Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge investment in Coillte trails.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭covey123

Good to see.Anyone hear how things are coming along in Coolaney?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

covey123 wrote: »
    Good to see.Anyone hear how things are coming along in Coolaney?

Climbing trail complete and almost one full loop complete. However, they've just started logging in the area of one trail heading back to the trailhead. That's ongoing for a number of weeks so basically off limits at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭prunudo

Couldn't hang around yesterday given the day that was in it, anyone hear what was said and what might be planned.

https://www.facebook.com/139066222779824/posts/2450914054928351/

From the coillte site...

More information on this will follow over coming months.

In the meantime, we welcome any comments or queries at recreation@coillte.ie

Send in any ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hopefully the new trails at Coolaney won't just turn out to be like Derroura...

• Advertisement

Just to get a discussion going and ideas on what suggestions to make to that coillte email,what do people think is needed for trails here?
    Never ride DH myself but definitely think the country needs a proper high level DH track.
    Would love to see more uplift and bike park stuff available

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭prunudo

Personally, and I'll stick to Ballinastoe as its local to me, I'd like to see more varying trails, steeper stuff, but not necessarily full on dh spec stuff, reds and blacks would be nice, not just the mellow blues that are there at present. More jumps and drops would be nice, with chicken lines for people who are still building up the skill level.
    More secure parking for off peak riding would be nice too. Always weary of parking in the evening or quiet periods of the day.
    Toilet and changing facilities would be nice too and possible cafe.
    Bike only signs to warn walkers they are on bike trails would be handy too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Just to get a discussion going and ideas on what suggestions to make to that coillte email,what do people think is needed for trails here?
    Never ride DH myself but definitely think the country needs a proper high level DH track.
    Would love to see more uplift and bike park stuff available

To chime in on top of what jvan has said (since I started writing this), if they [Coilte] want to compete with the likes of the 7staines in Scotland (which they mentioned) then they need to get it into their heads that it's not enough to deliver a dollar short whilst saying say "oh well, Scotland has snow in winter so the trails are closed" because that's only true for _some_ of the trails.

To keep with Scotland as it shows up a wider point, the country has two things going for it that Ireland simply does not have full stop, namely a right-of-access that most folk the world over (including the rest of the UK) can only dream of and more succinctly 'gradient'. Bearing the above in mind, if you want to go toe to toe with the likes of the Tweed Valley (so, that'll be Innerleithen & Glentress which are the two staines centres among several others in the tweed valley), Dumfries & Galloway (Dalbeattie , Kirroughtree, and Mabie) with the Forest of Ae and Newcastleton wedged in between the two, or Fort William, or Keider (or I could keep going with this ... ) whilst lacking gradient & legal roaming rights then the trails on offer would want to offer something fairly special beyond cookie-cooker green or blue trails. There's some absolutely cracking riding to be found in the Wicklow mountains for example; but Coilte have rarely ever been bothered listening to the local community.

Coilte need to step away from throwing a wedge of cash at the matter with a stated desire of mtb tourism without ever asking themselves the pertinent and reflective question of why should tourists come to use trails that even the locals can't get worked up about. To do that they first need to engage with the local community.

Which Coillte email? Are you personally sending them a mail about ideas on how to spend a large government grant for bicycle trails?

Or do you work for Coillte or represent a business or cycling club conducting some market research?

Lemming wrote: »
    Coillte need to step away from throwing a wedge of cash at the matter with a stated desire of mtb tourism without ever asking themselves the pertinent and reflective question of why should tourists come to use trails that even the locals can't get worked up about. To do that they first need to engage with the local community.

I think a more accurate thing to say would be "Coillte need to step away from mtb tourism."

They're a commercial forestry and wood panel manufacturing company.

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I think a more accurate thing to say would be "Coillte need to step away from mtb tourism."

They're a commercial forestry and wood panel manufacturing company.

True, but unfortunately they're also the landowner and access authority all rolled in to one with backing from the government and public purse so we are where we are and they need to start asking questions rather than employing a cynical attitude of "we spent money; be grateful".

True, but unfortunately they're also the landowner and access authority all rolled in to one with backing from the government and public purse so we are where we are and they need to start asking questions rather than employing a cynical attitude of "we spent money; be grateful".

All I can say is thank the Gods for private enterprise, look at the amazing things the owners of "The Gap" and Bike park Ireland are doing...

All I can say is thank the Gods for private enterprise, look at the amazing things the owners of "The Gap" and Bike park Ireland are doing...

Again, very true. I suspect that Bord Failte would get more mileage - or certainly more immediate mileage - out of engaging with the likes of the GAP or BPI to see what they can do to facilitate increased footfall. Not to mention, local government (and possibly insurance companies regards coverage?) in facilitating expansion or building of new trails or facilities.

