Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AutoCAD Trial for short period of time

Options
  • 25-04-2021 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

I am looking to explore kitchen extension ideas for our home & in a past life I have used autoCAD. Most likely it will be less than 25m2, less than 4m height & still retaining >25m2 of garden space so no requirement for planning permission.

With the above said I would like to play around with a kitchen layout, dining area etc & new garden layout.

I know you can download a trial version for a month I think. Has anyone any idea what I need to do to obtain AutoCAD for a short period of time. I would also like to open some of my past dwg drawings will a trial version open these too, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

James 007 wrote: »
    I am looking to explore kitchen extension ideas for our home & in a past life I have used autoCAD. Most likely it will be less than 25m2, less than 4m height & still retaining >25m2 of garden space so no requirement for planning permission.

With the above said I would like to play around with a kitchen layout, dining area etc & new garden layout.

I know you can download a trial version for a month I think. Has anyone any idea what I need to do to obtain AutoCAD for a short period of time. I would also like to open some of my past dwg drawings will a trial version open these too, thanks

4m height is irrelevant in the exemptions for domestic extensions.
    That 4m is for sheds, garden rooms etc

Autocad is free to students if you know any?

All new versions will open older versions. I actually think I have my save settings as 2000LT so that if I ever send the drawings to anyone with an older version, they can open them.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

https://www.graebert.com/ have a very good autocad tool with a 1 month free trial.
    The change from AutoDesk to that is pretty much one to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

NanoCAD 5 is free. Few years old now and doesn't have the ribbon interface but completely functional and free. Less bloaty and slow than autocad too.

https://nanocad.com/products/nanoCAD/download/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I use Librecad for a lot of little CAM type drawings. Its similar to AutoCAD circa 2002

Its open source and free

You may need to use convert.io to change the DWG files into DXF to open them but it should work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Lleyn elec

Autocad LT is free for a months trial, no water mark on drawings either. Keep signing up with free email addresses and you can use it for as long as you want. I done my own house plans etc for my planning application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You can probably download a free dwg viewer to open old drawings but not edit them.

I'm using draftsight at the minute and it's basically the same as autocad re commands etc and opens cads files etc. I paid about 130 for 1 year.

Someone working on an extension for yourself, you could go straight to Google SketchUp and draw it in 3d giving the options to fly around etc and walk through.

You don't even need to download SketchUp now as you can use the free online version.

Advertisement