very unlucky.

• Advertisement

The other thing that slightly raised an eyebrow for me is that you and her were boyfriend and girlfriend and didn't have sex for whatever reason, yet she apparently has a one off with some other guy she wasn't going out with? Dates to be confirmed. Yet she claims now to like you more? What's going on there? Did you not want the sex or did she not? Was it some other reason? Something really doesn't sit well with me on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

wait wait wait just a darn minute!!!!is she even sure she's pregnant?christ if she thinks she's just a month gone it could just boil down to a very late period(very common). has she been to the doc?if she IS, someone was extremely unlucky; you because you didn't cum,him because he used a condom.I'm dubious that she IS pregnant tbh.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OP, when you say she is 'most likely pregnant', has she actually taken a test? And has she been to a doctor to confirm it? I would hold your horses until she confirms that she's definitely pregnant. 1 month pregnant is enough for a test to be positive, she needs to take one if she hasn't already. Lollipops23 is right, it could well be a late period. TBH, if she is pregnant, you'd officially be the most unfortunate guy in history if it turns out to be yours. The odds are much much much greater that it's the other guy's.

Statistically (just had a quick check on Wikipedia) condoms have a 'Perfect Use' Failure rate of 2%, and a 'Typical Use' (more realistic) failure rate of 15%. I couldn't even find a statistic for a woman getting pregnant from pre-cum, without having sex. While it is possible, it's very unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Toots85 wrote: »
    I couldn't even find a statistic for a woman getting pregnant from pre-cum, without having sex. While it is possible, it's very unlikely.

It's something like .4%. Which means that of every 1000 couples using this method of "family planning" 4 a year will get pregnant. It's unlikely, but not impossible. Out of the whole list of things a person never needs to know about themselves, top of mine is that I know that I was conceived this way.

That said in this case where the woman in question doesn't actually know that she is pregnant and she has slept with somebody else I would suspect the OP is not the father if there even is a baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

I have a 12 year old nephew concieved using that very method :D

First things is get a pregnancy test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

littlebug wrote: »
    I can't read your flow chart.

SNIP

That should work. The original was a link to the thumbnail.

Javaboy cool for the dig out re flowchart but have to snip it. Personal detail in it. Also snipped thumbnail in OP's link in case there's more techie types about ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Wibbs wrote: »
    The other thing that slightly raised an eyebrow for me is that you and her were boyfriend and girlfriend and didn't have sex for whatever reason, yet she apparently has a one off with some other guy she wasn't going out with? Dates to be confirmed. Yet she claims now to like you more? What's going on there? Did you not want the sex or did she not? Was it some other reason? Something really doesn't sit well with me on this one.
    Exactly what Im thinking.... Seems awful strange to me here.
    Interested to see what happens here.
    Pregnancy test, then paternity test if needed.
    Hope it works out for you OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Sorry, I'm a bit lost here - If you've never had penetrative sex with her, then how can you possibly be the father?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Unsure, wrote: »

Basically the story is, I was going out with a girl, Never had sex with her, but we messed around alot, and I tend to excrete alot of "pre-cum" which I know contains sperm. Then She went back to her hometown for the holidays and while there she decided we were no good for eachother, I don't know why because I had been of the view that we were getting on very well, I was well smitten and Dare I say it, In love. She had said she loves me too, but thats beside the point.

I got a call a few days ago, and turns out she is (most likely) pregnant, she did sleep with another guy, whether before or after she decided we are no good for each other I don't know.

She used a condom and he didn't cum inside her, she says she prefers me, but I suspect that due to the fact that I percieve her to have lonelyness and abandonment issues, I suspect this because I know she hates to be alone, it is something that really scares her, and something I was trying to help her through.

Anyway that's a tangent, We have talked extensively about it, and I suggested that I do a paternity test before she tells the other guy she is pregnant, because she feels he will take it badly. She would be pregnant 1 month now MAX, so I would have to wait at least another 2 months for a paternity test.

Hi Unsure,
    It sounds like you have a lot to deal with, not a great start to the New Year. From reading your post, the text I highlighted above made alarm bells go off in my head.

