Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain harrow

Options
  • 06-06-2020 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

My fields are after getting shocking rough. 3 years ago I would have been able to drive the car across most with ease but they’re more bumpy now. Cattle on later when it’s wet and hard summers. Going to roll when it rains (if) but will need to harrow some to knock lumps and bumps. My question is if it is good and healthy for pastures or would I be doing more harm than good? I’ve pastures in the LIPP which is over 40 years old. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

My fields are after getting shocking rough. 3 years ago I would have been able to drive the car across most with ease but they’re more bumpy now. Cattle on later when it’s wet and hard summers. Going to roll when it rains (if) but will need to harrow some to knock lumps and bumps. My question is if it is good and healthy for pastures or would I be doing more harm than good? I’ve pastures in the LIPP which is over 40 years old. Thanks

Chain harrows are great for land, spread dung heaps, years out dead grass at base. Often preferable to rolling. Great idea is if ground has a bit of bite in it is to chain harrows and roll with empty roller

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Who makes the best? Going to buy a set before summers end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Chain harrows are great for land, spread dung heaps, years out dead grass at base. Often preferable to rolling. Great idea is if ground has a bit of bite in it is to chain harrows and roll with empty roller

What do you mean a bit of bite Bass? Some lads say to harrow when the ground is hard, and others say to go when it’s a bit soft...

Memory - I bought a small chain harrow this year, more for pulling out moss than poaching. Happy enough with it so far, but will need to do the fields a few times I think to do a proper job...

What do you mean a bit of bite Bass? Some lads say to harrow when the ground is hard, and others say to go when it’s a bit soft...

Memory - I bought a small chain harrow this year, more for pulling out moss than poaching. Happy enough with it so far, but will need to do the fields a few times I think to do a proper job...
    If you want to level poached ground you want the ground in a way that the Harrow will wear into ground. If it too hard the Harrow will not level it, if it's too soft it will year it too muck. Rolling tend to seal and compact the top of the ground. If I was rolling ground in the spring I never put water in the roller. If you tear it with a CH and roll it after it comes back better

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Chain better than a tiny harrow ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I've a Ritchie chain harrow here bought it and a new Watson roller the same day the roller is in the shed since I bought it only used a few times. The only thing I'd say about a c harrow is buy one with rams forlifting tthe wings if you can get a slug pellet spreader to spread grass seed too that can be attached to it .

Stupid question but when is the best time to do it?

The ground determines it. I have done it in February and this year it was April.. As I said you need bite in the ground

Slava Ukrainii

The ground determines it. I have done it in February and this year it was April.. As I said you need bite in the ground

August to October ok?

August to October ok?

Ground heels best in the spring. Never really did it in the autumn but I imagine it's ok

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

slightly off topic I have a 5m hydraulic folding jarmet drag harrow the harrow parts are cast and have a handful to replace now

Can you buy a full new replacement "mat" and just put it on my frame? frame is perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Spring/autumn is the best and remember the slower the better using it. It was designed for a couple of horses pulling it over the ground nice and slow, not some twat making a tictok video bouncing all over the place.

The Jarmet seems to be very similar to the Ritchie. I see a good few have the harrowing frame connected to the frame with u bolts. Should I be nervous? I’d rather the older design.

Advertisement