Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending to the UK

Options
  • 13-02-2021 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Hi there

Cant find the answer anywhere - need to send a phone to the UK (Scotland to be exact) to a family member. An older iphone worth ±400-500.

I have spoken to one of the couriers and they recommended against sending altogether. I need to investigate more with DPD, UPS etc

My question is: if I send the phone and put a value on it - would I need to pay VAT/duties as I am not selling it - I am sending it to him and not selling it.

Has anybody sent anything recently and knows more about the actual process?

Any questions/advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Only real option at present is UPS "saver" - This goes by road and takes circa 3-5days.

Not a bad price - about €21 for a small package.

Up to you to declare what value the 2nd hand phone is. And remember the value is excluding vat. I'd avoid making it look too new, so plenty of grubby hand marks, use a small box and bubble wrap - not an original iphone box. A grade C iphone 7 is worth €120 - €150 as a "cash" price in a place like CEX and that can be used as a valid value.

https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_IE&appId=fctc

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

silver2020 wrote: »
    Only real option at present is UPS "saver" - This goes by road and takes circa 3-5days.

Up to you to declare what value the 2nd hand phone is. And remember the value is excluding vat. I'd avoid making it look too new, so plenty of grubby hand marks, use a small box and bubble wrap - not an original iphone box. A grade C iphone 7 is worth €120 - €150 as a "cash" price in a place like CEX and that can be used as a valid value.

Thanks - will need to look at that on Monday so. Absolutely annoying the hassle now

Thanks again

silver2020 wrote: »

Tried just now with UPS (DPD said everything is on hold and not shipping to thr UK) - if the declared value is 250EUR I would need to pay 50EUR in duties which is absolutely bonkers+shipping

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If you put that value on it, and it gets lost, that's what you will get back in a claim. If you put the correct value on it you will pay far more in taxes and charges.

og2k7 wrote: »
    Tried just now with UPS (DPD said everything is on hold and not shipping to thr UK) - if the declared value is 250EUR I would need to pay 50EUR in duties which is absolutely bonkers+shipping

zero duties.

It's simply UK vat which is 20%.

You can go with a low value but you would need to show where that value came from - so here's somewhere to get the info https://mobile4cash.ie/

Iphone7 or iphone8 16gb = €80, so €16 vat if the phone is one of those two

• Advertisement

What happens if you send in the post from NI?

What happens if you send in the post from NI?

Should be fine I'd say but i think i wont be sending anything for a good while

Thanks for all the responses guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Used TNT Express (which would normally be next day) to pick up a parcel from my parents in Wexford to send to me in the UK at the start of the month and it took 9 days to get here. Sat awaiting customs clearance for 7 of those days. I did try UPS originally but they missed the pickup 2 days in a row so thats why I used TNT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Comer1

Hope you don't mind me jumping into this thread rather than starting a new one. I want to send something to the UK for repair but am surprised to see, at the end of the booking process, UPS saying the receiver of the package will be liable for 20% of the value of the item? Seems mad when he is repairing it and sending it back to me. Why would he be liable for tax?

Also, do I put the three copies of the customs invoice into a little plastic sleeve attached to the package?

Comer1 wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me jumping into this thread rather than starting a new one. I want to send something to the UK for repair but am surprised to see, at the end of the booking process, UPS saying the receiver of the package will be liable for 20% of the value of the item? Seems mad when he is repairing it and sending it back to me. Why would he be liable for tax?

Also, do I put the three copies of the customs invoice into a little plastic sleeve attached to the package?

I was hoping this thread will be used for more cases to understand whats going on and options available

I was actually trying to do the same thing and get the old iPhone repaired but regardless of the gift or repair type there would be the fee. I have contacted apple and turned out there are issues with the old X and I have gotten a prepaid UPS package from them to be sent to Czech Rep.

DPD doesn't send anything, Irish parcels advise against sending and the only option at the moment is UPS, but the fees are exorbitant. The forms can be attached electronically from what i have seen (as i got as far as pay with PayPal) and populated all the required forms best to my knowledge - but decided against paying that much

Unless you are hard pressed I think noone wants to send anything to the UK at the moment

Oh and looking at the process i wouldn't be surprised if there were fees first outbound and then inbound

If you can fix it locally probably the best idea

Absolutely annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I was hoping this thread will be used for more cases to understand whats going on and options available

I was actually trying to do the same thing and get the old iPhone repaired but regardless of the gift or repair type there would be the fee. I have contacted apple and turned out there are issues with the old X and I have gotten a prepaid UPS package from them to be sent to Czech Rep.

DPD doesn't send anything, Irish parcels advise against sending and the only option at the moment is UPS, but the fees are exorbitant. The forms can be attached electronically from what i have seen (as i got as far as pay with PayPal) and populated all the required forms best to my knowledge - but decided against paying that much

Unless you are hard pressed I think noone wants to send anything to the UK at the moment

Oh and looking at the process i wouldn't be surprised if there were fees first outbound and then inbound

If you can fix it locally probably the best idea

Absolutely annoying
    I'm confused. Did you not say they had giving you a prepaid package?

DPD doesn't send anything, Irish parcels advise against sending and the only option at the moment is UPS, but the fees are exorbitant.

Not if you choose the correct service level - "World Saver" will come up when you enter address details. About €20 for a 1kg package to UK. (business address to business address)

You can choose "express" and the same package will cost €100 and get to the destination about 24 hours quicker

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I'm confused. Did you not say they had giving you a prepaid package?

sorry, used a shortcut. Thats after i said screw this i am not paying that much and ended up getting a pre-paid UPS package from Apple (as I started looking into the issue i have and product recalls)

Good spot though

Advertisement