From the coillte site...

More information on this will follow over coming months.

In the meantime, we welcome any comments or queries at recreation@coillte.ie

Send in any ideas!

This email address from their website

This email address from their website

Well, best of luck sending them an email, no harm in mailing the suggestion box...

Which Coillte email? Are you personally sending them a mail about ideas on how to spend a large government grant for bicycle trails?

Or do you work for Coillte or represent a business or cycling club conducting some market research?

Nope, just regular joe soap who loves biking but my attitude is,yeah anything I (or anyone else) suggests my well and truly fall on deaf ears or go directly into trash folder,but hey what is there to lose by taking a couple of minutes to make suggestions

Nope, just regular joe soap who loves biking but my attitude is,yeah anything I (or anyone else) suggests my well and truly fall on deaf ears or go directly into trash folder,but hey what is there to lose by taking a couple of minutes to make suggestions

Nothing ventured nothing gained....

Exactly ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Basically they need to stop making dumbed down trails. Build loops with options so for example when you come to a descent, have a red/black option and a green/blue option that meet at the bottom. I think/hope with the outcry over the Coolaney trails that if they spend x amount of money on something that resembles more of a greenway than an mtb trail which nobody wants to ride then politicians need to start asking them some seriously hard f*cking questions about what they were doing.

Any more updates on Coolaney?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Basically they need to stop making dumbed down trails. Build loops with options so for example when you come to a descent, have a red/black option and a green/blue option that meet at the bottom. I think/hope with the outcry over the Coolaney trails that if they spend x amount of money on something that resembles more of a greenway than an mtb trail which nobody wants to ride then politicians need to start asking them some seriously hard f*cking questions about what they were doing.

ID agree with everything you pointed out here. It just takes the addition of a few more options to raise the difficulty and have riders progress. Area's for practicing jumps, drop offs etc (Progressing from small to larger stuff where rolling over it isnt an option), leave trails more natural. I know a hard wearing surface is needed but there comes a point where it just numbs everything.

As a point of reference I'm only mountain biking regularly for about 6 months. Ballyhoura is 30 min from me "The largest trail network in Ireland" and I'm growing bored of it. A great place to get out and spin the legs but that's about it. I know there are some good trails up there I've yet to try but they're not official trails. If someone like me is getting tired of there already then it doesn't say much really. A friend of mine works in the adventure tourism industry and he'd describe their setup as "Soft adventure" aka, an introduction to the sport set up for maximum foot fall. Unfortunately that's the mentality I see behind Coillte trails

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Peter T wrote: »
    ID agree with everything you pointed out here. It just takes the addition of a few more options to raise the difficulty and have riders progress. Area's for practicing jumps, drop offs etc (Progressing from small to larger stuff where rolling over it isnt an option), leave trails more natural. I know a hard wearing surface is needed but there comes a point where it just numbs everything.

As a point of reference I'm only mountain biking regularly for about 6 months. Ballyhoura is 30 min from me "The largest trail network in Ireland" and I'm growing bored of it. A great place to get out and spin the legs but that's about it. I know there are some good trails up there I've yet to try but they're not official trails. If someone like me is getting tired of there already then it doesn't say much really. A friend of mine works in the adventure tourism industry and he'd describe their setup as "Soft adventure" aka, an introduction to the sport set up for maximum foot fall. Unfortunately that's the mentality I see behind Coillte trails

I have heard that the new loop they're building in ballyhoura will be more technical, it will be interesting to see. They're also building a pumptrack and a new 2 story building at the trailhead with a Cafe which is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I'm hopeful for that alright. They re gritted the technical trails lately and its taken the fun out of them, very easy to wash out on them now. Not everything needs gravel

Peter T wrote: »
    Not everything needs gravel

Gravel bikers? ;)

Ah sure a few shovels of gravel fixes anything in this country...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Again, very true. I suspect that Bord Failte would get more mileage - or certainly more immediate mileage - out of engaging with the likes of the GAP or BPI to see what they can do to facilitate increased footfall. Not to mention, local government (and possibly insurance companies regards coverage?) in facilitating expansion or building of new trails or facilities.

Have a read of this:
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=144968&B=&PS=1&PP=

Coillte are up doing some maintenance on the Ticknock trails over the coming weeks...

Probably cutting back any bushes and grass beside the trails...

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

If you would like to get involved in Irish Trails Advocacy and providing more formalised feedback to Coillte join up here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/331148950892890/

booooonzo wrote: »
    If you would like to get involved in Irish Trails Advocacy and providing more formalised feedback to Coillte join up here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/331148950892890/

People Power!! :cool:

Advertisement