Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options
  • 07-03-2014 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭

The local elections are coming up on May 23rd. So with that in mind, what are the important to you and that you would like to see your local candidates address?
    If someone knocked on your door looking for your vote, what would you ask them? What local issues affect you? Do you think local government is effective? Are you satisfied with your current local government? What can a candidate do to win your support?

Over the course of the campaign Boards is going to try to engage with local election candidates and run Q&A sessions with them, so this is your first chance to tell them what you'll be asking them should they call to your door.

Obviously there's potential for this thread to become contentious, so a couple of ground rules:

NO politician bashing - this isn't about slagging off X candidate or Y party, it's about getting proper discussion going on what issues face the Laois area and what the candidates can expect to be grilled on.

NO politicians - feel free to keep an eye on this thread, but you'll get your chance later. This thread is for your potential future constituents only.

Political affiliations - if you're going to be involved in campaigning for a candidate or in the organisation of any party/group's campaign, you must declare this in your first post in this thread.

We'd like this thread to focus on the issues you feel are important in your area, as such, if you wish to debate an issue raised by another poster, please create a separate thread in the Laois forum.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ill be running them all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

So far, anyone who has called, had managed to do so when I've been away.
    Same as the last elections-I think they're spying on me and deliberately avoiding me.

But if I get a chance, I'll invite them in and see what they have to say.
    No point moaning post election,having said nothing when you've got the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mishkamoon

Does anybody know whos running for Labour in Portarlington?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

If ANY politicians call to my door, my primary issue for them will be re the provision of mental health services.

All around us folks, there are people crumbling, people hiding their darkest thoughts, families disintegrating due to financial pressures (self-destruction and also on the austerity 'rack').

It does not matter whether it is Fine Gael, Labour, Sinn Féin or Fianna Fáil, the major issue for me is mental health http://www.mentalhealthreform.ie/news/hse-mental-health-funding-delays-will-have-human-cost-2/

WITH mental health, you have optimum physical health, financial health, emotional health, family health, community health, workplace health etc etc. Or more precisely, without it we have none of these things to their optimum.

I have had the misfortune of trying to get a relative help in the last few months, and over the long years, and our services are very lacking. Now that the problem is acute, we need to treat that urgently. BUT we must also insist (I believe) on an empowerment agenda in schools / workplaces / Dáil eireann, public service etc etc. People must BE accountable, must be HELD accountable, must be rewarded and must be SANCTIONED. We live in a fundamentally mentally unhealthy society. Where RIGHTS get rewarded (NAMA protects who? Paying off Anglo debts and recapitalising ALL of the failed banks protects who?) and responsibilities get sidelined. Where children are being taught to see everything from the point of view of being a potential victim (abuse, bullying) but not being taught AT ALL that lack of respect for teachers and adults out in the real world verges on outright bullying in many cases.

A party that advocates, demands and implements ADULT behaviour, ideology, consequences for adult voters, representatives and appointed executives (regulators, gatekeepers) wil get my vote; whether at local, national or pan-European political experiment level.

Who am I kidding? Anyone, except the rare do-gooder, who approaches a door prosletysing for whatever Dáil Eireann religion they're signed up to is just a jumped-up fascist whore who believes that they know more than me and want to either shove it down my throat or persuade me that they know best. What good is proportional representation when you have councillors and TDs voting with THEIR conscience? Since when was one's personal beliefs relevant when REPRESENTING others? There are rare true REPUBLICans, like Garret Fitzgerald, who wrote Catholic theological papers but championed the secularisation of Ireland; but intellects like that are rare. What you get at your door, and 99% of Dáil Eireann, are wannabe fascists. They would have you in chains. Chained to their worldview.

Buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Had an FG lad call to me and he said he wanted more money for schools and roads in the area. Fair enough says I but where do ya think that would come from. And he said he'd have to get elected to see the books and then he'd decide! He also said he was running cos some other fella isn't and he basically wanted his seat and it was his turn now. Idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I'd like to know why within a 100m section on Bracklone St in Portarlington there are almost 30 election posters. The town is a disgrace, i'm scared to stand still in case theres an election poster pinned to me.

One candidate actually has a poster on a poll which is inside the grounds of the actual polling station on Bracklone St.

I'd like the issue to be discussed at council level and guidelines agreed on these posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Mishkamoon wrote: »
    Does anybody know whos running for Labour in Portarlington?
    Grainne Corcoran. I think she's from the town of Portarlington.

Advertisement