I think she is playing you. I don't think she suspects she is pregnant at all. She explicitly told you she had sex with the other guy, but he didn't cum inside her. Now all of a sudden, she suspects she is 1 month pregnant. She has, you say, abandonment issues and is lonely. I know somebody like this myself, and they will pretty much do or say anything in order to get and (try to) keep a partner. I don't think it is fair for her to burden you with this - you are a shoulder to cry on, so to speak, someone who she can get to pay attention to her when nobody else will. I really really hope that I am wrong, and I am sorry if I was very blunt in my post, but my experience where I saw this going on first hand has made me a bit suspicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The odds are against you being the father, if things are as you describe. But only a paternity test will let you know for certain.

It does appear that she has decided that you are the best father material (or perhaps that you are a softer touch) and therefore she has decided to tell you that the baby is yours. We could be doing her an injustice here, but this is how she appears based on what you've told us.

Firstly, get the pregnancy confirmed by a doctor. Then arrange for a paternity test at the earliest possible time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sorry, I'm a bit lost here - If you've never had penetrative sex with her, then how can you possibly be the father?

You don't have to have penetrative sex in order to get pregnant. Prior to ejaculation, the OP may have leaked some pre-cum, which still contains sperms. There is a minute chance that the pre-cum may have ended up near or on her vagina.

The odds are generally against this happening, but it can still happen.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the facts of life. Might be worth a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭BankMan

Very hard to know the whole story, but my instinct says she's a headbanger who isn't pregnant, and is playing sill buggers to generate attention. Wide berth OP, proceed with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

have you ever heard of condom's breaking/tearing. could be possible that they never noticed. i would def ask her if she has done a test or even seen a doc before you start jumping to any conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

How are ye lads, Thanks for all the replies, as it turns out much ado about nothing.

She tells me she is not pregnant, that she had her Period today, which would make me right in telling her that her last period was exactly 30 days ago today. I am still a bit skeptical so As the months wear on I will know if I see her and she has a Bump.

So thanks lads.
    Sincerely
    Pretty Sure.

• Advertisement

Unsure. wrote: »
    How are ye lads, Thanks for all the replies, as it turns out much ado about nothing.

She tells me she is not pregnant, that she had her Period today, which would make me right in telling her that her last period was exactly 30 days ago today. I am still a bit skeptical so As the months wear on I will know if I see her and she has a Bump.

So thanks lads.
    Sincerely
    Pretty Sure.
    Glad to see it all worked out for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Steve.Pseudonym

So thanks lads.
    Sincerely
    Pretty Sure.

Her last period was only 30 days ago and she went to you saying she's pregnant? I have to tell you, I still think you should stay away from her, she sounds like a nut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

It is possible to get pregnant through non penatrative sex. Hghly highly unlikely but possible.

I don't think the OP is the father in this case though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

So thanks lads.
    Sincerely
    Pretty Sure.

Jaysus.

Run man. Dont stop, just run.

Dont take this the wrong way, its an observation not an insult, but you seem incredibly naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Hey Mate

You sound like a very genuine person. and from the sounds of things you're "being taken for a spin". I very much doubt you are the father.

My advice to you is to insist on a Test. If the baby is not yours then it may be best to walk away. As you said you like this girl. I don't know if you want to resume where you left of with this girl (she says she prefers you? why did she leave in the first place then?) personally I would not. I know she said she's scared and alone etc. but she will get through it.

I have seen this situation only once before and it got Very messy after the first couple of months the 3 people involved now hate each other and the babies father is not interested.

Be careful dude

Good Luck

Eh can people please read the thread before posting. In this case the bit where he told us she's not pregnant.

Her last period was only 30 days ago and she went to you saying she's pregnant? I have to tell you, I still think you should stay away from her, she sounds like a nut.
    +1. She sounds a tad unstable TBH. Bullet majorly dodged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Don't ignore what everyone is telling you here mate; RUN! Get away from that girl and stay away! Delete her number, tell her you are seeing someone else and busy if she calls or texts, ignore her, get away from her! From everything that's been said she is really not right in the head and she will continue to push the envelope to see what she can get away with if you don't just cut her out of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

its a relief shes not pregnant now stay away from her she sounds like trouble and clearly was not that into you if she was also getting it on with another guy and messing with your head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

oh and enjoy oz!!!!!!!!!xxxxxxxxxxx

Wibbs wrote: »
    Eh can people please read the thread before posting. In this case the bit where he told us she's not pregnant.
    +1

Advertisement