Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Section on a ewe..

Options
  • 12-05-2019 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

lads.. just wondering if a ewe had s section this year.. will she be ok for next year.. it's a PB suffolk... the vet sayes she should be fine but I'm not sure... I know cows can be ok again but not convinced about a ewe...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Country lad

iron man wrote: »
    lads.. just wondering if a ewe had s section this year.. will she be ok for next year.. it's a PB suffolk... the vet sayes she should be fine but I'm not sure... I know cows can be ok again but not convinced about a ewe...

If it was me would.not chance it as a couple of years ago had a section on ewe the following.year had same problem again with her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Given that she’s a purebred then I’d chance her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭iron man

Willfarman wrote:
    Given that she’s a purebred then I’d chance her again.

yup... she has bred 2 exceptional ram lambs...that's why I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

yup... she has bred 2 exceptional ram lambs...that's why I'm not sure

What was the section for?

If it was for something that might not happen next year, like a big lamb, then I'd chance her.
    If it was something else, I'd cull her.

The other side of it is - I wouldn't like to be paying big money for a Suffolk ram, out of a ewe that wasn't able to lamb herself, due to some issue that the ram might pass on...

So, the big question is why the section? (If it was something that could be inherited, would that affect the future of the 2 ram lambs she now has?)

the section was from her not opening fully... Lambs were a good size but her passage way still had a few rings not open... lambs are weaned and thriving well. . very good size... not her fault....just wondering if anybody has experience of ewes holding to ram again and going full term... as well as attempting to lamb them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

the section was from her not opening fully... Lambs were a good size but her passage way still had a few rings not open... lambs are weaned and thriving well. . very good size... not her fault....just wondering if anybody has experience of ewes holding to ram again and going full term... as well as attempting to lamb them...

In this case - cull...

Had a section on a ewe like this before, kept her, she went in young, couldn't lamb again, wished I hadnt given her another chance...

I also wouldn't keep ewe lambs from such a ewe, and if given a choice, wouldn't buy a ram from such a ewe...

EDIT : Not having a go at you personally Iron Man, just saying what I would do myself...

yup.. point taken...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

yup.. point taken...

Was it her first lambing
    I'd try her again too, they always go on alright here.
    Even if you have to operate again, it's a fairly successfull op,
    You can cull then if she does it again

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I had a Texel ewe (non PB) that had a section a number of years ago.
    Like you, I asked the Vet if the ewe would be OK for breeding again and he said yes. I took his advice and she lambed for the next three or four years without assistance. (I sold her because of her age).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I had a Texel ewe (non PB) that had a section a number of years ago.
    Like you, I asked the Vet if the ewe would be OK for breeding again and he said yes. I took his advice and she lambed for the next three or four years without assistance. (I sold her because of her age).

Haven’t had a section in the last 5 year and always had one a year due to ring womb, reckon the change is due to changing up to 20% ration. Any way rule of thumb used was if the section was quick, clean and ewe recovery was quick and stick mark healed well. Breed the ewe again and had very good success rate and ewes not having the problem again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Haven’t had a section in the last 5 year and always had one a year due to ring womb, reckon the change is due to changing up to 20% ration. Any way rule of thumb used was if the section was quick, clean and ewe recovery was quick and stick mark healed well. Breed the ewe again and had very good success rate and ewes not having the problem again.

Good point here. If all went routine and no infection should be minimal scar tissue. Different story if dead stink lambs and ewe took a month to get over the section etc. Either way for OP's sake I would agree with the comment further up that wouldn't keep a ewe after a ring womb and wouldn't recommend to keep her daughters either. Best to avoid breeding from these ones for the small percentage heritability of these traits.

Advertisement