Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hay Shed Painting

• 13-09-2019 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice please.
    I have a 2 Bay Hay Shed with Lean To that hasn't been painted in a number of years. The last time it was done was probably 15 years ago by "travelling salesmen" so not even sure what paint they used but as you can see from the picture attached all the paint is now gone off it and although it looks very rusty the galvanize is still strong with no holes and I can walk on it.

Could you please advise me on best way to clean it (power washer, wire brush on angle grinder etc.) and how clean I would need to get it (back to bare metal) ?
    Whether I would need primer and what paint would be best to use ?
    Also what would be the best method for applying paint - corrugated roller, soft sweeping brush or ordinary brush ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The traveling salesmen are great men for thinning paint and whatever they use to thin it it will pull all coats paint over the years off the shed. I bought a barrel of it one time off an ad in the cork examiner and a man who definitely wasn’t a traveler delivered it. I wasn’t long finding out it’s origin though. The smell off it alone meant That I’d to abandon using it pure poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Sami23 wrote: »
    Looking for advice please.
    I have a 2 Bay Hay Shed with Lean To that hasn't been painted in a number of years. The last time it was done was probably 15 years ago by "travelling salesmen" so not even sure what paint they used but as you can see from the picture attached all the paint is now gone off it and although it looks very rusty the galvanize is still strong with no holes and I can walk on it.

Could you please advise me on best way to clean it (power washer, wire brush on angle grinder etc.) and how clean I would need to get it (back to bare metal) ?
    Whether I would need primer and what paint would be best to use ?
    Also what would be the best method for applying paint - corrugated roller, soft sweeping brush or ordinary brush ?

I seen a lad last year spend days with grinder and wire brush in similar state to urs , what ever paint he used the rust is up trough the paint , I assume he used a bad paint and not enough , I’d be using a good primer and give a few coats of shed paint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Contact Castle Paints, in Tullamore for advice on what to do, there shed paint is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Contact Castle Paints, in Tullamore for advice on what to do, there shed paint is good.

I dealt with Castle Paints the last twice that I got sheds painted, The last time they recommended a painter and he was very good but no matter who does the job their paint is very good.
    I used Travellers once for REPS and they did a good job that lasted 10 years, I then used the same ones again and it ended up in the gutters so that's the reason that I consulted Castle paints for advice.
    A Good strong power washer is sufficient, we had bad roofs here and I never used a primer and it lasted as long as on the good roofs
    For whatever reason the contractors using Castle paints put about half a litre of white spirits in the 20ltr drum of paint '' to stop it cracking'' both contractors did it, they were putting it through a sprayer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

wrangler wrote: »
    I dealt with Castle Paints the last twice that I got sheds painted, The last time they recommended a painter and he was very good but no matter who does the job their paint is very good.
    I used Travellers once for REPS and they did a good job that lasted 10 years, I then used the same ones again and it ended up in the gutters so that's the reason that I consulted Castle paints for advice.
    A Good strong power washer is sufficient, we had bad roofs here and I never used a primer and it lasted as long as on the good roofs
    For whatever reason the contractors using Castle paints put about half a litre of white spirits in the 20ltr drum of paint '' to stop it cracking'' both contractors did it, they were putting it through a sprayer

Thanks for the advice wrangler. So you don't think I would need a primer even though its quite rusty. The primer will double the cost of the job as its as expensive as the paint itself but would be worth it if it added years into the life of the job.

The other option would be to re-sheet it altogether and long term I know that will be required but funds are just not there for that at the moment so was hoping painting it will get me sorted for now but just don't want to put the work and money into painting it if it's gonna start flaking/cracking that's why I was asking for advice on what others have done in the past in similar circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

I would powerwasher it take ur time and do a right job on washing it
    Then paint it using a soft sweeping brush u could use a painting pole that extends just put few strong cable ties around the sweeping brush tis handy if u have a hard to reach spot
    Castle paint is great paint you would want at least 100 litres for roof that size

I would powerwasher it take ur time and do a right job on washing it
    Then paint it using a soft sweeping brush u could use a painting pole that extends just put few strong cable ties around the sweeping brush tis handy if u have a hard to reach spot
    Castle paint is great paint you would want at least 100 litres for roof that size

Yea have got good few suggestions of the soft sweeping brush alright. Any idea what those corrugated rollers would be like.
    Will I need to remove all the rust with power washer or just the surface/loose stuff I wonder and again would primer be a necessity?

Thanks for the advice wrangler. So you don't think I would need a primer even though its quite rusty. The primer will double the cost of the job as its as expensive as the paint itself but would be worth it if it added years into the life of the job.

The other option would be to re-sheet it altogether and long term I know that will be required but funds are just not there for that at the moment so was hoping painting it will get me sorted for now but just don't want to put the work and money into painting it if it's gonna start flaking/cracking that's why I was asking for advice on what others have done in the past in similar circumstances.

Primer is up to yourself, we live beside s tidy town so would have to keep it fresh, The last time I painted it was after 12 years and when I had it power washed I was sorry I had the paint bought as it looked alright after the washing
    We've sheds here that were built in the 1930s, Painted first time in the 1990s and never used a primer

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Yea have got good few suggestions of the soft sweeping brush alright. Any idea what those corrugated rollers would be like.
    Will I need to remove all the rust with power washer or just the surface/loose stuff I wonder and again would primer be a necessity?

The corrugated roller can be a pain if u need to put some paint in a corner of a sheet etc the brush will fill up any crack or in between two sheets and a sweeping brush is lot cheaper than a roller
    Try take off as much rust and grim as possible if stuff won't come off I won't worrie about it
    Never used a primer

• Advertisement

Power washer needs to be 3000psi +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I power-washed a four bay hayshed plus lean-to roof about six years ago.
    3000psi washer, did it slow and careful.
    Weather was exceptional, steel bone dry.
    Castle paints, added a litre white spirits per 20 litre drum, mixed with a whisk in a drill.
    Put on with a sweeping brush, didn't spare it.

Feckin rust coming through again...

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I power-washed a four bay hayshed plus lean-to roof about six years ago.
    3000psi washer, did it slow and careful.
    Weather was exceptional, steel bone dry.
    Castle paints, added a litre white spirits per 20 litre drum, mixed with a whisk in a drill.
    Put on with a sweeping brush, didn't spare it.

Feckin rust coming through again...

Wonder is it better sprayed on, there's bad roofs here and no rust after 12 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

wrangler wrote: »
    Wonder is it better sprayed on, there's bad roofs here and no rust after 12 years.

Get good paint on before the galvanise layer is gone.
    This shed was built in 1966, and is still rock solid, just the galvanise layer had gone thin.
    Probably should have got some kind of primer or rust neutraliser first.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Get good paint on before the galvanise layer is gone.
    This shed was built in 1966, and is still rock solid, just the galvanise layer had gone thin.
    Probably should have got some kind of primer or rust neutraliser first.

Galvanise will take off paint when it's good, galvanise in good condition has to washed and treated before painting other wise the paint won't stick, there's a special primer for fresh galvanise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Whatever you do, be careful. Too many lads seriously injured from shed roofs, and that’s before the deaths. Couple of lads dead this year falling off/through shed roofs.

Odelay wrote: »
    Whatever you do, be careful. Too many lads seriously injured from shed roofs, and that’s before the deaths. Couple of lads dead this year falling off/through shed roofs.

I've to take down a 60ft aerial off the cattle shed and 30ft aerial off the house.
    I can get a truck mounted cherry picker for €300 for the day, I'd be some fool to try it on ladders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

bought a 10l pressure pot lately for spray painting the new place. spraying water based paint at moment with it. doing a 7m x 5m walls and ceilings in 45 mins . took near3 hours to roller it

Going to chance painting the hay shed with the pressure pot next year after a good washing. I wash with the hotwash and when its fully washed I mix up a gallon of Milton into the last 50 litres of water and coat the shed quickly. it will keep stuff growing on the clean metal until painting

I use Fleetwood oxide here in 5 gallon drums . 8 years since I done the shed and its grand except the roof which I didn't wash at the time

10l Jefferson pressure pot is the set up

Going to chance painting the hay shed with the pressure pot next year after a good washing. I wash with the hotwash and when its fully washed I mix up a gallon of Milton into the last 50 litres of water and coat the shed quickly. it will keep stuff growing on the clean metal until painting

I use Fleetwood oxide here in 5 gallon drums . 8 years since I done the shed and its grand except the roof which I didn't wash at the time

Was the galvanise in good condition or rusty before you painted it and did you use a primer 1st

Was the galvanise in good condition or rusty before you painted it and did you use a primer 1st

bit of rust in places if im honest. No I just put it on with a brush and also corrugated roller. but if im spraying ill put on 2 coats as cant put on the paint as heavy.

Dad thinks we should be able to paint it twice in about 4 hours a coat out of a cherrypicker/teleporter basket

• Advertisement

bit of rust in places if im honest. No I just put it on with a brush and also corrugated roller. but if im spraying ill put on 2 coats as cant put on the paint as heavy.

Was it just the 1 coat you gave it and how did you find using the corrugated roller as a lot of people are recommending a soft sweeping brush for the job

Was it just the 1 coat you gave it and how did you find using the corrugated roller as a lot of people are recommending a soft sweeping brush for the job

yes i gave 1 coat but a good heavy coat. corrugated roller was ok, but like that I heard about the soft brush since and a lot cheaper also

my 2 bay shed used 3 x 5 gallon drums

Advertisement