Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Wonder how will this affect oil prices ??
    Just filled the kero tank this week.

http://news.sky.com/story/us-blames-iran-for-drone-attack-on-critical-saudi-oil-facility-11809206

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »

http://news.sky.com/story/us-blames-iran-for-drone-attack-on-critical-saudi-oil-facility-11809206

10 drones attacked it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Whatever about oil prices, if Saudi Arabia retaliate against Iran, all bets are off in the Middle East, would make the Iraq/Syria isis conflict look like a playground scuffle in comparison to what’s to come, Trump really isn’t the president to preside over this

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Whatever about oil prices, if Saudi Arabia retaliate against Iran, all bets are off in the Middle East, would make the Iraq/Syria isis conflict look like a playground scuffle in comparison to what’s to come, Trump really isn’t the president to preside over this

Maybe he is. Get it over quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One really doesn't want the Shia and Sunni Muslims kicking off in a big way. Major ripple effect across the Islamic world. This is down to Trump, he had a deal with the Iranians and he tore it up, for petty petulance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Nothing like a confronting a tresspasser on a Sunday morning. Wandering when ya cant see 40ft with the fog is fecking stupid anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

dont think Trump gives a fiddlers about Middle East..... hes interested in himself and his own country and everyone else can look after themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The least militarily adventurous U.S. President in 40 years, not one of his guns out predecessors is exactly what is needed.

Water John wrote: »
    One really doesn't want the Shia and Sunni Muslims kicking off in a big way. Major ripple effect across the Islamic world. This is down to Trump, he had a deal with the Iranians and he tore it up, for petty petulance.

It's been kicking on and off for a thousand years now.

In Yemen you can see the creation of South Yemen decades ago as purely the Sunni side wanting a pure state of their own.

The current civil war there also started before he was President.
    Might as well say he caused the Yemennite war of 1979, go all out.

• Advertisement

Is all galvanise the same profile?

Want to do a repair to a 30 year old shed and new sheets will need to match profile of old sheets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Unlikely, I know the box profile cladding has changed to get more coverage out if it.
    Maybe tell the supplier how many ridges are on a sheet. Or sometimes you can see the makers stamp on the underside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭148multi

Iran won an international court of justice case against the US in 2018 over sanctions, the Saudis are just contracting for the US in Yemen. Another allie of the US bombed 16 oil pipelines in Iran in April 96 or 97, will there be an all-out war? unlikely, they are just sniping at one another. There is some very dirty s**t going on in Yemen in the name of the west. The policy is just being continued by trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jim_11

There's a sobac pelleted fertilizer made from compost with what looks like being inoculated with fungi. Some poster's on here claim some success with it.

I wouldn't really buy into foliars being harmful to soil biology. If you were using natural products like seaweed juice and molasses, you'll have a good amount that'll reach the soil anyway and it'll definitely feed the biology.

Yea roadstone arklow is a basalt pit. And I reckon the real good stuff too. 1 or 2 ton to the acre would be no problem at all and probably would be a good figure at which just to try it. Maybe you might be lucky but when I contacted them a few years ago and I told them my plans they just never called me back. It's sold as quarry dust. I think theirs is 4mm to zero.
    If you did get it though you'd get a bigger bang for your buck by mixing the basalt into your dungheap and let the microbes in the dung do their thing on the dust and then spread the whole lot together later on.

https://twitter.com/REMIN_rockdust/status/1171445169574445057?s=20

You're dead right though to bring the boron up in your soil. If you bring the boron up, the less nitrogen you'll need to apply. And also dead right to slowly make the change on cutting back fert.
    I think though you'll have to be bringing something back onto the farm to compensate for nutrients leaving the farm whether it be going with more straw in the future or bringing in woodchip or bought meal etc.

Keep us informed how the multispecies crop goes on.

Edit :Just thinking about the multispecies crop just being established. I'd seriously consider putting out a fert now with a bit of p and k and n and boron. It'd be the same as anyone sowing beet. The boron in the conventional fert will do no harm to soil biology.

