Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's OK to light a candle from MY candle at a shrine in church

Options
  • 11-06-2019 3:34pm

So, I was in a Catholic church today. There was already a single candle burning.
    I proceed to light my own candle from it.

Next thing - a lady calls out, the lighter over here is the only one that works, as if I was tainting the candle I was lighting from.

The point I'm trying to make: You're more than welcome to light your own candle from mine. I'd be delighted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think this is how people have always done it, so I'd say busybody alert. Clearly some fancy technology in that church!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yeah, for preference you always light candles from the candles that are already lit. That's kind of the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

In my family, we always use candles from home on Holy Saturday night at the Easter Vigil

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

xieann wrote: »
    So, I was in a Catholic church today. There was already a single candle burning.
    I proceed to light my own candle from it.

Next thing - a lady calls out, the lighter over here is the only one that works, as if I was tainting the candle I was lighting from.

The point I'm trying to make: You're more than welcome to light your own candle from mine. I'd be delighted.

I think she was trying to be helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think this is how people have always done it, so I'd say busybody alert. Clearly some fancy technology in that church!

?? There are usually lighters r matches and i carry a couple also. Often there is no lit candle . Why make a fuss and react so negatively to the lady?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

A lot of churches these days have small signs up saying for fire safety / health and safety you are supposed to use the lighters provided, rather than trying to light off existing candles. This helps prevent wax burns / sleeves / garments catching fire etc. The woman was trying to help you out, not hamper you.

As usual some people seem to run around inventing notions to be offended about.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

In the circumstances nobody can know what that lady has going on at the moment. Perhaps cut her some slack and dont judge so harshly.
    Personally after a bereavement that has broken my heart for the first year I felt incredibly possessive for want of a better word of even my memories of them. I didn't and still don't really want to share a single thing I have left of them even a simple candle lit in memory could annoy me if someone else was "tampering" with it.
    Im aware it makes no sense its just a reaction, my point is cut the lady some slack she could be dealing with any level of crap life has thrown at her.

Advertisement