Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you go to ploughing 2019?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

hopeso wrote: »
    There will be traffic plans in place for miles before you get to the site. There's no point planning your route on a map. You'll just have to go the way you're sent, which may not be the direct route. There is a map and a guide to the traffic plans on the NPA website.

Yea the Waterford and south Kilkenny crowd are being directed through Gowran, Goresbridge, Borris, and onto Fenagh and ploughing site.

You can still use Google maps to work out the length and time without traffic on that route.
    Just go Fenagh to borris on Google maps and borris to kilkenny.
    Tis simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

FYI the Gardai have a web app this year which is very good see https://garda.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=c11c4045bb814be696c38318d962a448

The weather is looking nice and dry and might even get warm for Wednesday and Thursday, if anyone has any questions around local diversion etc let me know and I'll try.

Also for any ICA members I'm giving a presentation on my hobby Carlow Weather in their tent on Tuesday at 3pm.

See you all in the sunny southeast next week :p

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

I’d say the atmosphere at the ploughing this year will be fairly somber, between brexit, the beef trade and the latest milk price cuts, I wonder will the traders notice a reluctance in farmers willing to part with money this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I’m going up for a day. I’ll have a good look at parlors cubicles and water drinkers. All I’m missing is the money :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

What day is creed coming as o wont go that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Dickie10

why do the ploughing crowd never donate a bit of the gate to charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Are things going to get nasty up at the ploughing
    Over on Facebook there are guy talking about a hurricane hitting the board bia, aldi , lidl tents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Are things going to get nasty up at the ploughing
    Over on Facebook there are guy talking about a hurricane hitting the board bia, aldi , lidl tents

Was that not last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Dickie10 wrote: »
    why do the ploughing crowd never donate a bit of the gate to charity?

They’re too hungry for money for themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Wasn’t going to go as new role at work means I’m up the walls with things to do. But boss asked me to go as a few of the lads aren't Great at following instructions and I’d be slightly better at dealing with them.

Didn’t really have the cash to go this year as we had to replace a car and trying to do a few jobs on the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Going on weds, plan on calling in to some selected stands to give them my opinon on a few things.... might buy one of those coloured driver sticks if I can afford it......

Weather looks good for this year....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Going on weds, plan on calling in to some selected stands to give them my opinon on a few things.... might buy one of those coloured driver sticks if I can afford it......

Sure buy 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

jimmy G M wrote: »

I started using a hazel stick around here since last year. A long one, just short of shoulder high. Picked a few up when I was back in the Burren. The only job.

If you showed up at a meat factory (long long ago when they were open) with one of those ploughing sticks, they'd run you out of the place.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

Not going this year. I can't get it off work. I'm not really missing much anyway I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

I

If you showed up at a meat factory (long long ago when they were open) with one of those ploughing sticks, they'd run you out of the place.

I brought a couple of hurls and a sliotar to a picket one eve.... we had a grand puck around. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭older by the day

It was thirty Euro entry, when it was in cork. That was a spell ago. How much for me and the wife and three teen kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

If I go, it will probably be Thursday..... I notice that traffic from my side is routed through Athy...My little experience of Athy is that it's not a free flowing town. Is this likely to be a bottleneck during the ploughing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

If I go, it will probably be Thursday..... I notice that traffic from my side is routed through Athy...My little experience of Athy is that it's not a free flowing town. Is this likely to be a bottleneck during the ploughing?

yes its a bottle neck every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

I've a few bits to get in the next few months in relation to a new shed, troughs/feeders for pigs/sheep/poultry, rainwater harvesting tank and other small bits. Would there be decent deals at the ploughing or would it be more just for a look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'll head on Tuesday with the two young lads .We missed Tullamore which I prefer over the ploughing and went to no local shows this year either so looking forward to a day out . Hopefully the weather will be sound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh the weather will be sound and Carlow will be looking her best!

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1173335067466305536?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

I'm mostly going to buy some of the coloured sticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The word is the man that owns the site bought a licence and has all the beer on site sown up and for the next three years.

Hope that last bit is not true! As a site, it's hugely disruptive to anyone from South Wicklow, East Carlow or North Wexford who has reason to be going Carlow direction for work or study. The NPA are basically closing down a main arterial road, the N80 from 10am this morning till Friday afternoon next. This road carries a lot of traffic normally which will be forced onto lengthy diversions on much smaller roads. It's one of the main roads to Rosslare port. Combine that with the big influx of event traffic and there'll be míle murder.

I'm not sure if this is a first but siting the event slap bang on a national primary road will affect many more people going about their business than in previous years. It has previously being held at Grange, Tullow & Oakpark, Carlow and Ferns but these sites didn't involve closing down a main road for a full week. I just hope people send their bills to Anna May and her committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I used love to watch the Ploughing on Irish TV, especially presenter Malachi Cush, loads of charisma, very natural down to earth and entertaining. I’m surprised we haven’t seen him on other stations since Irish TV folded in 2017.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/06/05/news/malachi-cush-recovering-well-after-dungannon-crash-1634738/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭visatorro

Heading down Wednesday I think. Going to buy all round me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Settling in for the last sleep before the ploughing, I'm like a child at Xmas. Herself booked us two nights in what I'm reliably informed is a glamping site somewhere in deepest darkest Kilkenny. I've never "glamped" before but it seems to be a real life version of wanderly wagon. Hopefully the weather stays good and we can all enjoy whatever the next few days will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

are products discounted?

visatorro wrote: »

Ya wanna learn how to open the wallet first :D

Cant go myself. Way too much work on. Good complaint but needed to see a few bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭visatorro

Reggie. wrote: »
    visatorro wrote: »

Ya wanna learn how to open the wallet first :D

Problem is its wide open at the minute. Everything has fallen out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I'm trying to vote on that but it keeps coming up that I do not have permission to vote.

I won't be going and anybody I know from around that would usually be going is not. Main reason is it's location. The traffic plan for us coming from the west looks like murder.
    Annie May will be lucky if it doesn't turn into another New Ross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We're organising the producer group lambs this week so can't go,

Enroute- one student a no show- she is German and her host parents arrived late at the wrong garage and wouldn’t try catch the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

Stuck in traffic in Abbeyleix last 10 mins. Fair heavy. Nice day out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

https://player.fm/series/series-2281703/we-all-have-to-make-a-living-and-the-beef-farmers-wants-a-good-price-for-his-product

you have to hand it to Anna May.
    “We all have to make a living and the beef farmers wants a good price for his product”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Stuck in traffic the last 45 minutes coming from the wexford side.
    20 minutes from clohamon to bunclody and now just 1 mile away from turn off for tullow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I won't be going and anybody I know from around that would usually be going is not. Main reason is it's location. The traffic plan for us coming from the west looks like murder.

Having spoken to some of the folk from around my locality (rural Co Limerick) none of them going this year for the same reason, traffic plan looks to be a nightmare, wouldn't fancy being stuck in the middle of that any of the three evenings travelling every back road in the area to try and get back onto the motorway.

I don't know what it will be like going home but we got in around half nine and traffic was moving all the way without any big delays.
    Lovely weather and dry conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

A friend of mine left Cork city at 6.00 a.m. was just speaking to him on the phone, he got there at 11.40 said traffic was an absolute nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

GoneHome wrote: »
    A friend of mine left Cork city at 6.00 a.m. was just speaking to him on the phone, he got there at 11.40 said traffic was an absolute nightmare.

Sounds manic, Im going Thursday was going to leave kerry at 5.30 sounds like its chaos more this year than ever with traffic, weather bringing alot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

revoke12 wrote: »
    Sounds manic, Im going Thursday was going to leave kerry at 5.30 sounds like its chaos more this year than ever with traffic, weather bringing alot more.

That sounds crazy. Sister left east clare around 5.45am and was parked up by 8.45am and that was after a short break at Obama Plaza.

We left north Clare at 05:00 and were onsite at 08:30-

Scorcher of a day. Serious amount of underage drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

Bullocks wrote: »
    I don't know what it will be like going home but we got in around half nine and traffic was moving all the way without any big delays.

Which route was that?

Which route was that?

I'm guessing the green route

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭alswearengen

I'm trying to vote on that but it keeps coming up that I do not have permission to vote.

102,500 attended on Day 1. Biggest event in Europe so far this year apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Some attendance, heading from kerry on thursday so the limerick side anyone let me know how that route was travelling up today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

I'm living locally enough and the Brown route is near enough the bottom of our hill. I was in and out of Carlow this morning and went over to the ploughing around 12. Partner also went to work in Carlow and drove in around 8.20 and no serious traffic at that time anyway. Small bit slow through Nurney coming home but kept moving nonetheless.
    First time there and was really taken aback at the volume of people and amount of stalls etc. Weather was incredible. Had two smallies in tow which meant the wandering around for increasingly difficult as the day went on but enjoyed it all the same. I wasn't in the market to buy much stuff but a few things I have had my eye on were pretty much the same price as they would be regularly as far as I could see. Great to see the ranges of machinery and equipment though. Brilliant vintage stuff on show as well. Really enjoyed it overall.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

On way home and the trick for south cork people is go yellow route through waterford worked great today as people seemed to get caught bad onthe blue route. Many thanks the ifa for the tae,t was boiling down there

Bullocks wrote: »

Which route was that?
    Green from the west

I'm just home. I had a bitch of a head cold that I shouldn't have left home with.
    I thought there was a big crowd but I didn't meet any farmer there from home. I didn't think it was laid out great and did a lot of walking without seeing much, I'd rather if all the farming stuff wasn't mingled through with sweets and gammy stalls

• Advertisement
Advertisement