Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Stop 90's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

That somehow found out where the 90s staff were working in their day jobs, phoned up and said "one of your employees is spending his free time at a pirate station".

That itself is not credible, what's even less credible is that the employers would care.

I'm annoyed that 90s is gone too, but this is nonsense.

It's not really credible.

Its very credible.
    The radio world is very small and the connection between pirates and legal station is tight.
    There are a couple of ex pirates in legal radio who would anything they can to destroy the pirates today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Whatever happened, or whom ever wanted them gone - it has worked. Pirates in Dublin are largely obliterated. I'm sure they'll creep back over time as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Well since ComReg are largely doing nothing about the Pirates, I guess some of the legals have decided to take action themselves, by whatever means possible.

Probably more efficacious than ComReg, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Well, maybe, maybe not.

Revenue might have been told (I'm speculating) that certain individuals were earning extra income from the station.

Certain of them may be employed in jobs where an illegal activity would be incompatible with their position. I'm speculating again.

Stirring the sh1t, basically.

Revenue would not need to be told by a licenced station - they are very active and very capable of making their own enquiries.

What I found odd was the allegation that jamming on FM was going to commence - it has not been denied by the licenced station,

As for COMREG and lack of action - I would imagine that they are very aware of where FM sites are located and can take action when they want to - as most stations tend to close with the minimum of COMREG interference why would they(COMREG) waste valuable resources in raiding stations.

COMREGs recent activity can be attributed to (imho) - TX FMs closure, complaints from licenced stations, the success of non stop 90s and the advertising allegedly been lost by the legals in the run up to the Christmas period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Infoanon wrote: »
    COMREGs recent activity can be attributed to (imho) - TX FMs closure, complaints from licenced stations, the success of non stop 90s and the advertising allegedly been lost by the legals in the run up to the Christmas period.

Absolutely cringe-worthy reading this, am I right in saying we are in the year 2016?

I would not put it past the so called 'legal' stations. For example Adrian K/Jeremy, been whipped off air on FM104 because he was in talks to move to 98FM then been basically handed a ban by FM104 to work on air for 6 months with garden leave I think it was called.

I suppose its not bad that there is some regulation in radio, as some of these 'legal' stations sound like they would fill up a jerry can down the local Topaz with a 10er petrol if you get where I am going with this one. Disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭marsbar1

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Article by Enda Caldwell on thejournal.ie yesterday on the current state of Irish radio.

'Irish radio needs pirate stations - the rest are too middle-of-the-road' http://jrnl.ie/3063738

a very good article. non stop 90s seems to have made people realise what they could have if things were different. a pirate showed the legals up to be rubbish again, as a number have done before it and will do again.

as i said before it is really unfortunate that everyone can't experience online radio. more creativity and diversity then you can shake a stick at. once you go to online radio you will never look back at the nothingness of licenced radio in ireland. i don't even own an fm radio and haven't since 2012, i don't even miss having one.
    Online radio is nothing. You need a unlimited data plan (very expensive) , you have to faff with a mobile and plug it into your car radio. 90s success would never have happened if it wasn't on FM. Now its off FM and online only they might as well not bother. This is not some anoraky statement - it's the way things are in 2016 and are likely to be for many years to come. FM is real radio. Digital (inc DAB) is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

marsbar1 wrote: »
    Online radio is nothing. You need a unlimited data plan (very expensive) , you have to faff with a mobile and plug it into your car radio.

it's a small problem but data plans are going to get cheeper and technology will become easier.
    90s success would never have happened if it wasn't on FM. Now its off FM and online only they might as well not bother.

why. should all the other online stations shut up shop as well? after all they aren't on fm, so they may as well not bother, right?
    FM is real radio. Digital (inc DAB) is not.

radio is real radio. whether it is fm or online or digital.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Online radio is nothing. You need a unlimited data plan (very expensive) , you have to faff with a mobile and plug it into your car radio. 90s success would never have happened if it wasn't on FM. Now its off FM and online only they might as well not bother. This is not some anoraky statement - it's the way things are in 2016 and are likely to be for many years to come. FM is real radio. Digital (inc DAB) is not.

Online radio is not nothing and real radio is online in various forms of media not FM. What's stopping online stations from reaching the masses is let's face it car manufacturers sticking with cheaper FM units for cars, but this will change and as the car becomes part of the IOT (internet of things) you'll soon find FM been decimated and it won't be long then until mobile operators are bidding for licences to use the spectrum for what ever geneation of mobile network is needed.

And just to back up my post above you can see what the likes of Netflix, Amazon etc.. have done to traditional TV they have whipped the floor with the traditional thinking. Sooner the better IMO, you might find RTE and the likes breaking a the steams and becoming content only suppliers to Netflix and the likes, just hopefully the tax payers finally get a release from that gravy train.

TV3 is doing well now, but not so long ago it was nearly turning into a studio only setup for producing and selling it's content. The same will happen to FM.

I agree that traditonal broadcast TV is outdated. But you still need an internet connection, a fast one at that. And netflix is not free. You can't compare changes in TV to radio. To be successful, radio needs to be free at the point of delivery and until your mobile internet is unlimited and cheap, the idea of internet radio competing with FM radio is decades away. There is no sign of this happening, in the past few years unlimited data plans or even generous ones have been disappearing fast and going up in price. They used to be 10 euro a month, they are now more like 50. That is not going in the right direction.

You might like to fantasise that your internet station is a success but your dreams you describe are decades away with no sign at the monent of ever happening. FM is king.

• Advertisement

You might like to fantasise that your internet station is a success but your dreams you describe are decades away with no sign at the monent of ever happening. FM is king.

who might. who's dreams.
    i can tell you the likes of di.fm and others don't fantasise that they are a success, they are a success. nobody ever stated they're would be a huge mass migration to internet radio. your post is a reply to things that weren't even said by anyone. fm is only king in terms of delivery, not in terms of offering. the only thing that was mentioned was the amount of choice availible via each platform. not which platform is the best delivery system. oh and again to repeat, radio via whatever platform is real radio.

And there's your problem. If its not on AM/FM, nobody is listening

wrong. plenty are listening. not as much as terrestrial, but they are listening. if they weren't, they're wouldn't be an internet station, dab/dab+ stations, or any other stations on any other platform existing anywhere in the world. just like all forms of radio are real radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I pay €35 a month for unlimited data, a lot cheaper plans out there too. It's not very expensive. And you don't have to plug anything into your car radio, your phone will automatically connect through bluetooth. I don't know anyone who still listens to radio. Podcasts, audiobooks, spotify are all so easily available. Who the hell wants to listen to radio where you get so many repeated news reports, traffic, ads, shít songs, subects or guests you don't like and you can't skip, and the odd interesting thing you can't pause. The biggest phone manufacturers don't even put an FM tuner on their phone anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

I'm old school ish, put music on USB stick, put in car radio, enjoy hour's of music you like

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dxman105

wrong. plenty are listening. not as much as terrestrial, but they are listening. if they weren't, they're wouldn't be an internet station, dab/dab+ stations, or any other stations on any other platform existing anywhere in the world. just like all forms of radio are real radio.

Mars bar is right. You might get the odd few enthusiasts listening online but on the whole most people have never heard of online only stations. 90s would have never in a million years have got the success it did if it weren't on FM. How many of you are listening to it now online?, I can assure you there won't be manym but more then had it not been on FM. Gradually people will forget it. Online radio is fine to supplement real FM radio, but with no FM you might as well not bother especially in Ireland where internet coverage is woeful on the move and at home on the outskirts. Even worse outside Dublin.

Cienciano wrote: »

I pay €35 a month for unlimited data, a lot cheaper plans out there too. It's not very expensive. And you don't have to plug anything into your car radio, your phone will automatically connect through bluetooth. I don't know anyone who still listens to radio. Podcasts, audiobooks, spotify are all so easily available. Who the hell wants to listen to radio where you get so many repeated news reports, traffic, ads, shít songs, subects or guests you don't like and you can't skip, and the odd interesting thing you can't pause. The biggest phone manufacturers don't even put an FM tuner on their phone anymore
    If you are so disinterested in radio and so into your smartphone then why on earth are you even posting in the radio section. I have an FM tuner on my phone of course. €35 a month is way too much for a connection on your phone when you already pay more for your home broadband package. Face it if online radio was the answer then why have they made a massive point of making sure there are nationwide FM frequencies for Xmas FM? Look at RTE's digital only stations ie Pulse - the figures and reach are pathetic!

dxman105 wrote: »
    Mars bar is right. You might get the odd few enthusiasts listening online but on the whole most people have never heard of online only stations. 90s would have never in a million years have got the success it did if it weren't on FM. How many of you are listening to it now online?, I can assure you there won't be manym but more then had it not been on FM. Gradually people will forget it. Online radio is fine to supplement real FM radio, but with no FM you might as well not bother especially in Ireland where internet coverage is woeful on the move and at home on the outskirts. Even worse outside Dublin.

Mars bar isn't right. he stated online radio isn't real radio, it is . and it's what he was called out on. however, he decided to go off on a tangent about stuff that wasn't even mentioned.
    the rest of your post, like Mars bar's, is irrelevant as it's replying to stuff that wasn't said.
    If you are so disinterested in radio and so into your smartphone then why on earth are you even posting in the radio section.

because he is entitled to discuss other forms of radio, or other competition to radio, in the radio section last time i checked.
    I have an FM tuner on my phone of course. €35 a month is way too much for a connection on your phone when you already pay more for your home broadband package.

assuming he is paying that on top of his home broadband package. the lot might be included as a package.
    Face it if online radio was the answer then why have they made a massive point of making sure there are nationwide FM frequencies for Xmas FM? Look at RTE's digital only stations ie Pulse - the figures and reach are pathetic!

face it, you are posting replies in relation to things that weren't said by anyone on here.
    online radio is an add on to the number of different types of radio platforms availible around the world, not a replacement. nobody said it would be a replacement, but that it will grow. it will grow and analogue radio will have to adapt and provide something worth listening to, or die.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you are so disinterested in radio and so into your smartphone then why on earth are you even posting in the radio section. I have an FM tuner on my phone of course. €35 a month is way too much for a connection on your phone when you already pay more for your home broadband package. Face it if online radio was the answer then why have they made a massive point of making sure there are nationwide FM frequencies for Xmas FM? Look at RTE's digital only stations ie Pulse - the figures and reach are pathetic!

I'd be paying that 35 a month and I'd have a internet connection at home if I listened to the radio or not. You'll notice I didn't mention online only radio. Podcasts, audiobooks and spotify are all superior to FM radio. I'll explain why.

First of all, turn on your fm radio and you're limited to about 15 stations and whatever they're playing at that exact moment. Podcasts you have the choice of almost any radio station in the world and whatever show you like. Even most irish radio shows have a podcast version. A version without ads and you can pause or rewind if you miss a bit. FM has the advantage that it's free, but as I said, I'd be paying for my broadband and phone anyway, so makes no difference to me.
    Apple and Samsung are the 2 biggest smartphone manufacturers. Apple never had FM radio and Samsung have dropped it from their flagship models.

You carry on ignoring the point of the discussion and ignoring the facts which are without FM there would be virtually no listeners of any meaningful number to even bother being on air. You cannot deny this fact.

• Advertisement

You carry on ignoring the point of the discussion and ignoring the facts which are

nope. unless it's stuff irrelevant to the discussion for which it wouldn't be relevant so no point in responding to it.
    without FM there would be virtually no listeners of any meaningful number to even bother being on air.

the thousands of online stations who are on air even with small listenership disagree, and say they're is every point in being on air, because traditional radio doesn't and never will provide what they provide. nobody ever once stated online radio will have more listenership then fm, so again your responding with waffle to stuff that wasn't even said or disagreed with.
    You cannot deny this fact.

actually, i can. because it isn't fact. what are facts.
    1. you are responding to things that weren't said.
    2. fm listenership is ever so slowly declining. where those listeners will go is anyone's guess.
    3. online radio is real radio, just a different form, and they are on air, even with small listenership.

So, the online stream for Non Stop 90s sounds very much like a relay of a blank FM carrier today.

Are they coming back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

JDxtra wrote: »
    So, the online stream for Non Stop 90s sounds very much like a relay of a blank FM carrier today.

Are they coming back?

Update: I'm going to take a wild guess here... they are relaying 93.2 and will reappear there soon, maybe with a new name.

Can't see them coming back so soon. Especially so close to Xmas. Probably just a gremlin in the system. If they were to make a comeback, picking up where Xmas FM leave off on all their frequencies would be a good way to spread the name but I imagine that would take a lot of resources to get in place. They may even hear themselves in Virgin media again!

Maybe they plan on resurrecting Noughty!

back to normal now.
    i've been noticing since they closed on fm the stream sounds a bit different, different processing settings i assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Alice deejay - better off alone still sounding as fresh as ever. Hopefully they get a temp licence like 8radio have. They seem to be on a good bit.

marsbar1 wrote:
    FM is the most important medium

again, who said otherwise.
    marsbar1 wrote:
    the very fact that 90s is off FM means it is effectively closed

if it is broadcasting via a form of radio then it is open and on air.
    marsbar1 wrote:
    Nobody is interested in an online ony station

clearly they are, otherwise online stations wouldn't be on air. a number will have very miniscule listenership while others quite decent.
    marsbar1 wrote:
    Which is why there are so many people wanting licences and why they are putting the likes of Xmas FM, on FM so that people can actually hear it

are many people wanting licences? i can't imagine so at the moment for various reasons. as for christmas fm being on fm, means nothing as you are just posting another bit of irrelevant information in reply to something that wasn't said and which wasn't disagreed with.
    marsbar1 wrote:
    You carry on living on your dream world of online radio actually having some listeners and meaning something

i will cary on living in the real world where the fact is, internet radio has listeners and actually means something to those who listen to it, otherwise it wouldn't exist. thanks.
    marsbar1 wrote:
    You are deluding yourself.

i'm really not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Mike O' Brien

My 2 cents.FM is where it's at baby. Online as extra add on. I would also like to thank non Stop 90s for the bounce that www.the90snetwork.com has recieved since they have shut down. Our figures have upped about 19% overall....

Every now and then I check the listener stats of the streaming stations. I have observed that being on FM definitely gives a station more visibility and drives up the online streams for that station also. The stats below are as of right now and are relatively “normal” daytime stats for these stations.

Trance Pulse FM Dublin – 56 concurrent listeners
    Non-Stop 90s - 19 concurrent listeners
    Classix.ie - 16 concurrent listeners
    Phever.ie - 12 concurrent listeners (excludes viewers of video stream)
    Dublins KISS - 7 concurrent listeners
    Storm North East - 6 concurrent listeners
    Heat Dublin - 5 concurrent listeners
    UDMI Radio - 3 concurrent listeners
    The 90s Network - 3 concurrent listeners
    NLR / Chill FM - 1 concurrent listeners

• Registered Users Posts: 36 More Tea

JDxtra wrote: »
    Every now and then I check the listener stats of the streaming stations.

I was wondering how you do that JDxtra and can stats for legal stations be viewed too?

• Advertisement

More Tea wrote: »
    I was wondering how you do that JDxtra and can stats for legal stations be viewed too?

Most stations use providers for their hosting - and these providers generally run ShoutCast or IceCast software. In it's unmodified form, ShoutCast and IceCast provide a web site for each stream showing listener stats and stream information (if the broadcaster sends it).

So, for example - I can see 4FM have 3 separate ShoutCast streams that I can find and all are operated by https://shoutca.st (who are using the big data centre provider OVH, but all likely the same server). I've found the 3 streams by looking at the code on their web site and also TuneIn. They could have other streams (e.g. from a private app), but these would be harder to find.

On the websites below you can see the listener information:

http://sirius.shoutca.st:8703 - 62 concurrent listeners
    http://sirius.shoutca.st:8166 - 155 concurrent listeners
    http://sirius.shoutca.st:8188 - 109 concurrent listeners

Total = 326

All the 4FM streams are based on ShoutCast and are marked as private. This just means they will not appear in the radio station directory at ShoutCast.com. If they were, you can see the listener stats right there.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement