Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supergrass Olympia/Belfast Ulster Hall 14/2 17/2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Standing for tonight available, €40

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lofidelity

Have you just one Wheety? When are planning on getting there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Lofidelity wrote: »
    Have you just one Wheety? When are planning on getting there?

I've replied to your pm. At the moment it looks like someone else is taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Tight as ****

Very tidy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

A bit underwhelmed, and I've seen them plenty of times before. Terrible sound with no bottom end at all, and they seemed to me to be going through the motions a little at times. Maybe it's just because it's early days back together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I loved it. Great to hear all the old tunes. Serious flashback to 25 years ago.

Amazing gig. Nostalgic and tight. Tomorrow will be amazing too. Enjoy

Hippo wrote: »
    A bit underwhelmed, and I've seen them plenty of times before. Terrible sound with no bottom end at all, and they seemed to me to be going through the motions a little at times. Maybe it's just because it's early days back together.

Mad that you thought that. Absolutely mad. Each to their own but I couldn't fault it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

the sound in the standing area can tend not to be great - circle sound was good imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

I was in the pit in front of Gaz and I thought the sound was good but not great. Vocals didn't seems to be coming through as loud as they should.

That being said, I really enjoyed it.

Was at their last Olympia set in 2004 where they threw on a couch for a part of the set.

Both great sets in their own way.

I was happy out.

Also announced an outdoor gig in dun laoighre which might interest some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

Mad that you thought that. Absolutely mad. Each to their own but I couldn't fault it

Sure, maybe I'm just getting (very) old. Danny had a great gig but Rob looked utterly bored. In fairness the sound ruined it for me, all that was clearly audible for most of it was guitar with some boxy-sounding drums in the background. I've always loved them live and they've written some of my all-time favourite songs so that probably increased my sense of disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah the sound wasn't great at the start in particular. Great gig though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

Hippo wrote: »

I got that vibe too ... it was a good gig, but not great. I thought the first half of the show was flat, picked up for the later stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Sorry to hear about the sound issues, lads. Hopefully all sorted for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sound was fine in the Circle. I really enjoyed it, they mostly stuck to the first 2 albums, Gaz seemed to be enjoying himself.
    I saw them when they were touring "I Should Coco" in the late, lamented Tivoli theatre. They were super-tight even then.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/supergrass/2020/olympia-theatre-dublin-ireland-3982197.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Really enjoyed and was thinking today how great it was to hear so much from I should coco. Gaz seemed to really enjoy himself and his guitars sounded so good. Vocals weren’t very clear and by the end my ears were bleeding.

Grew up listening to these guys so was a very special gig. I thought the crowd actually lacked energy, but maybe because everyone was my age, wanted to hear the songs, and go home .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Really enjoyed and was thinking today how great it was to hear so much from I should coco. Gaz seemed to really enjoy himself and his guitars sounded so good. Vocals weren’t very clear and by the end my ears were bleeding.

I felt the very same, but we were up in the nosebleed seats so I wondered whether that had any bearing on it. Unfortunately my friend got hit with the vomiting bug mid-gig and we had to leave before the encore. Pumping on your stereo was playing as we left. Anyone have the playlist so I can torture myself with what I missed :(

Might venture out to see them when they’re back in the summer.

Caught by the fuzz, Sitting up straight and Strange Ones was the encore. If that was my friend, I'd fecking kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Caught by the fuzz, Sitting up straight and Strange Ones was the encore. If that was my friend, I'd fecking kill him.

I'd be letting him off on his own!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I considered letting her head off on her own but couldn’t do it, she was so genuinely ill. Ah well, next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Anyone have the playlist so I can torture myself with what I missed :(

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/supergrass/2020/olympia-theatre-dublin-ireland-3982197.html

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »

A few changes last night but everything I wanted there. Great stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

If you bought it yesterday you could have got it signed by them in tower records ! :)

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    If you bought it yesterday you could have got it signed by them in tower records ! :)

Ah had no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Went to the Saturday gig, thought they were excellent. Incredibly tight, especially given they recently reformed, and Gaz's voice is still great. No issues with the sound either that I noticed.

Only downer was being stuck in the Upper Circle, not much atmosphere. It's definitely a gig for standing. The audience demographics might play a part too - lads of a certain vintage (like myself) aren't going to go mental from the first song...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

They were brilliant last night! Excellent gig.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I was standing downstairs. I also found the sound wasnt great. Sounds weird, but it was almost like it was too loud and the speakers were "peaking". Also annoyed me was there were ALOT of very drunk people. Falling around the place, having full on conversations at full volume (I know this happens at all gigs). Also, why do people feel the need to put their light on when recording a video on the phone? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

antodeco wrote: »
    Also, why do people feel the need to put their light on when recording a video on the phone? :mad:

they don't know how to turn it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

antodeco wrote: »
    I was standing downstairs. I also found the sound wasnt great. Sounds weird, but it was almost like it was too loud and the speakers were "peaking". Also annoyed me was there were ALOT of very drunk people. Falling around the place, having full on conversations at full volume (I know this happens at all gigs). Also, why do people feel the need to put their light on when recording a video on the phone? :mad:

Every time Irish people want to have a good time, ignorant arse Paddys **** it up.

Advertisement