Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Marking

Options
  • 18-05-2019 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Looking for ideas for marking sheep and lamb when they're put from the shed to the field. Havent found the markers or sprays I have been using so far any use as they fade quickly, and then the struggle begins trying to match up the lamb with the sheep.

Any ideas for good markings that will last ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Same happened here this year. Meant to tag the lambs as they left the shed with the ewes but time went against me and I ended up spraying them, which then faded outside.

I’ll definitely be tagging when they’re leaving the shed next year

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Same happened here this year. Meant to tag the lambs as they left the shed with the ewes but time went against me and I ended up spraying them, which then faded outside.

I’ll definitely be tagging when they’re leaving the shed next year
    Would you think it’s ok to put a permanent eid tag set on a couple day old lamb?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

I wouldn't tag them. They are too expensive to be falling out, or lambs dying, and I'd prefer to focus on problem lambs at that busy time. Anyhow you can't match them up easily in field - i find the spray is fine for first month and thats when you really only need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

When we had lambs, we used to tag them with tags you could write the ewes number on...
    Didn’t use the small tags, as found they got lost too easy...

Something like these, they were a bit big on small lambs but they did the job...
    https://www.caisley-tags.co.uk/pig-ear-tags/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Plenty lads do put the two tags in but my plan is to put in the standard tag at birth, and then the EID one whenever required a few months later.

We record all ewe details anyway so should be easy enough to track who belongs to who.

As ever, this is the plan now. But it may be adjusted when the time comes

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

We put in a temporary tag when 2 days old. We then switch when leaving.

On the subject of tags, bought some hoggets off a neighbour 2 years ago and they have those slimline tags. The print has nearly worn off now and they are nearly impossible to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gaz123

Im not a fan of the tagging of lambs. I prefer the sprays. Think they work best if you could just the right spray that doesn't spray off after a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

DURAMARK works for 6-8 weeks usually out of harm then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

gaz123 wrote: »
    Im not a fan of the tagging of lambs. I prefer the sprays. Think they work best if you could just the right spray that doesn't spray off after a few weeks

It's not really that the spray wears off, it's just the lamb has grown and has new wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Wouldn't be for tagging young lambs here either.. I use Marksman spray does the job for me. I'd use a different colour on the ewes and single lambs blue this year and ewes and doubles got red I think it makes life easier when looking thru them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement