Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cooker Hood Lights...

• 10-11-2009 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

My cooker hood lights have gone, replaced bulbs but still no joy, extraction fan is still working though. Has anyone experienced similar issue, how did you resolve? I'm thinking I need to call in a sparky... Thanks so much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 essentialjc

Hi, I found the same problem - mine was a build up of grease in the elemens were the bulb screws in - give it a clean and adjust how tight the bulbs are screwed in

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mjmorrisroe

Cheers fella, I'll give that a try this evening... Nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Let me know how you get on. Having the same issue.

Gave the cooker hood a good clean, still no joy. Must be the light fixtures as fan still works. Have asked supplier for spares http://kks.ie/ - I'll keep you posted.

It's the switch circuit board which is screwed.. Sourcing spare from KKS... Tel: +353 1 6262314, Email: sales@kks.ie - Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

I have a very similar issue. The circuit board has 4 buttons/leds, buttons 1-3 control fan speed and 4 controls thee lights. Fan works perfectly on all speeds. However, when button 4 is pressed the led comes on and I can hear a click (like a relay) but the lights do not come on.

I have checked all the wiring and cant see anything obvious. I also took out the circuit board (which does not have any obvious burned tracks) and cleaned with electronic parts cleaner and still no joy. Not sure if replacing the circuit board will help but will try that first.

The hood is a Powerpoint CH581.

Im stumped and would appreciate any advice/comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

GEO147 wrote: »
    I have a very similar issue. The circuit board has 4 buttons/leds, buttons 1-3 control fan speed and 4 controls thee lights. Fan works perfectly on all speeds. However, when button 4 is pressed the led comes on and I can hear a click (like a relay) but the lights do not come on.

I have checked all the wiring and cant see anything obvious. I also took out the circuit board (which does not have any obvious burned tracks) and cleaned with electronic parts cleaner and still no joy. Not sure if replacing the circuit board will help but will try that first.

The hood is a Powerpoint CH581.

Im stumped and would appreciate any advice/comments.

Have the same problem, did you sort out yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭desoc32

Local electrician here. It's just a matter of replacing the glass fuse inside the cooker hood. This tends to blow when a bulb blows so when you replace the bulbs they will not work until the fuse is also changed. The extractor fan will keep working as this is fused at the spur/socket. The bulbs can also be quite hard to get and expensive.

desoc32 wrote: »
    Local electrician here. It's just a matter of replacing the glass fuse inside the cooker hood. This tends to blow when a bulb blows so when you replace the bulbs they will not work until the fuse is also changed. The extractor fan will keep working as this is fused at the spur/socket. The bulbs can also be quite hard to get and expensive.

Cheers Des,

I will check that out later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

There is no glass fuse inside the power supply box, 2x fuse/resistors which are ok, looks like the transfromer for the 12v output to the bulbs is cooked, shown open circuit on one of the windings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭desoc32

Sorry i'm thinking of the hoods installed up in Eden Gate. They are a Beaumatic brand (just checked) and have mains r50? style lamps in them. Never been called to look at that particular brand so not too familiar but could be the trafo alright if low voltage bulbs in it.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

It'll be the traffo that's gone in it if the fan is still working alright.

you can retro fit another transformer into the hood and leave the broken one in place if you can't get it out easy enough job to do yourself or if not to competent get a spark in. If your are gonna have a go yourself plug it out there'll be a socket either above the units or in the extractor fan surround.

PM me if you need any help :)

leeomurchu wrote: »
    It'll be the traffo that's gone in it if the fan is still working alright.

you can retro fit another transformer into the hood and leave the broken one in place if you can't get it out easy enough job to do yourself or if not to competent get a spark in. If your are gonna have a go yourself plug it out there'll be a socket either above the units or in the extractor fan surround.

PM me if you need any help :)

Great info thanks. Any chance of a how to?

Great info thanks. Any chance of a how to?

Post a picture of the hood cover off and I'll talk you through it.

you'll need to pic up a standard 50w/12v traffo from wholesalers don't go to woodies they're pricey N.E.W on boghall rd, bray will have one.

Disconnect hood plug out or it may be on a switched spur (switch off and pull fuse) Once you get the cover off the traffo will be attached to the side of the motor housing might not be though but it's in there. You should see cables running from lights to traffo.

Basically the traffo will have a primary and a secondary winding primary side 240V (mains supply to fan) and secondary side 12V (this will be the side the lights are connected to) When you buy your traffo disconnect the sec side of old traffo(lights) and connect to sec side of new traffo then disconnect prim side of old traffo and connect to prim side of new traffo doing it this way will save confusion and mixing up cables.

Once you've done all this tidy cables and you may need to cable tie the new traffo inside to make secure (cable tie to a plastic clip or other cable tie already in place nothing that will move)

Before you go down this route I'm assuming you've replaced the lamps with same wattage lamps and in doing so you've not touched the lamps with your fingers as the acid in you skin will transfer to the glass and once you turn them on they'll burn out again.

Let me know how you get on I'll be n charlesland myself on sat so if you're stuck pm me and I'll drop into we'll get it sorted :D

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Post a picture of the hood cover off and I'll talk you through it.

you'll need to pic up a standard 50w/12v traffo from wholesalers don't go to woodies they're pricey N.E.W on boghall rd, bray will have one.

Disconnect hood plug out or it may be on a switched spur (switch off and pull fuse) Once you get the cover off the traffo will be attached to the side of the motor housing might not be though but it's in there. You should see cables running from lights to traffo.

Basically the traffo will have a primary and a secondary winding primary side 240V (mains supply to fan) and secondary side 12V (this will be the side the lights are connected to) When you buy your traffo disconnect the sec side of old traffo(lights) and connect to sec side of new traffo then disconnect prim side of old traffo and connect to prim side of new traffo doing it this way will save confusion and mixing up cables.

Once you've done all this tidy cables and you may need to cable tie the new traffo inside to make secure (cable tie to a plastic clip or other cable tie already in place nothing that will move)

Before you go down this route I'm assuming you've replaced the lamps with same wattage lamps and in doing so you've not touched the lamps with your fingers as the acid in you skin will transfer to the glass and once you turn them on they'll burn out again.

Let me know how you get on I'll be n charlesland myself on sat so if you're stuck pm me and I'll drop into we'll get it sorted :D

Cheers man.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 johninho

Just looking for a bit of advice. I had a similar issue to the ones in this thread. The lights stopped working in my Powerpoint Cooker Hood (model CXW-198-96).

I reckoned the transformer had gone faulty. The transformer output was AC12V 2x20W.

I have replaced this with a new transformer I have which is:
    ET-PARROT 105/240 I
    11.7V
    Electronic Transformer 35-105W

One of the bulbs needs replacing so for today, I've just wired up one of the lights and it works fine.

My questions are:
    Is what I have done good and safe?
    Can I connect the second light into the same transformer or is it better to wire another transformer in for the second light?

Thanks in advance.
    John

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi John. As you can appreciate it is hard comment on how safe someone's work is without seeing it :D

However the transformer you used seems suitable for this application.
    Start a thread here for further assistance:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1018

Thanks for the reply. I understand your comment, I've replaced a good few transformers for the recessed lights in my house and replaced with LEDs also, so I'm happy that my workmanship is good.

I was just wondering whether the transformer was suitable and whether I could power two lights off one transformer.

I'll post a new thread.

Thanks again,
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thread moved from Greystones/Charlesland to home appliances

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

johninho wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I understand your comment, I've replaced a good few transformers for the recessed lights in my house and replaced with LEDs also, so I'm happy that my workmanship is good.

I was just wondering whether the transformer was suitable and whether I could power two lights off one transformer.

I'll post a new thread.

Thanks again,
    John

Did this sort the problem?

• Advertisement

johninho wrote: »
    Just looking for a bit of advice. I had a similar issue to the ones in this thread. The lights stopped working in my Powerpoint Cooker Hood (model CXW-198-96).

I reckoned the transformer had gone faulty. The transformer output was AC12V 2x20W.

I have replaced this with a new transformer I have which is:
    ET-PARROT 105/240 I
    11.7V
    Electronic Transformer 35-105W

One of the bulbs needs replacing so for today, I've just wired up one of the lights and it works fine.

My questions are:
    Is what I have done good and safe?
    Can I connect the second light into the same transformer or is it better to wire another transformer in for the second light?

Thanks in advance.
    John

Two lights off the one transformer will work fine.

Did this sort the problem?

Yes, all sorted and working fine. For the last three or so days anyhow.

Two lamps off the one transformer worked great.

Left them on for 4 or 5 hours monitoring them and no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 napper

Hey there,
    I've had a problem with the lights on my extractor fan also. The model is a Baumatic BT9.1GL. I tried to remove the bulb holder from the metal bracket and ended up causing the wires to pop out. (See pic) I am looking for any suggestions as to what I may do. I had tried replacing the bulbs but nothing. The fan works perfectly fine at all speeds.
    Also with regards to connecting the wires back into the bulb holder can anyone tell me which wires go in which slot. I am reluctant to try remove the second bulb holder in case the same thing happens again.

Thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

Hi Guys,

I also have a powerpoint cooker hood which the lights no longer work in..
    Its model number ch581. Is there anywhere i can pick up a pcb for one of these ?

Thx
    Jayo

jayo99 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I also have a powerpoint cooker hood which the lights no longer work in..
    Its model number ch581. Is there anywhere i can pick up a pcb for one of these ?

Thx
    Jayo

Mine is still knackered aswell. Would pay someone to fix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

GEO147 - if you find anywhere online selling the pcb for this lemme know.. pita lights not working.. never actually use fans :(

jayo99 wrote: »
    GEO147 - if you find anywhere online selling the pcb for this lemme know.. pita lights not working.. never actually use fans :(

Yeah I know the light were the best thing about the hood. Ill let you know if I come across anything

Might be better just to get a competent person (someone who knows electrics) to rewire the unit so the lights can be switched on.

Advertisement