Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge Cutting season apply to garden hedges?

Options
  • 22-08-2019 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

It seems like hedge Cutting season only applies to roadside hedges but surely should equally apply to garden hedges ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's an interesting topic. Obviously most domestic hedges are fairly lifeless but I have a nest or two in my Laurels which I only tend to see by chance - that said with a light trim they are safe enough. If you have a wild hedgerow as part of your property then the law does not apply presumably as it is considered "cultivated land"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Firstly it doesn't apply only to roadside hedges but to any hedges on uncultivated land, so off road hedgerows are covered. It does not apply to gardens. Garden hedges are usually just trimmed and not cut back hard like hedgerows.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

No, it doesn’t cover “cultivated” hedges meaning hedges planted within a garden can be cut at any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

_Brian wrote: »
    No, it doesn’t cover “cultivated” hedges meaning hedges planted within a garden can be cut at any time.

Typo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

So a light cut back is fine, makes sense. Need to cut back overgrown dense hedges alot at side of garden but was waiting until September. My partner was telling me I was being silly waiting but I don't want to take risk of decapitating any fledgelings. It's horrific when you think of it. I'd report anyone I caught hedge cutting out of season

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

seefin wrote: »
    So a light cut back is fine, makes sense. Need to cut back overgrown dense hedges alot at side of garden but was waiting until September. My partner was telling me I was being silly waiting but I don't want to take risk of decapitating any fledgelings. It's horrific when you think of it. I'd report anyone I caught hedge cutting out of season

The most common culprit is the local councils so the reports tend to fall on deaf ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The most common culprit is the local councils so the reports tend to fall on deaf ears.

The most common culprit is hedgecutting contractors- many people assume that when they see hedges being cut along roads that it is the council that engaged them. This is most certainly not always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

baaba maal wrote: »
    The most common culprit is hedgecutting contractors- many people assume that when they see hedges being cut along roads that it is the council that engaged them. This is most certainly not always the case.

That’s true, it could be someone like me who has got a threatening letter from the council telling me to get my roadside hedges cut ASAP as they are creating a hazard..

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Unless you have a huge garden, it's easy to check for nests. If you find one just leave that section uncut until the young have fledged.

Advertisement