Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hit and run

• 01-10-2016 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Last night, while sitting in a row of traffic at a red light, the car in front reversed back into me. I got out and the fella seemed a bit dosey which I'm thinking now could have been stoned. I gave out to him as my pregnant sister was in the car and my niece.

I saw him going to get back into his car so I flew around and took a pick of his insurance details before he sped off breaking a read light.

I reported it to the guards, there's no visible damage but you never know why could have been done to the inside. My question is, would you ring his insurance company to let them know what happened and let them know he left the scene of an accident? Would you bother ringing them if your not claiming?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

linpoo wrote: »
    Last night, while sitting in a row of traffic at a red light, the car in front reversed back into me. I got out and the fella seemed a bit dosey which I'm thinking now could have been stoned. I gave out to him as my pregnant sister was in the car and my niece.

I saw him going to get back into his car so I flew around and took a pick of his insurance details before he sped off breaking a read light.

I reported it to the guards, there's no visible damage but you never know why could have been done to the inside. My question is, would you ring his insurance company to let them know what happened and let them know he left the scene of an accident? Would you bother ringing them if your not claiming?

Its a criminal offence to leave the scene of an accident, what did the guards say?

As for your question, I'd suggest ringing your own Insurer first and advising them of what happened, be sure to stress you aren't making a claim but its just in case yer man suddenly decides you rear ended him. Its unlikely to happen given what you outlined above however it's better to be safe than sorry.

Ask their advice about reporting him to his own company. They may decide that they will do it on your behalf. I'm sure its something they (his insurer) would be very interested in knowing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

Its a criminal offence to leave the scene of an accident, what did the guards say?

As for your question, I'd suggest ringing your own Insurer first and advising them of what happened, be sure to stress you aren't making a claim but its just in case yer man suddenly decides you rear ended him. Its unlikely to happen given what you outlined above however it's better to be safe than sorry.

Ask their advice about reporting him to his own company. They may decide that they will do it on your behalf. I'm sure its something they (his insurer) would be very interested in knowing anyway.

The garda I spoke to didn't seem too bothered tbh. Suppose they've bigger fish to fry. I even said he seemed stoned and she didn't flinch.

Yeah I think il ring the insurance company just to let them know. We've actually the same insurance company funnily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

linpoo wrote:
    The garda I spoke to didn't seem too bothered tbh.

So frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Maybe this guys was stoned or drunk, but an increase of "hit & run" incidents is to be unfortunately expected with the current insurance situation. People will try and run away, especially if say they hit a parked car, when they can't think "oh snap, at least I have insurance, no problem!" but have to think "oh sh1t, if I make a claim now I'll be priced out of driving / refused cover by all companies!". It's no justification at all, but a near future problem we'll have to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

1. +1 notify your insurers.

2. Ring and then write to the other parties insurers notifying them of the accident.

3. Ask your sister and your niece (if she is not very young) to write down their recollections of events and forward those to your insurers when completing the accident report form which I expect them to send you. It helps to have a contemporaneous record of vents in case things go pear- shaped.

• Advertisement
Advertisement