Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STEAM CLEANERS?? which one to buy?? good value??

Options
  • 19-08-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

hey i was just looking for advice on steam cleaners and which one to buy that actually do what they say they do?? :)
    looking for one especially for floors and couchs and things like that oh and i seen somewhere online that some of them have a department for disenfectant and soap and stuff can anyone please enlighten me on this?? ha thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I have bought 2 of them over the years. Useless gadgets. Total waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Lorelei

phaidi wrote: »
    hey i was just looking for advice on steam cleaners and which one to buy that actually do what they say they do?? :)
    looking for one especially for floors and couchs and things like that oh and i seen somewhere online that some of them have a department for disenfectant and soap and stuff can anyone please enlighten me on this?? ha thanks :)

It depends on what you want to do and the areas that you are looking at. For floors up to about 180square foot there is a good one from Argos with a work time of up to 45 minutes. Costs around € 80.00. This can also be used on tiled surfaces. Any larger area then you are starting to move into the commercial size machines.
    A steam cleaners using disinfectant and detergent? 1 The heat would destroy any chemicals before they actually get onto the surface you are cleaning. 2 You shouldn't need any detergents with a steam cleaner thats the whole idea of steam cleaning
    I suspect you are thinking of a hot water spray/extraction system for cleaning carpets and upholstery. These are often referred to as steam cleaners they aren't they use water which has been heated to a high temperature (in the 90s).
    Steam on carpets and upholstery in will cause the fabric to shrink. It is OK to use on spots but not to clean an entire carpet or piece of furniture.
    If you want more advice PM me.
    Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is there one that can be used on pillows/mattresses/curtains and the like?

The same applies to mattresses and uphostery (furniture) chance of damage, also you will probably find that it takes longer for a mattress to dry. if you want those cleaned you're best bet is either to get someone in or to hire a carpet cleaning machine (make sure that you get the upholstery hand tool with it).
    As to curtains if they are backed you don't know what is between the surfaces and once more possibility of damage. If a simple cloth - cotton type you could clean with a carpet cleaning machine. Best method though is to take them to a dry cleaner.
    I would not use a steam cleaner or any textiles as said previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I have bought two over the years, €400 for the first broke and €100 for the second which I bought in Argos. Biggest down side they don't extract the water so lots of towels used. FYI wouldn't boy one again.

• Advertisement

femur is quite right there is no water extraction, which is the problem when cleaning fabrics as the water dries it "tightens" and stretches the textile so causing shrinkage and possible tearing.
    We use a small one from Argos for certain tasks and find it OK cost under € 100.0 we also use large commercial for outside areas one which cost around € 800.00 and the second over 3k.
    Basically buying anythint between 100 adn 750 or so appear to be a waste of time and money. You are not going to get a machine for 300 or so which does a brilliant job.
    Anyway a steam cleaner is not suitable for the OP's needs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

The hall and kitchen in the house i recently bought are tiled, (Tiles with ridges) and the dirt seems to get stuck in the ridges. I moved the fridge to clean around it the other day and was horrified to discover the tiles are about 10 shades darker in the 'traffic' areas of the house.

Would a steam cleaner be suitable for giving these a once over? Or would it be better to hire someone in??

A steam clean would probably clean up your tiles. As to the discolouration this is a different question, the protective coatings have been worn away and dirt is now sitting in the pores as well as the effect of light. It may well be that you need someone in to recoat and bring the surface back up to its orginal.
    I would suggest try steam cleaning and mop with a clean micro fibre mop after. If the floor comes up then fine if not then you probably will need someone to come in.
    Besides time you won't have lost anything trying this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Cheers.... Off to Argos i go!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hoocher

Hi All
    We recently moved into a house and I have noticed that the kitchen cupboards have a lot of grease stains on them which no amount of scrubbing seems to remove. I am hoping a steam cleaner would do the job but have never used one before. Lots of people on this thread seem quite experienced with them so can you advise if anyone has ever used a steam cleaner for such a job. Just dont want to damage the cabinets!! Thanks alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 inchamakinna

hi is the x5 steam cleaner any good

Hi Hoocher,
    Would advise against using a steam gun on any wood direct the heat and moisture could cause the wood to be damaged. If they're MDF then no could about it they will cause damage.
    If the steam cleaner has a brush fitting wrap a towel around the brush and then clean having said that if the grease is deep in the surface then good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Please don't resurrect ancient threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement