Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep handling yard

Options
  • 03-06-2019 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

How many ewes and lambs would a 30ft X 20 ft yard hold?
    Would it be best to buy a race and sorting gate or build your own using blocks?
    Building your own would be permanent where as the other could be moved

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

you would fit 160 ewes in that space but that would be "packed in a trailer" fit!

to run ewes and lambs into that area i would hazard a guess that you would manage to get 100 ewes and their lambs to fit!

My best guess....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm looking for guidelines on pen and yard sizes but it's escaping me atm. However, I found this Indo article that might be of use to you

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/installing-appropriate-sheep-handling-facilities-saves-huge-amounts-of-time-30204593.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

long, long ago, probably before you were born, a crowd called ACOT produced handy little reference books on sheep housing and lambing, etc.

PFRAyFt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    long, long ago, probably before you were born, a crowd called ACOT produced handy little reference books on sheep housing and lambing, etc.

PFRAyFt.jpg

There's a great one from An Foras Talumtais(?) about sheep production but my nephew has it to study sheep production.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭148multi

DJ98 wrote: »

I wouldn't put any more than 100 ewes and their lambs in that size if even, a race with non return gates for sorting, the wider block race is great for dosing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Came across a Richie catalogue from last summer. That looks the bees knees. Might be overkill but you wouldn’t mind tackling into a flock of sheep using that set up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Have a big pen to run all the sheep into, a shoot and a dividing gate, can separate the lambs and ewes then if your dosing one group, maybe a big batch footbath, if your able blocks might be as handy, can leave stuff on top of the wall etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Came across a Richie catalogue from last summer. That looks the bees knees. Might be overkill but you wouldn’t mind tackling into a flock of sheep using that set up

Really like the ritchie handling equipment. Anything I've off them is very cleanly and precisely made.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sandman30

https://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2020/a-guide-to-designing-a-sheep-handling-unit.php

Teagasc has a new guide to sheep handling facilities, may be useful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Has anyone pictures of a simple yard. Only have store lambs so nothing fancy. I’ve a corner 35 * 20 that would be ideal. Thanks

• Advertisement

I have a cattle yard and crush on an out farm that I want to make suitable for sheep.....the yard and crush is 5 foot high but only 4 bars so teh sheep walk out through it, I want to sheet it to keep sheep in,whats the best/cheapest option to this.

I want to avoid timber/ply as its outdoor and that will be a short term job, i tried sheep wire cut couldnt get it to work correctly, stock board would work but very expensive....any ideas

roosky wrote: »
    I have a cattle yard and crush on an out farm that I want to make suitable for sheep.....the yard and crush is 5 foot high but only 4 bars so teh sheep walk out through it, I want to sheet it to keep sheep in,whats the best/cheapest option to this.

I want to avoid timber/ply as its outdoor and that will be a short term job, i tried sheep wire cut couldnt get it to work correctly, stock board would work but very expensive....any ideas

I changed a cattle crush to sheep use, there were 4 rails, and I moved the two top ones down into the spaces between the bottom two.
    You can now throw your leg over the top rail and step in and out when needs be.
    Ran a strand of high tensile wire at about 7 foor off the ground, to hang a dosing gun from, and made a new end gate with a spring loaded catch.
    Will stick up a photo later, if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭DJ98

Check this out on Agriland - Infrastructure Focus: A brand new handling unit for a 750-ewe flock in Co. Kerry https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/infrastructure-focus-a-brand-new-handling-unit-for-a-750-ewe-flock-in-co-kerry/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I used flat galvanise, bought 8 by 4 sheets and got them cut 8 by 2 and screwed them to the bars with tec screws. It must be twenty years done now

Youd want to take all the sharp edges of whatever sheeting youd use. Very easy to slice open your arm/ hand on anything slightly exposed.i know a lad that has lost some of movement in his hand from cutting through tendons off sheeting. If you ever decide to go down the premade route ritchie panels are all safe edges. Can remember looking at a race from another manufacturer before and the edge of the sheeting was left razor sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Youd want to take all the sharp edges of whatever sheeting youd use. Very easy to slice open your arm/ hand on anything slightly exposed.i know a lad that has lost some of movement in his hand from cutting through tendons off sheeting. If you ever decide to go down the premade route ritchie panels are all safe edges. Can remember looking at a race from another manufacturer before and the edge of the sheeting was left razor sharp.

Mine was cut wiith a guillotine, it didn't leave it sharp, don't cut it with a angle grinder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

8 x 4 sheets of 2 inch mesh cost €24 plus vat. I cut them in half with fencing pliers and cable tied them to gates.

Thanks for ideas .....it’s a rented out farm also so as ye will know I want minimal investment for maximum usefulness, maybe too much to ask for with sheep !

The mesh would be lovely to work with and easy to do, would cost €150

How much would the galv sheeting cost per 8x4 sheet I would need 6 sheets

I had thought about using second hand corrugated iron sheets off an old shed ......is that a runner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

3mm stockboard won't be that expensive if you split in 2. One sheet will do 16ft in length that way. I think around €25 a sheet.
    You shouldn't need any thicker as the bars of the crush will support it.

nWa3oKQ.jpg

vPC3EGm.jpg

IQvZ2xy.jpg

As it's a rented yard, you mightn't want to go to the bother of making a gate/latch etc.
    Sheep wire sides hard on tags/ears in my opinion.
    Second hand plywood, a battery drill and heavy cable ties would have a crush sheeted in less than an hour.
    On this crush I moved the top bar down and put a lighter lenght of pipe in the other gap.
    The end gate came out of an old Tandem milking parlour.
    The spring on the catch came out of an old sofa ( along with two dozen others) before I put a match to the whole lot

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I have old ply here but worried about it not lasting pissing time

Have stanley engineering got a shop or yard you can visit to view there products or is it just online and over the phone?

Have stanley engineering got a shop or yard you can visit to view there products or is it just online and over the phone?

They've a yard. Pre lockdown, lads used to often pop up and visit them, As long as you rang in advance. Dont know the arrangements now.

How do people find Stanley products compared to others such as cormac and iae in terms of price and quality? Fixed race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mrfitz

I'm in the same boat as yourself - have a cattle crush to convert for sheep. Am looking through posts and it seems a good idea to remove the top two bars and put them down lower. That'' what I''m gonna do and if they are still getting out I'll stick a bit of 1" box iron along the length of it too.

However, I can't make adjustments to the crush until next year as another guy still using it for cattle. In the meantime I'm going to get some sheep hurdles and place them inside the crush, along the side. It's a temporary fix for anytime I'll be using the crush, plus I can remove them easily if the other guy needs to use it.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement