Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Appliance in Northern Ireland?

• 02-11-2008 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Does anyone know if home appliances are cheaper in NI? I need to buy a condenser dryer and am wondering if it is worth my while to wait until my next trip to Belfast to get one.

Also, does anyone know the name of some of the major NI appliance stores (equivalent to PowerCity/DID electrical)? If I could look them up on the web, I might be able to compare prices.

Thanks in advance for any info.

CG

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Just a thought: if you buy an appliance in the north will their service engineers come down and repair it if anything fails on it while under guarantee? If not, it could cost you a lot more in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Just a thought: if you buy an appliance in the north will their service engineers come down and repair it if anything fails on it while under guarantee? If not, it could cost you a lot more in the long run.

Your warranty will be fine. When you purchase whitegoods in NI, just fill out the reg card like you would with any appliance you would buy here.
    Your covered by the manufacturer and they have their own service agents here to fix anything in your warrnty period.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭joeirish

i bought a fridge in NI last year and had in couriered to Clare. Model I wanted was not available here. Anyway the warranty does NOT apply in Ireland if the model is not on sale here. I don't know if this also applies to items that are on sale in both places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

joeirish wrote: »
    i bought a fridge in NI last year and had in couriered to Clare. Model I wanted was not available here. Anyway the warranty does NOT apply in Ireland if the model is not on sale here. I don't know if this also applies to items that are on sale in both places.

Not entirely true. You can return the item to your supplier in NI if you are stuck - so, you still have warranty options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

How much is the condenser dryer in the south??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

i'd say any saving to be made is much greater since the last months fall in Sterling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

Also, does anyone know the name of some of the major NI appliance stores (equivalent to PowerCity/DID electrical)? If I could look them up on the web, I might be able to compare prices.
    CG

if anyone knows names of appliance stores i'd be grateful, need to look up a few places myself.. Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

currys are in newry but u have to order first i believe. im gonna head up north today for a new washing machine. would love to know names of other appliance stores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

goz83 wrote: »
    currys are in newry but u have to order first i believe. im gonna head up north today for a new washing machine. would love to know names of other appliance stores

My info was wrong. Went to Currys and was able to buy a new washing machine there and then to take home to Dublin. Oh and the warranty is north and south too.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

goz83 wrote: »
    My info was wrong. Went to Currys and was able to buy a new washing machine there and then to take home to Dublin. Oh and the warranty is north and south too.
    Care to divulge what you bought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

Anyone know of a Electrical Shop in Northern Ireland

that will deliver in the south I am looking at an Upright freezer

The model I want is 370Sterling in north and 470Euro in Power City

thx

mylesm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Have a look through the shopping in northern Ireland thread, I think someone said that Currys deliver to the south for £20.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Threads merged, I have a feeling this could become a regular topic in the coming months...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sirivor

Tyring to call Currys to see if they have a TV in stock but none of their numbers seem to work from the South. Anyone know of how to get in contact with them?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Broche07

I'm doing the same thing at the moment and I've come across http://www.samsyerman.co.uk/ and another crowd called http://www.dr-electric.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mndgz

Looking to buy quite a few appliances such as a fridge freezer, a dishwasher, a built-in cooker, a washing mashine and a dryer, was thinking of the northern ireland option...

any suggestions on would it be worth going up from galway, the trip would cost around 300 between van rental, babysitter, etc....and with the pound going up against the euro recently and all...?

or would it be a better option just to buy everything from one place up there and get it all delivered?

any input will be appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

mndgz wrote: »
    Looking to buy quite a few appliances such as a fridge freezer, a dishwasher, a built-in cooker, a washing mashine and a dryer, was thinking of the northern ireland option...

any suggestions on would it be worth going up from galway, the trip would cost around 300 between van rental, babysitter, etc....and with the pound going up against the euro recently and all...?

or would it be a better option just to buy everything from one place up there and get it all delivered?

any input will be appreciated
    €300 makes it expensive, but most probably still worth it. Another suggestion would be to consider buying online from a NI shop. Argos.co.uk as an example are reportedly delivering to Dublin for €25 while charging sterling prices on the goods. I recently bought a buggy from them that translated to €112 on my ccard while in Ireland Argos was selling it for 190...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sailing girl

Hi, I'm trying to buy a zanussi zwc 1300 washing machine and none of the main shops in dublin will order it for me.(its very small and expensive). I've seen it on the currys website in Belfast but can't contact them directly to see if they have it in stock or better still if they are will to deliver it for me. Any help or numbers would be appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have a hotpoint Aquaeries CTD00 condenser dryer i bought up north. I will never buy this model again up north. Google the model number and you will see the problems. It might be a good idea to do the same with the model your considering buying.

THanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, neither of them stock it. Thanks anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Clanc

I've been on the lookout for a new fridge freezer this week after my 8 old one died.
    I was after a tall unit, max 60cm wide, with a large frost free freezer, and after a fair bit of comparison in DID, PowerCity, HarveyNorman and Currys in Blanchardstown and on the web, I settled on the Hotpoint FF200LG in Currys.

However, since the fridge section of Currys Irish website links directly to their UK site, I called them to confirm the Euro price for the model advertised in the UK at £470. When they said €779, and that AFTER their "UK VAT rate in the South" gimmick, I nearly fell over, and asked if they really seriously expect people to pay this differential. The guy went off to speak to someone and came back asking for my number as he agreed it seemed too much and wanted to call head office.
    He called back 30 mins later to say it was an oversight and as aresult of my query, the southern price is going to be reduced to €599 later this week.

£470 at todays rate is about €520, not counting the cost of getting it shipped down here, so I'd say that's an unexpected result, and it's definitely worth asking the question.

By the way, before anyone asks, I have no connection with nor interest in Currys.

Hey,
    I'm amazed at these quick replies. Sounds about right. The sterling to euro price differential is incredible. I've been seeing it all day and it is angering me when I hear people complaining about shopping in the north. I'd be a fool not to. Why the difference? THATS THE PROBLEM instead of giving people grief for trying to save money. Mary Coughlin if I remember told us to shop around.

Thanks for replying and
    DO you have anumber for the currys you called?

I got it from the golden pages

The Blanchardstown store is (01)8025757 and they weren't very interested there at all, however it was my "local" store in Navan (046)9098800 where the guy went out of his way to help.
    I was just looking on their website, but there is no email address where I can send him a bit of praise.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have used an alternative method.

Many UK mainland online retailers offer free delivery to any address in the UK on top of an excellent price to start with.

I wanted a particular AEG dishwasher that was unavailable here, so I ordered it from http://www.redhillappliances.co.uk/ and had them deliver it to http://transbridgefreight.co.uk/

They then on shipped it to me here in a rural location.

You obviously have to T things up with Transbridge so they can expect the delivery and know where to send it and with the supplier to ensure they deliver during business hours, but the results are worth it.

I just went and ordered my fridge at Currys, €600 including delivery (down from €779).

It does piss me off that the same one is available for £430 with free delivery in UK/NI from Redhill, but my old one is now broken a week and while I'd dearly love to go that route, the missus will kill me if it takes any longer.

That said, I am impressed that there was someone in Currys willing to take the initiative to "save the deal" and I've gotten their irish cust service email address and have sent off a message to thank him.
    Unfortunately I came across another 1 or 2 salespersons in Currys who couldn't have cared less and didn't bother to try.

All in all it is worth expressing your outrage, sometime it does work, but we're still being ripped off every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MarysCross

We've bought appliances of Dalzell's in Markethill and they've delivered for free to Monaghan Town. Here's their link http://www.armaghelectrical.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

is there any chance that i could bring something i bought in currys up north back to a currys in the south??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lastboyscout

Hey all,
    Has anyone tried Pixmania.com
    Im currently looking to buy a SAMSUNG UE40F6400 - LED 3D Smart TV €579 (Free Felivery)
    Its by far the cheapest. Ive tried all the other options in the North ive even tried these www.bundlebox.com www.richersounds.ie
    All im saying is try Pixmania.com first

Adi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Hey all,
    Im currently looking to buy a SAMSUNG UE40F6400 - LED 3D Smart TV €579 (Free Felivery)
    Its by far the cheapest. Ive tried all the other options in the North ive even tried these www.bundlebox.com www.richersounds.ie

Adi

They don't have a very good reputation. They tried a bait-and-switch on me a few years ago on a Panasonic Plasma. They said they had it, i paid for it, they said it was out of stock, but would I like this one... I did get a refund after several phone calls.

I ended up buying it on eBay for less everything, particularly hassle.

Is it the same as this by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,491 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hey all,

Yes, lots of people on boards who have reported terrible customer service.

Pathetic.

Pixmania started off as a French mail order company selling digital cameras, hence their name. They were eventually bought by DSG, the parent company of Dixons/PC World/Currys who moved the customer care centre to Romania at which point their service and reputation rapidly went down the tubes and nowadays they can't wait to get rid of it. It's been for sale for a while now but such is it's crap reputation that nobody seems willing to buy it.

coylemj wrote: »
    YPixmaniats of people onve boarelsewherewho have reported terrible customer service.

Pathetic.

Pixmania started off as a French mail order company selling digital cameras, hence their name. They were eventually bought by DSG, the parent company of Dixons/PC World/Currys who moved the customer care centre to Romania at which point their service and reputation rapidly went down the tubes and nowadays they can't wait to get rid of it. It's been for sale for a while now but such is it's crap reputation that nobody seems willing to buy it.

Well i must be the odd one out
    Ive spent about €1000 with Pixmania so far and have no problems yet
    Believe me if something went wrong id be quick to shop elsewhere
    I was going to buy that Samsung off them but saw a bigger 42' LG tv in Littlewoods for the same price
    So thats wherel i will buy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

Well i must be the odd one out
    Ive spent about €1000 with Pixmania so far and have no problems yet
    Believe me if something went wrong id be quick to shop elsewhere
    I was going to buy that Samsung off them but saw a bigger 42' LG tv in Littlewoods for the same price
    So thats wherel i will buy it

I'm the same I've shopped with them for years, bought cameras, computers, TV equipment and never once that a bad experience. Had equipment break and once contacted they sent a courier to my door to collect the
    goods and a replacement or refund was provided.
    I recommend them to all my family and friends.

Same here
    Ive recommended Pixmania to other people and friends
    So far alls ok

Advertisement