Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flystrike

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

anybody know where you can get the 800ml of clik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭kk.man

I think I have a dry hogget with maggots...I'll bring her in tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Surfn wrote: »
    anybody know where you can get the 800ml of clik

That size would be perfect. Did u get any anywhere

Is it my sheep or what? but this is the worst fly strike I had in years. I recon I have 12 dry hoggets with maggots. I spent most of the day daggin and my shearer is not coming till next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

kk.man wrote: »
    Is it my sheep or what? but this is the worst fly strike I had in years. I recon I have 12 dry hoggets with maggots. I spent most of the day daggin and my shearer is not coming till next week.

I’ve never seen it so early. Over the tail area is what I’m seeing here.

• Advertisement

I’ve never seen it so early. Over the tail area is what I’m seeing here.

Same here😠

Same here😠

Just dragged another 3 here today that were struck. the wool is just stuck to them and no way ready to shear. Might click them and leave till end of summer to shear. Anyone else making a plan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Is wool stuck on dry hoggets or sheep with lambs

razor8 wrote: »
    Is wool stuck on dry hoggets or sheep with lambs

Ewes with lambs re getting struck here. The grass has been good here, so some are abit dirty, so thinking that wouldn’t help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Just dragged another 3 here today that were struck. the wool is just stuck to them and no way ready to shear. Might click them and leave till end of summer to shear. Anyone else making a plan ?

Would click work until August if put on sheep with big fleeces now, some would be 2 yr olds never sheared?

• Advertisement

Would click work until August if put on sheep with big fleeces now, some would be 2 yr olds never sheared?

I think clikzin does 8 weeks and Clik does up to 16. Only thing with clik is your not meant to handle ewes for 3 few months afterwards, so not ideal if you want to get their sheared.

I prefer to shear them. They trive better after shorn. I click them in about 3 weeks. They be safer and a piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Hoping to shear here next week...

I would have thought with the good weather that sheep would be coming ready now?

Are your ewes low in cobalt or something maybe green, if they are still very tight in the wool?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

I think clikzin does 8 weeks and Clik does up to 16. Only thing with clik is your not meant to handle ewes for 3 few months afterwards, so not ideal if you want to get their sheared.

3 monthsi thought click covered, I sheared this time last year and clicked soon after and had no maggots at all, all lambs got clikzin at the same time. I’m trying to shear in August from now on, so just wondering if I can get away without shearing twice in one year?

Hoping to shear here next week...

I would have thought with the good weather that sheep would be coming ready now?

Are your ewes low in cobalt or something maybe green, if they are still very tight in the wool?

A week of sun might see them right. On the ones that were struck, I sheared / clipped them completely with my jakoti. The wool was coming easily on some parts of their body, but was completely stuck to them on others. Each ewe had a different story. So judging by that, as a group they weren’t ready to be sheared.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Had two lambs with maggots tonight out of 38, they were dipped 10 weeks ago, I think I saw eggs on another would I get away with clik or dip required ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

sonnybill wrote: »
    Had two lambs with maggots tonight out of 38, they were dipped 10 weeks ago, I think I saw eggs on another would I get away with clik or dip required ?

Clik doesn't claim to treat maggots only prevents them, maggots are more vicious this time of the year and will do as much harm in 24 hours now as a week in may, so keep a close eye on them if they're not treated with something.
    Be careful of withdrawals if the lambs are close to market weight

wrangler wrote: »
    Clik doesn't claim to treat maggots only prevents them, maggots are more vicious this time of the year and will do as much harm in 24 hours now as a week in may, so keep a close eye on them if they're not treated with something.

I know it would kill the maggots but still wondering would it kill the unhatched eggs laid

wrangler wrote: »

I know it would kill the maggots but still wondering would it kill the unhatched eggs laid
    You be better off dipping the affected ones in a half barrel with some real dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You be better off dipping the affected ones in a half barrel with some real dip.

The rest of them are vulnerable too now,
    I think the withdrawal on dip now is 35 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eire23

Since cypergaurd went off the market 35 days is the withdrawal. Its meant to be be coming back next year hopefully

I had to spot treat struck lambs recently. Clipped around effected area and applied some iodine. After that reapplied clikzin to every lamb. Only 7 day withdrawal. Expensive, but it’s put an end to it as the flys are everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I used to used Young's Vector instead of dip. Very effective.
    It kept sheep from maggoting.
    If a sheep was already maggoted it would kill the maggots.

If you have lambs that are nearly ready for slaughter and they have maggots then used plenty of salt and water rubbed well in.
    That will also kill maggots.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Country lad

Power washed the ewes yesterday very handy jdone it in July last also and had no maggots only used click on lambs .a litre of dip makes 4 barrels of dip as done it two times last year and two this year so very cheap also found ewes were rubbing off of ditches very little last winter after doing them as I will be injecting them also with 2c of noromectin in a few weeks time .so just said I share that bit of information as worked really well for me last winter

I clipped the ****ty rear ends, sprayed them but still lost a fine 40kg ram lamb, separated the ewe lambs and dipped and watching the rams and will see what happens with factory this week

I clipped the ****ty rear ends, sprayed them but still lost a fine 40kg ram lamb, separated the ewe lambs and dipped and watching the rams and will see what happens with factory this week

The changing weather might slow down the flys abit

Advertisement