Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfollowed ex by accident

Options
  • 14-06-2019 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭

I ACCIDENTALLY pressed unfollow on my ex's Instagram.... He's a recent enough ex and I'm still not fully over him.

What's bothering me is that I feel like I'm after making myself look like a "sad ex" In that I "had" To unfollow him to get over him.

Should I request a follow again? Not gonna lie I'd only love to Get back with him, but that's probably not gonna happen.

I'm way over thinking this I know, I just feel so stupid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If he’s your ex then why do you even care what he thinks.
    He’s your ex for a reason. Following/stalking an ex on social media is unhealthy and creepy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Don't even think about it. This is just a modern twist on "accidentally" calling or texting someone. Something I'm not the only person guilty of doing and regretted later. If you think unfollowing his Instagram is the sign of a sad ex, how do you think a request to follow him again is going to look? It's the online version of going "Ahem, ahem. I'm over here. Look at meeeee!" Maybe continuing to follow his Instagram is closer to the sad ex thing? It shows you're still stalking/following him and that's not good for either of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Don’t feel stupid OP, break ups are tough. Especially if one person didn’t want it. Our rational brains turn to mush when it comes to love, unfortunately.

If you really want to, you could send him another follow request but there’s no guarantee he’ll accept, and how will that make you feel? Will you feel worse having that rejection than you do right now not being able to see his posts?

A lot of people unfollow exes on social media as it makes it easier to move on. It doesn’t make you a ‘sad ex’ at all. I did it just over a month after the breakup and after we met up for a chat. I did it because it hurt to see him living his life without me in it, even though I really wanted to still be friends. I did well until a couple of months later when I sent him a follow request while I was drunk and in a bad place. Regretted it big time the next day. Then I got blocked, which really, really hurt.

Think about what could happen if you send him a request and he accepts. You said it’s a recent break up but how will you feel if he starts posting about someone else? Would you rather see that or have the ignorance of not knowing what he’s doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I made this post in a state of panic.

Deep down I know it's better for me that this has happened, cause of couldn't stop checking his account. And I don't want to be like that.

I want to make clear also, I wouldn't think anyone was being sad by unfollowing an ex, I actually don't see a reason why they still would, unless they were still friends. My immature silly voice got the better of my mature and calm voice, u get what I mean!

This thread can be closed. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It would be pretty normal for people to do this intentionally anyway, after a relationship ended, so I don't think he will be analysing it like you will, and he won't know it was an accident.

Accident or not, you're better off in the long run. Seeing his posts pop up in your feed wouldn't have helped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

In time you'll be glad you unfollowed him. No good can come of following an ex you still have feelings for. It stops you from moving on (as you've already admitted) and it's readying you for the gut punch of seeing him with someone else. If he has lots of followers, he might not even notice you've unfollowed him. And maybe is glad you pulled the plug before he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Clean break. It’s the only way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Mod note:

Locking thread as per OPs request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement