Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callan Stuff

Options
  • 13-10-2016 7:08pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought it would be nice to start up a new thread about this and that in Callan, this isn't of course just a thread to moan about Aldi or Supervalue. :)

So, first up.
    I see the small collection of houses on Green Lane has finally been sold, any idea who bought them?

399094.gif

Seems sad that these were initially half built, then they finished them during the recession (which seemed odd), then scumbags make ****e of the houses and set one on fire and then finally the whole place was boarded up and fenced. Seems an awful waste of money.

My previous understanding is Ulster Bank financed them so I'm guessing they also sold them off in the end

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Being boarded up aside...they are not pretty houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I've always thought there's great potential in buying two semi-d and connecting them inside. Wouldn't touch a bubble era semi otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Ya I heard they were bought for very little. Probably a lot of work needed to finish them off though.

Also I see the lockes have a junior county final to play. Against the winners of mooncoin/paulstown. Probably start as outsiders but every chance of beating either of those two

• Registered Users Posts: 22,229 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

To the cyclist who was cycling out near the Callan golf club this evening would you please wear high vis clothing or at least have a light on your bike. You were lucky i saw you in time. You must have a death wish to cycle in the pitch dark wearing only black and no lights on you or the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Autosport wrote: »
    To the cyclist who was cycling out near the Callan golf club this evening would you please wear high vis clothing or at least have a light on your bike. You were lucky i saw you in time. You must have a death wish to cycle in the pitch dark wearing only black and no lights on you or the bike.

Funny you mention that I know something else that mentioned a cyclist on the new line the other night as well (not yesterday). Curious if its the same death wish cyclist.

Did your cyclist have a carrier on the bike by any chance?

Cabaal wrote:
    Funny you mention that I know something else that mentioned a cyclist on the new line the other night as well (not yesterday). Curious if its the same death wish cyclist.

The new line is absolutely lethal for cyclists/walkers if there not well lit up.
    Since its so long and narrow you stare into the oncoming cars lights for quiet awhile. Hard to see anything else.

Cabaal wrote: »

Did your cyclist have a carrier on the bike by any chance?

They had a back pack which of course was black aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Lots of the Camphill community like to walk and cycle those roads, they may simply have not known any better

Virtanen wrote: »
    Lots of the Camphill community like to walk and cycle those roads, they may simply have not known any better

They always wear high vis jackets :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They always wear high vis jackets :)

Not all of them from what I've seen, there's some that seem to cycle to/from Callan that don't the odd time.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Although not from Callan originally (and have no direct relations on the wall) I've lived here now for a number of years, and I think an excellent job was made of the recent WW1 Memorial installation

401976.jpg

Well I met this cyclist again this evening and they're getting there, light on the front of the bike and some reflective patches on him but no rear light so I do apologise for putting my full lights on so I could actually see where you were on the road but I then dimmed so I wouldn't blind you anymore.

Yet another crash on the Callan Bypass at the Weststreet Junction yesterday, this is starting to become a common thing.

The road is 100km/hour limit and its a very busy junction (the busiest out of the town by far) and there's a serious lack of lane space to allow traffic putting into the town to get out of the way of the main road.

Before they put in the footpath (see google streetview photo) there was a lane for cars to pull into but since the council put in the footpath this was removed and now many cars almost stop dead in the road when pulling in which is seriously dangerous.

406811.PNG

I do think a footpath needs to exist along the bypass as its a very popular walking route and it makes things much safer for walkers but the council really need to make changes to this junction perhaps including reducing the speed limit for this entire section.

I'm open to correction here, but was it not a car coming from the Clonmel side of that junction (which has a feeder lane to turn right) that just cut the corner, and hit the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Spocker wrote: »
    I'm open to correction here, but was it not a car coming from the Clonmel side of that junction (which has a feeder lane to turn right) that just cut the corner, and hit the bus?

I passed by it last night, and what I could see was the bus wasn't in the stop box and was about 6 feet past it, so I took it as the bus thought the car was past and took off, it was the rear of the car that was hit.

I don't know how a car could hit it in the position it was in.

2 ambulances sent for, was anyone hurt?

Sorry to interrupt...but does anyone know who runs the gym at the pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

Callan got a couple of mentions on Fair City last night:)

I see Kerwicks in Green St has been sold, any ideas who bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Phil MaCrackin

Hey all,
    Anyone any idea what the council are doing on Chapel lane this week?
    Or maybe its not the council and its some other crowd installing fiber maybe?
    Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Its a new footpath - there were submissions to the Local Area Plan recently for that (dangerous for walkers, and folks going to/from Church to Aldi - looks like the council have come good on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

The footpath is a welcome development and much needed. You would wonder though is it confirmation that the field behind The Meadows won't be built on anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Phil MaCrackin

I’d say it will be built on eventually, and I can also see the lane being made a one-way, towards Aldi.... I hope they are putting a duct under the path for future fiber rollout.... oh wait, it’s the council... never mind....

I’d say it will be built on eventually, and I can also see the lane being made a one-way, towards Aldi.... I hope they are putting a duct under the path for future fiber rollout.... oh wait, it’s the council... never mind....

can't have forward thinking like that now!
    :pac:

Advertisement