Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit for NCB from abroad

Options
  • 26-09-2016 3:00pm

A colleague moved to Ireland earlier this year on a permanent job and has been looking to buy a car. He has a full NCB in France. He left his old car in France at his parents place and has kept it taxed and insured with the view to possibly use it there at Christmas etc.

His broker here obtained a good quote for insurance, giving credit for his NCB in France. However he then queered the pitch by saying that he would have to give up his insurance in France (and thereby the car there) as this was the only way that the insurance company here would give credit for his NCB. Without this the cost of insurance in Ireland would be prohibitive for him as he would have to be insured as a first time driver.

This doesnt seem right to me but he is adamant that this is what he was told. Does it make sense and if so is there a better approach for him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

What the insurance company here say is true.

He would have to give up his insurance policy in france in order to use the NCD anywhere else.

Its basic that a NCB cannot be used on two cars at the same time.

He would need to cancel in france and get a no claims cert from there. But also it will have to be offically translated to english too for our underwriters here in ireland.

Its just the insurance in france that irish insurers need , whatever about the registration of the car in france, thats a different issue for tax etc in that country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Let me just clarify your remark. It's basic in Ireland. In many other countries the NCB is earned by the driver and can be used multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Senecio wrote: »
    Let me just clarify your remark. It's basic in Ireland. In many other countries the NCB is earned by the driver and can be used multiple times.

Thanks for that. I'm not too sure on the workings of other countries insurance, i only speak for rep. Of Ireland. (I should've made that clear)

Senecio wrote: »

Yes, thats what I would have thought too. The NCB is a mark of the drivers record, not of a specific car.

So he has to cancel his insurance in France, then insure the new car in Ireland. I presume he could then recontact the French insurance company and see if they will reinsure the existing car there. I would be amazed if they would insist on insuring him as a new driver, having insured him, with no claims for 10 years.. it makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

He would have to give up his insurance policy in france in order to use the NCD anywhere else.

Thanks for that. I'm not too sure on the workings of other countries insurance, i only speak for rep. Of Ireland. (I should've made that clear)

You actually quite sounded like you meant it works like that nearly everywhere else...

In fact it's probably only Ireland (and maybe UK - not sure) where NCB can be used only on one vehicle at the time, and if you purchase another one (have 2 vehicles) you have to collect NCB on it from scratch on second one.

In most places, you can use your NCB on as many cars/policies as you wish.
    Only tricky thing is, that if you claim on one of those policies, you will loose NCB on all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Yes, thats what I would have thought too. The NCB is a mark of the drivers record, not of a specific car.

So he has to cancel his insurance in France, then insure the new car in Ireland. I presume he could then recontact the French insurance company and see if they will reinsure the existing car there. I would be amazed if they would insist on insuring him as a new driver, having insured him, with no claims for 10 years.. it makes no sense.

It makes no sense, but unfortunately it's a fact here in Ireland.
    All policies state that you can only use your NCB on one policy at the time.

I was lucky when I got my first policy in Ireland in 2007, they accepted my Polish NCB, and didn't ask for proof that the Polish policy was not in force anymore. I think they must have assumed, that if my Polish insurer issued NCB statement, that meant that policy was not in force anymore. Obviously this was not true (I still had my car there) but they didn't really have any way to check it.

But a year later, my friend was trying the same, and it wasn't possible anymore. Irish insurer was asking for letter from Polish insurer to confirm that policy in Poland was not in force anymore (cancelled or expired).

So I belive that's the case ever since...

I can update a little. He contacted his insurance company in France yesterday and had a surreal conversation with them as they couldn't get their head around the Irish conditions. They had no problem at all to send out a NCB statement for him to give to the Irish company, but got a little difficult when he told them that he wanted to cancel the policy immediately, as they couldn't understand, if the car was not being destroyed why he wouldn't simply let the policy run out. Apparently they wanted three months notice to actually allow him out of the policy there.

I can't see any logic in the Irish rule.

Vice versa, if an Irish person emigrates and buys insurance abroad, that doesn't invalidate any existing insurance he would have on a car in Ireland, does it?

Advertisement