Gonna give sobac a go on the dung, any suppliers in the SE?
    Gonna get a few loads of basalt delivered to the yard, spread some direct and I’ll try putting a few scoops in the sheds before the straw bedding, doubled the number of straw bought this year, any thoughts on quality of dung from barley vs wheaten vs oaten straw, I can get wheaten straw fairly cheap this year
    Boron foliar going on this week, €35/10l at 2l/ha

Saw some posters mention that they are buying in silage not to be taking all the nutrients off their own land, you’re not gonna be sure of what you’re buying but for dry sucklers or outwintered cattle for fibre it would be grand, less hassle worrying about the weather, fert, contractor too. Worked it out here before that it’s averaging €23-25/bale to make depending on fert and bales/acre

148multi wrote: »
    Iran won an international court of justice case against the US in 2018 over sanctions, the Saudis are just contracting for the US in Yemen. Another allie of the US bombed 16 oil pipelines in Iran in April 96 or 97, will there be an all-out war? unlikely, they are just sniping at one another. There is some very dirty s**t going on in Yemen in the name of the west. The policy is just being continued by trump.

Countries there have their own motivations, Will and abilities.

They are not formless fools being played by the West.

I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Jim_11 wrote: »
    Gonna give sobac a go on the dung, any suppliers in the SE?
    Gonna get a few loads of basalt delivered to the yard, spread some direct and I’ll try putting a few scoops in the sheds before the straw bedding, doubled the number of straw bought this year, any thoughts on quality of dung from barley vs wheaten vs oaten straw, I can get wheaten straw fairly cheap this year
    Boron foliar going on this week, €35/10l at 2l/ha

Saw some posters mention that they are buying in silage not to be taking all the nutrients off their own land, you’re not gonna be sure of what you’re buying but for dry sucklers or outwintered cattle for fibre it would be grand, less hassle worrying about the weather, fert, contractor too. Worked it out here before that it’s averaging €23-25/bale to make depending on fert and bales/acre

I'm sending you a private message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I put out CAN at the weekend, I see there is no rain forecast til the weekend down here...
    Will much of the nitrogen be lost, if it doesn’t get a shower for a few days?

It went out on stubble turnips, so onto brown ground...

I put out CAN at the weekend, I see there is no rain forecast til the weekend down here...
    Will much of the nitrogen be lost, if it doesn’t get a shower for a few days?

It went out on stubble turnips, so onto brown ground...

CAN doesn't need rain. That's urea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Eldest lad went back to college today after 5 months off. One off my dry cows decided to calve way far away and the calf went down into a deep double ditch. My 75 year old dad went down and tied a rope on the calf and I pulled it up. A Belgian blue heifer. All is good.

• Advertisement

When you're sitting waiting for the hedgecutter driver to go into the paddock with the stock in it. And to pass the time you write out your English name in Ogham .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

When you're sitting waiting for the hedgecutter driver to go into the paddock with the stock in it. And to pass the time you write out your English name in Ogham .

Good to keep the brain active. Crosswords are good too.

Muckit wrote: »
    Good to keep the brain active. Crosswords are good too.

I've decided my grave stone is going to be a length of granite with notches carved into the corners.
    It'll be better than those traveller or gangster monstrosities and the oikes will have to use a bit of brainpower to figure out who the hell it is and sure if not I'll have naked virgins dancing around it on the 1st of February.

Rescued

I've decided my grave stone is going to be a length of granite with notches carved into the corners.
    It'll be better than those traveller or gangster monstrosities and the oikes will have to use a bit of brainpower to figure out who the hell it is and sure if not I'll have naked virgins dancing around it on the 1st of February.

I’ve asked for a garden bench style thing on my grave. At least once a year after I’m gone at cemetery Sunday they will think I was a genius as they sit there relaxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    Eldest lad went back to college today after 5 months off. One off my dry cows decided to calve way far away and the calf went down into a deep double ditch. My 75 year old dad went down and tied a rope on the calf and I pulled it up. A Belgian blue heifer. All is good.

Well done
    Guess at midterm he’ll be getting a fencing job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I’ve asked for a garden bench style thing on my grave. At least once a year after I’m gone at cemetery Sunday they will think I was a genius as they sit there relaxing.
    By the time you cock your toes I wonder will anyone be going to these cemetery Sundays?
    A young neighbour of ours died a few years ago and his parents erected a bench in a public park in Manchester for his sister who was living there but couldn't get home that often to visit the grave. There is a plaque with the lads name on it. His father likes to sit there when he goes over and if anyone sits down beside him he gets enjoyment telling them about the plaque and his son. It wouldnt be for me but different strokes for different folks and all that

And for the other 364 days of the year. The cemetery groundskeeper will be cursing your name from picking up empty bottles and tinnies all over your grave. :pac:

I'd say when our time comes, there will be no such thing as conventional graves. we'll all be going into an urn and put in a small vault in a wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'd say when our time comes, there will be no such thing as conventional graves. we'll all be going into an urn and put in a small vault in a wall.

Speak for yourself. I have so many drugs in my system I'll have to be sent straight into the sun to minimise dangers to mankind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Proper order, very few family members left to maintain graves now with them all emigrating, in our graveyard now we just knock the headstones flat and mow out across them. we tell the relatives it's for ''health and safety'' :D

• Advertisement

Speak for yourself. I have so many drugs in my system I'll have to be sent straight into the sun to minimise dangers to mankind.

I can't see Kerry County Council paying for that!!

Nah you'll be dug up in a thousand years time fully intact and put up on display in Kerry County Museum.

wrangler wrote: »
    Proper order, very few family members left to maintain graves now with them all emigrating, in our graveyard now we just knock the headstones flat and mow out across them. we tell the relatives it's for ''health and safety'' :D

That's what happens when you take cuts of silage in a graveyard.
    #holysilage.

You'd better go for a casket, wouldn't want the bench falling to one side 😰

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

That's what happens when you take cuts of silage in a graveyard.
    #holysilage.

Go in first with an ould double chop, it'll take out the hills, the ride on will handle it after that........ our lawnmower is four wheel drive, it'll handle the rough terrain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Hopefully there'll be more of an appreciation of resources and the damage of emmissions than to waste energy on cremation and concrete walls on a completely biodegradable corpse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Hopefully there'll be more of an appreciation of resources and the damage of emmissions than to waste energy on cremation and concrete walls on a completely biodegradable corpse.

Lot of space taken up with graveyards, and they aren’t getting smaller, and neither are the headstones...

I was somewhere, Cuba I think, and the way they did it was you had what we’d call a full size grave, and then a small kinda tomb or crypt at the bottom, maybe 2ft long by the width of the grave.

You were buried in the grave for a year I think, or maybe longer. Then, after a certain time, you were dug up and the bones taken out and put into the smaller crypt place at the bottom of the grave.

Saved on space I guess, as space was an issue...

Seemed a good idea to be fair...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

They can whack me into a skip out the back, blast me into space or use me for medical training. I don’t care, whatever happens I won’t be coming back. Will be happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I was told by someone last week that all corpses have to be embalmed now, is that true? If so none of us will be breaking down too quickly!

Edit- nevermind, Google says no!!

I was told by someone last week that all corpses have to be embalmed now, is that true? If so none of us will be breaking down too quickly!

Edit- nevermind, Google says no!!

That’s my understanding

Lot of space taken up with graveyards, and they aren’t getting smaller, and neither are the headstones...

I was somewhere, Cuba I think, and the way they did it was you had what we’d call a full size grave, and then a small kinda tomb or crypt at the bottom, maybe 2ft long by the width of the grave.

You were buried in the grave for a year I think, or maybe longer. Then, after a certain time, you were dug up and the bones taken out and put into the smaller crypt place at the bottom of the grave.

I often think the Beaker People in Ireland here 4000 years ago had a lovely ritual at burial.
    The men were put in a crouched position lying on their side (most likely like a foetal position for their next birth) with their head to the north and facing east. A drinking pot/ Beaker was placed beside them along with various other gifts.
    The women were put in the same crouched position lying on their side with their head to the south and facing east with a drinking Beaker and then various gifts.

Curiously as of like today there was a shift then to cremations and burying the ashes in the pots. And then it moved to just cremations without the pots.

Agree with all above, way it's going nowadays there'll be thousands of acres just of cemeteries with headstones and concrete. I think the circle is turning back around to where it was 2,500 years ago here though.

• Advertisement

That’s my understanding

Citizens Information says
    Embalming is a specialised process involving the replacement of all body fluids with a substance designed to prevent the body from deteriorating. It is not strictly necessary, especially if the removal and funeral take place relatively quickly after death. About half of all bodies are embalmed.

So not law?

I'm going to be put up on a ditch as a winter habitat and food source under Glas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

The same acre has done our parish for over a thousand years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

The same acre has done our parish for over a thousand years.

New graveyard opened lately up near us.
    People were dying to get into it!

Danzy wrote: »
    I'm going to be put up on a ditch as a winter habitat and food source under Glas.

Birds feeding off your plums. Nice

Birds feeding off your plums. Nice

Sure the swallows might grow a winter plumage and stay for the winter

Danzy wrote: »

Just put a carpet over me and the knackery can take me :)

I know it means winter is on the way but I love autumn mornings in the fields :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

whelan2 wrote: »
    Just put a carpet over me and the knackery can take me :)

You better not die any time soon.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

I know it means winter is on the way but I love autumn mornings in the fields, with cows just appearing as you walk along :)

You cow looks like she is being sent down from heaven.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement