Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Moan Again, Naturally: Liveline 18/07/2019 to date

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,915 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

If I ever get dementia I want one of ye on here to what me over the head with a shovel, really hard.

Is there anybody up for the job?

<cue rush>
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

dvcireland wrote: »
    child's name overheard in supermarket recently

". .Cooper
    I have cousins who have named their kids Panda, Zebedee and Bashe -- seriously.

Always think it's interesting that there are strict rules on what you can't name a racehorse, but kids are open-season for their parents bizarre whims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

A happy ending? Even after presenting the show for so many weeks, Katie really doesn't understand liveline, does she?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Katie wasn't expecting that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,261 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Buttersuki’s Wurkday Calculator gets a mention on *cough* Broadsheet and dat :eek:

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/09/13/no-show-like-a-no-show/

Well done, well done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Buttersuki’s Wurkday Calculator gets a mention on *cough* Broadsheet and dat :eek:

Mis-spelt my name too the muppets.

I can add this to my published works in Viz (true story).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

oh hello!!

Had to go to a meeting so missed the end of the show. Listening back now and there are inconsistencies in the first callers story.

After he asked his friend to only vape outside, his voice came back and never went away again.

Then a few minutes later he said he was in a hotel and someone was vaping and his voice went again. So which is it Dermot?

I got a mention in The Irish Times before. :D

Okay, who wants to hit me over the head with the shovel now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Had to go to a meeting so missed the end of the show. Listening back now and there are inconsistencies in the first callers story.

After he asked his friend to only vape outside, his voice came back and never went away again.

Then a few minutes later he said he was in a hotel and someone was vaping and his voice went again. So which is it Dermot?

That guy was just a spoofer imo. Whatever you might think of vaping, it could not possibly have the effect he described.
    It's not unusual on Liveline for callers to tell the most ridiculous and obviously fabricated stories without being challenged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Form an orderly que,behind me :)

Roger_007 wrote: »
    That guy was just a spoofer imo. Whatever you might think of vaping, it could not possibly have the effect he described.
    It's not unusual on Liveline for callers to tell the most ridiculous and obviously fabricated stories without being challenged.

Im now listening to the woman whose friend took up vaping after being a heavy smoker for 40 years and had a stroke after taking up vaping.

Katie just pointed out, maybe the stroke was the result of 40 odd years of heavy smoking?

Well, there's always the possibility it's nothing more or less than made-up bullshyt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Correlation does not imply causation except on liveline.

withless wrote: »
    Correlation does not imply causation except on liveline.

"And IMRO rang you on the anniversary, did they, did they? *sigh*".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Roger_007 wrote: »
    So what did we do with this wonderful 'freedom'? The history of the Irish independent state is not all that wonderful.
    We had mass poverty and unemployment.
    Emigration increased rather than decreased.
    We created industrial schools.
    We created Magdelene laundries and Mother and Baby homes.
    We had draconian laws on divorce and abortion dictated by the Catholic Church.

What really happened was that we replaced oppression by the British with even worse oppression by the Catholic Church. What we created was an oppressive and priest-ridden state presided over by spineless politicians who were elected by a spineless people.
    We really have nothing much to be proud of.

That's simply unhistorical, a cliché.

Thing is though, emigration actually slowed down after independence, when Britain was the richest empire in the world in the 19th century, 1 mllion Irish starved to death, another million the British were happy to force on the US through.... immigration.

Poverty and the economy were so bad in Ireland in the early 20th century, they could not actually get worse under free Irish rule.
    The British had no interest in helping us, no more than the Indians or Kenyans.

Under Irish rule, emigration slowed down, stopped and reversed.

A lot of people seem to forget that.

Incidentally, laundries and the Church existed before independence.

The people got what they voted for regarding divorce and abortion, it was their choice.

Which one of you rascals is Aonghus McAnally O’Carroll in the comments? :)

At least broadsheet credited me, unlike de Indo writer who essentially plagiarised my Weekly Column feature, and her.ie (ay least I think it was them) who did the same with my Lahv Lahn Bingo Buzzword Card so to speak.

Which one of you rascals is Aonghus McAnally O’Carroll in the comments? :)

At least broadsheet credited me, unlike de Indo writer who essentially plagiarised my Weekly Column feature, and her.ie (ay least I think it was them) who did the same with my Lahv Lahn Bingo Buzzword Card so to speak.

Both well known rags. Oliver Callan does a great (accurate) depiction on Callan's Kicks where Varadkar hand-picks her.ie at press conferences to ask the most inane, fawning questions about the life of a 'very young celebrity' Taoiseach.

Presumably that means the authors in question read this forum, so without giving them extra traffic to their tabloid websites, let's credit the two 'journalists' as Ciara Knight and Eilís O'Hanlon.

One is an unknown and the other is a known troll, so I doubt anyone is surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Turns out Ivan Calorie does not have a brass neck
    Ivor Callely suffers ‘life-changing’ injuries after breaking his neck in horror bike smash
    Expenses swindler Callely has been receiving treatment in the spinal unit of Dublin’s Mater Hospital.
    The former lag is said to have fallen from his bike after hitting a tree stump.

Callely, who split with his wife, is being comforted by his blonde foreign partner following his ordeal.
    He was banged up in 2014 by Judge Mary Ellen Ring

zell12 wrote: »

Probably texting on a ropey phone :). Poor staff having to help him.

Potential claim?

He'd want to get a new solicitor. The last lad wasn't able to prevent him being jailed.

sligojoek wrote: »
    He'd want to get a new solicitor. The last lad wasn't able to prevent him being jailed.

No, but he got him an hour's free advertising PR and puff piece on with Mr. Duffy to extol his many virtues such as being a very fit man and a great speaker.........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

There'll be no more riding for him for a while then ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Turns out Ivan Calorie does not have a brass neck
    Ivor Callely suffers ‘life-changing’ injuries after breaking his neck in horror bike smash
    Expenses swindler Callely has been receiving treatment in the spinal unit of Dublin’s Mater Hospital.
    The former lag is said to have fallen from his bike after hitting a tree stump.

Callely, who split with his wife, is being comforted by his blonde foreign partner following his ordeal.
    "expenses swindler" "former lag" "split with his wife" now being "comforted by his blonde foreign partner"
    I really love this style of writing.. So much imformation

Without clicking I'd guess it's the sun or mirror

"expenses swindler" "former lag" "split with his wife" now being "comforted by his blonde foreign partner"
    Aye, complete with grimace
    NINTCHDBPICT000000357379-1.jpg?w=620

In fairness it's appropriate given the individual involved. Did they leave out "used car salesman"?

It seems Ivan's disregard for the law runs in the family:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/ivor-callely-son-firework-copper-face-jacks-4706588-Jul2019/

In fairness it's appropriate given the individual involved. Did they leave out "used car salesman"? ...
    No!
    The Sun informs:
    He has been trying to rebuild his life as a car salesman after being caged for making fraudulent mobile phone expense claims.
    The former Fianna Fail Junior Minister and Senator served four months at Wheatfield Prison in Dublin for the scam.

• Advertisement

Potential claim?

Hed be stumped....again if he tries that one :)

Aye, complete with grimace
    NINTCHDBPICT000000357379-1.jpg?w=620
    Indeed.. The "red tops" have done the state some service

The tree stump did an even bigger one.

The tree stump did an even bigger one.
    They should put a plaque on it for future generations

Judge should keep her eyes on the road.

No!
    The Sun informs:

Isn’t that an oxymoron?

Oh noes, time for a new thread, bejaysus.

New Thread title submissions please.

A resubmission so to speak:
    Lahv Lahn: the "We're here all summer and dat” edition so to speak.

Lahv Lahn: the "Can I talk about death Joe? Of corpse you can caller" edition.

I'll get me coat.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Liveline: Last of the summer whine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

New thread......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Whooooy

Have they published any BEWKS between them even?

My gravy train is drying up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

My money is on PBH

Following on from Dubalin's success in "the GAA thing" I wonder will Mr. Duffy be back anytime soon to complete his own 5 (shows) in a row? Now that would be historic and unprecedented.

Ploughing this week - maybe a FunnyFryday on a Turrsday?

De udder thread hasn't been closed yet callers!

Following on from Dubalin's success in "the GAA thing" I wonder will Mr. Duffy be back anytime soon to complete his own 5 (shows) in a row? Now that would be historic and unprecedented.

Ploughing this week - maybe a FunnyFryday on a Turrsday?

A funny Friday would be a novelty, a funny Friday ova Thursday would be a bigger one !

A funny Friday would be a novelty, a funny Friday ova Thursday would be a bigger one !

De "FunnyFryday on a Turrsday" is a staple from De Ploughing and dat. And yes, he does call it FunnyFryday on a Turrsday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Enjoy Gory Death Here !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement