Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aware 5km&10km - Phoenix Park - 14th of December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Snodge

Does anyone know much about this race? Is it a competitive course? What is the standard generally like?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Snodge wrote: »
    Does anyone know much about this race? Is it a competitive course? What is the standard generally like?

I haven't seen a course map for this year but it's possible that some of the road works will affect the route relative to previous years. As far as I can recall, from doing it two years' ago, the 10k was a 2 x 5k laps. There's the potential for catching up with 5k walkers near the 10k finish but it's likely to only involve a few stragglers rather than any great congestion.

I signed up this year but found the way the organisers had set up the primoevents tool ended up bringing me through to my old everydayhero account, which I only use for marathon fundraising: as a result I nearly cancelled proceeding with the transaction altogether. However, when you got through the process it doesn't actually force you to use any fundraising identity for their 10k event.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

They have changed the route and start times due to the roadworks. Posted on Facebook yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Enjoyed this, challenging enough with the wind and the tight course. Lap 2 of the 10k quite congested once we started lapping the walker, but not the kind of event to complain about this. Course possibly a little short? Plenty of grub at the end, and a very good atmosphere throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Must say I really enjoyed that, it was my first ever organised race and I thought the atmosphere was great. Interesting to see you also mentioned it being slightly short Murph_D, anyone I know that tracked the run on strava etc came in with a 9.9xkm. Will do it again next year though for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭patob

10km was well short I made 9.64km. very enjoyable and we'll run otherwise. That wind in Chesterfield Ave was seriously Arctic.

patob wrote:
    10km was well short I made 9.64km. very enjoyable and we'll run otherwise. That wind in Chesterfield Ave was seriously Arctic.

5k measured 4.82k on my Garmin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

patob wrote: »

9.61km on my Garmin.

The run in was a shambles. One guy saying 10k stay left at the start of furze road. Girl at finish line telling us to go right.

Seemed to be issues with non sending of race numbers by post too. Seemed to be a good few people at the tent this morning complaining about that

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    9.61km on my Garmin.

The run in was a shambles. One guy saying 10k stay left at the start of furze road. Girl at finish line telling us to go right.

Seemed to be issues with non sending of race numbers by post too. Seemed to be a good few people at the tent this morning complaining about that

Shambles? That’s a bit strong IMO. Seemed to go off well. It’s marketed as a run rather than a race, so no real issues as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Murph_D wrote: »
    Shambles? That’s a bit strong IMO. Seemed to go off well. It’s marketed as a run rather than a race, so no real issues as far as I can see.

Ah come on

One Marshall telling you to go left
    Another telling you to go right

As a result I saw 3 or 4 people have near misses with the crash barriers at the finish line as a result. It also didn't help that people were confused due to the course being the guts of 500m short

Just get the basics right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

I enjoyed it, a nice friendly atmosphere, plenty of free-bee food/drink stalls etc.

Alas it was short. Although my Garmin isn't great at measuring u-turns, and there were four of those on account of the two laps, it was probably 200+ metres short.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4337567029

I was a bit grumpy at the start, as I didn't see a starting mat, so presumed that the gun time would be the chip time, i.e. the chip would really just be for measuring laps, finishers etc. However, the 15-20 sec shuffle at the start wasn't anything to worry about in the end, as the start did have a chip activation point, and there was a fair measurement of gun time/chip time.

Another positive with the start was the colour coding of 5k and 10k bibs, e.g. even if people were standing around nattering, (ignoring the exhortations of the chap with the megaphone), the bib colour dawned on them and they went back to the 5k gathering point after a while.

I don't think the stewards can be criticised for the on-course directions: the chap on Furze Road had been told 'get the 10k runners to keep left, as they've a second lap to go; get the 5k to the right, as their finish is one lap and they need to be to the right of the crash barrier in order to leave the course'. Unfortunately, on the 10k second lap he was still advising people keep left: at that point the 5k walker groups were crossing the finish at the same time as the 10k runners but, given that there was no third lap for the runners to do, it didn't matter whether they were left or right of the crash barrier.

On that point the steward nearer the finish had presumably been told 'get the finishers to go to the right-hand side of the barrier, and those with another lap should go to the left'. In that regard there were probably 10k walkers still only crossing the line to do another lap at the same time as 5k walkers and 10k running finishers. So the steward urged us to 'go to the right' for those with yellow bibs who looked like they hadn't another lap to go. Alas I was one of those who nearly ran into the crash barrier, as I'd a few other finishers/windshields just in front of me, which left me slightly blinded at the point they split left/right of the barrier at the end.

Overall, for a charity fun-run type event it was pleasant and enjoyable. The set-up and technology were good, so presumably it was organised by one of the professional event management companies (e.g. Aware mightn't have been getting too much from the entry fee at the end of the day). One problem with a mix of professional and volunteers for organisation and stewarding is that sometimes the volunteer mightn't have race experience and so may not get the distinction between the category of runner and walker at each distance.

Ah come on

One Marshall telling you to go left
    Another telling you to go right

As a result I saw 3 or 4 people have near misses with the crash barriers at the finish line as a result. It also didn't help that people were confused due to the course being the guts of 500m short

Just get the basics right

What you're describing about directions is pretty minor. Left or right wouldn't have affected result. I just ran to the left because the 10k clock was on that side. No reports of any barrier injuries that I know of. :) Short course is a more serious error. (You say 'guts of 500m' short yet you measured 9.7k. I'd say 200-250m short.)

If it had not been marketed as a fun run the above would be more serious issues. Personally I always expect fun runs or charity runs to be badly measured though. That way I'm not too disappointed when it happens. But you're right in saying this is a basic that could be gotten right if they had more people on board who care (or even know) about this sort of thing. For me, there were far more positives than negatives about the run, so I'll forgive the shortcomings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Murph_D wrote: »

Poster likes to be controversial D......

9.61km on my Garmin.

Ah would get a grip! Was the run slightly short? Yes. (Was the course changed last minute yes!) and both people that advised you were right (they were 1km apart) if you followed each direction there was no issue.

A charity run, had a fantastic atmosphere for all levels of athlete and was run very well. It must be tiring every morning getting up and deciding what to get annoyed about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

5k was short also. Agree its a run not a race but thats a bit disappointing. Otherwise, good charity event.

LaHaine wrote:
    5k was short also. Agree its a run not a race but thats a bit disappointing. Otherwise, good charity event.

Anyone else not have a result showing on myrunresults?

Anyone else not have a result showing on myrunresults?

Happened my girlfriend, she emailed them and they sent it back straight away.

Advertisement