Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezer for heifer

Options
  • 10-11-2018 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

We haven't killed one of our own for years and I'm doing it this year, but first I need a freezer. What size freezer would I need for a 260kg dw heifer and 1 lamb, approx 22kg, so about 280 to 300 kg of meat max?Any of you guys use a UPS with your freezer in case of extended power outage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

turfin wrote: »
    We haven't killed one of our own for years and I'm doing it this year, but first I need a freezer. What size freezer would I need for a 260kg dw heifer and 1 lamb, approx 22kg, so about 280 to 300 kg of meat max?Any of you guys use a UPS with your freezer in case of extended power outage?

I think about 350 litres it will depend on what else you want to put in. Pizza's, chickens, bread etc. When last i killed a heifer she was 280 DW but I had a friend that too half of her

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I think about 350 litres it will depend on what else you want to put in. Pizza's, chickens, bread etc. When last i killed a heifer she was 280 DW but I had a friend that too half of her

as above split it with a friend and next time they can provide the heifer. A whole beast is too much to get caught with and you might not have it eaten before freezer burn damages it

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Shouldnt be allowed if you ask me. We had a lovely BB heifer about 9 months old went missing and could not be found. We think thats were she went!! As we have a couple neighbours you just couldnt trust and theres no other logical explanation for her disappearance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Shouldnt be allowed if you ask me. We had a lovely BB heifer about 9 months old went missing and could not be found. We think thats were she went!! As we have a couple neighbours you just couldnt trust and theres no other logical explanation for her disappearance
    So someone who raises a heifer to be sold for slaughter is ok but someone that wants to use that heifer to feed their family isnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

We use to do this before, but on the last occasion the meat which came back was no resemblance to the heifer we sent in. Meat was tough and impossible to cook.

After that we changed butchers for obvious reasons and did a deal with supplying a heifer. In return we got a freezer package of various meats. Beef, pork, chicken and turkey. After the first heifer we were sick of eating beef continuously.

• Advertisement

Believe you me stopping lads from killing there own will not stop dishonest people. It is like locks and fences only stop honest people a lock never stopped a dishonest man

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Nothing wrong with being a bit self sufficient. whats the cost of getting a heifer killed and baged these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

kerryjack wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with being a bit self sufficient. whats the cost of getting a heifer killed and baged these days.

€250-€300.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

mycro2013 wrote: »
    We use to do this before, but on the last occasion the meat which came back was no resemblance to the heifer we sent in. Meat was tough and impossible to cook.

After that we changed butchers for obvious reasons and did a deal with supplying a heifer. In return we got a freezer package of various meats. Beef, pork, chicken and turkey. After the first heifer we were sick of eating beef continuously.

We kill them at 400 to 420 kg live weight. About 220 kg carcass, angus heifer. Split between 2 houses is perfect. A couple of lambs and a pig too into each freezer.
    Killing heavy heifers is a no no for the reasons you give above.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

mycro2013 wrote: »

This sounds like a perfect arrangement, you get the satisfaction of raising your own animal from birth to slaughter and can barter the finished product. I would hope that all the meats were produced locally. A whole carcass would mean a considerable amount of meat and I would also be afraid that the novelty would soon wear off, especially with the less prime cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 turfin

This sounds like a perfect arrangement, you get the satisfaction of raising your own animal from birth to slaughter and can barter the finished product. I would hope that all the meats were produced locally. A whole carcass would mean a considerable amount of meat and I would also be afraid that the novelty would soon wear off, especially with the less prime cuts.

I reckon we’d get through it in 6-8 months. I eat a lot of beef and it never gets boring! It would be nice to have good quality aged heifer beef in the freezer when I want it rather than the lucky dip at the supermarket at premium prices. For all the factors we get paid for beef on, mostly the only thing one sees on a the packet in a supermarket is QA and AA or Hereford.

So would folks here with feeezers reckon a 350L freezer would be sufficient for a 260kg heifer and a 20kg lamb?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We’ve three pigs to go soon for the freezers, looking at some of our hex heifers and Mrs would nearly kill one herself to get it in freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Believe you me stopping lads from killing there own will not stop dishonest people. It is like locks and fences only stop honest people a lock never stopped a dishonest man

So what can you do to stop a dishonest man.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

Have a young heifer with a bad leg. I'm thinking about fattening her for the freezer. Goin to sell half to the brother in law. A couple of questions for those that have done it before.
    Ideally what weight would she want to be?
    What sort of price for half the meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

She left in the middle of the Night with Mr Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

kerryjack wrote: »
    €250-€300.

Chatting to our Butcher when picking up pigs at Christmas..

€90 to kill
    €260 to butcher

_Brian wrote: »
    Chatting to our Butcher when picking up pigs at Christmas..

€90 to kill
    €260 to butcher

That price sounds a bit high. last time I killed a heifer it was 220 euro this was about 4 years ago.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

That price sounds a bit high. last time I killed a heifer it was 220 euro this was about 4 years ago.

Paid 250 euro all in last October for one heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Thinking of getting a heifer done with the family but am a bit put off by beef in the freezer.

I put a few lambs in every year and it's perfect, but I always find any beef I freeze (bought not killed) gets that metallic taste off of it.

Don't notice it in roast/stir frys but I find the taste of a steak that's been frozen just not right. Anyone else experience this? Never notice it in any lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Jonny303 wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a heifer done with the family but am a bit put off by beef in the freezer.

I put a few lambs in every year and it's perfect, but I always find any beef I freeze (bought not killed) gets that metallic taste off of it.

Don't notice it in roast/stir frys but I find the taste of a steak that's been frozen just not right. Anyone else experience this? Never notice it in any lamb

frostbite:D

Have you a thermometer in the freezer, is it at the right temp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Haha no everything else is perfect, I just find steak takes on that nasty metallic taste. Lamb is perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got my heifer killed on Sunday. 535kg live Weight. Hanging in abbatoir before it goes to the butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Got my heifer killed on Sunday. 535kg live Weight. Hanging in abbatoir before it goes to the butcher.

try to hang it for 21 days if you can.

Depending on how fresh she was weighted she will weight 275=/- 10kgs. maybe a tad with it as butchers do not trim like factories. A tad on the high side for a freezer heifer

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Depending on how fresh she was weighted she will weight 275=/- 10kgs. maybe a tad with it as butchers do not trim like factories. A tad on the high side for a freezer heifer

ya anything killing over 220 is too big for 1 house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm only taking half thankfully.

What’s the economics like on killing your own and having it butchered vs selling it with the rest and buying your meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

What’s the economics like on killing your own and having it butchered vs selling it with the rest and buying your meat?

Last heifers I kill for the freezer I ask the butcher that was cutting the meat up what would that much meat cost to buy in butcher shop
    At least 2 grand he said pricey buying meat i taught !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Yearra my bollocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Anybody here or know people who kill an old cull cow for the freezer. There would be more flavor, the French swear by it, and chefs say a cull dairy cow put to grass for -6mths is comparable to $80/kg Kobe.

Advertisement