Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EID tags

Options
  • 05-03-2019 11:42am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not a rant against EID here (though it might be well justified) but something more constructive - who are lads buying their EID tags from?

There's a few suppliers, various options, and several different prices.

Are there any particular recommendations for who to approach and who to avoid?

Thanks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Not a rant against EID here (though it might be well justified) but something more constructive - who are lads buying their EID tags from?

Thanks.

Mullinahone...

Think they were 1.46 each for the ones I got... To be honest, I didn't shop around cos as always I needed em ASAP...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Mullinahone...

Think they were 1.46 each for the ones I got... To be honest, I didn't shop around cos as always I needed em ASAP...

Thanks. We need a mixture of full two-tag sets for breeding ewes and the minimum for lambs going direct to factory, plus whatever a few stores will need if we sell them at the mart.

Tis confusing trying to figure out which is the best way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

I will have lambs for sale shortly (43/44 kgs) which I normally sell through the Mart and they would be bought in the Mart to go direct for slaughter.

Do these lambs when going to the Mart require one or 2 tags?

Tomjim wrote: »
    I will have lambs for sale shortly (43/44 kgs) which I normally sell through the Mart and they would be bought in the Mart to go direct for slaughter.

Do these lambs when going to the Mart require one or 2 tags?

You’ll need the two tags, unfortunately

oh I didn't know that. Easier to go to Factory direct so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Think you will be ok with 1... The end tags isn't compulsory till after some date in june as far as I can remember.

Yeah, straight to factory means only one EID tag needed. This is what the marts are giving out about in the Journal this week.

Hard to feel sympathy for them thou when most are not setting up a tag reading facility to allow lambs tags get read automatically

Lambman wrote: »
    Think you will be ok with 1... The end tags isn't compulsory till after some date in june as far as I can remember.

Sorry - should have said the two-tags-at-the-mart is from 1-June on. One standard tag at the mart is OK until then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Thanks.

Using Shearwell after trying a few others. Very pleased with them. Allow a few more days for delivery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

U need 1 eid for the factory i think. Last yrs factory tags are no use. I think.

• Advertisement

I have to bring cast ewes to the factory.

From reading the rules am I correct in saying that I have 2 choices

1. Get the tag number that is currently in the ewe and order a new EID tag with this number on it

2. Take out the current tage that the ewe has and insert one new EID tag into the ewe from the new lamb tags I got recently and note the sheep register book accordingly

1. Get the tag number that is currently in the ewe and order a new EID tag with this number on it

2. Take out the current tage that the ewe has and insert one new EID tag into the ewe from the new lamb tags I got recently and note the sheep register book accordingly

That’s my understanding too but the whole lot seems a bit muddy at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Most ewes would have EID tags since 2010, are you sure your ewes haven't got EID tags already

how would I know that is's an EID tag that's on the ewe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

how would I know that is's an EID tag that's on the ewe

If the ewe has the same number tag in each ear it's very likely that the tag in the right ear is an EID tag. it has been illegal since 2010 to sell sheep over a year old without EID,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

Sorry to reopen this thread again but I have a question:

Do you need to fill up the sheep tag numbers on the dispatch docket now given that EID Readers are in all Marts?

I bought lambs the back end and I noticed the dispatch docket was not filled in by the farmer selling them but the mart had a print out.

I hope to sell a few through the mart in the next couple weeks and hoping to cut down on the work load.

kk.man wrote: »
    Sorry to reopen this thread again but I have a question:

Do you need to fill up the sheep tag numbers on the dispatch docket now given that EID Readers are in all Marts?

I bought lambs the back end and I noticed the dispatch docket was not filled in by the farmer selling them but the mart had a print out.

I hope to sell a few through the mart in the next couple weeks and hoping to cut down on the work load.

If it’s the same mart, I’d be guessing they’ll do the same for you as they did for the man selling them last time and scan the tags when they’re in the pen at the mart.

Ring the mart and ask them thou to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭DJ98

When selling sheep or lambs in the mart now you don't need to have the numbers of each tag recorded, just the number of sheep in each lot in the box on the top right. The mart will then give you a print out of your tags for each lot and this will correspond to your dispatch docket number. Some farmers still like to record the tags in the dispatch book as it helps them keep there records up to date and they can easily identify by looking at the numbers they have wrote in if its a pen of lambs they sold or a pen of cast ewes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

there a God send for store lambs , trying to read 30-40 tags in semi darkness was some nightmare years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Tileman

Dickie10 wrote: »
    there a God send for store lambs , trying to read 30-40 tags in semi darkness was some nightmare years ago

Did u buy your own eid reader Dickie. Trying to decide on what one I’m going one .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

no just write amount of lambs you have on docket and away, 14, 34 , 12 whatever it is.

Advertisement