Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sandwiches

• 05-06-2020 8:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭

The cost and quality of deli sandwich's is so wide. My pet hate is paying 4-5 for a roll where they put miserable portions on. I won't mention names but one outlet starting with s puts stuff on with scoops or individually puts on pieces of chicken. You ask them to put more on they say its extra.

Another branch beginning with C total opposite they put loads on and the cost is less. It doesn't matter where these two stores are located its obvious policy.

Another well known sandwich chain during the boom time beginning with O used to charge mad money for putting miserable portions on very run of the mile sandwich's.

I don't really buy as much rolls/sandwich's for lunch as i did but say the Pig and Heifer they charge around 5.5-8.5 but its good quality and there is alot in it.

My sister works in a deli and they don't scrimp. They make a stack of profit on rolls/sandwich's. Shops are making fortunes overcharging for sandwich's with nothing in them. I don't understand it as most won't go back. Deli beside me used to be good started getting mean on portions and the deli is now very quite.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

All depends on the managers I think. Some drill the idea of portion control into their staff and charge extra for any additions, the staff are whipped and have to comply. Others are not so bothered and it can be a free for all.

I remember a few years back in Supervalue Aston Quay there used to be a Portguese chick working there who had giant hands like shovels. If she was making your wrap you were in for some feed as she just loaded it up with abandon. Its hard to find good deli staff like that these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Matmania

That's totally correct about the manager. Some shops are told what to put on. One group of stores are the worse four letters. Total and utter rip off. I think the centra's are very good value for what you get.

Another new branch of sandwich bars there stuff mainly consists of lettuce. You want extra you have to pay. Just total padded sandwich's etc full of lettuce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Under the tree at....

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Ah, its good to see things getting back to normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,318 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Juniors in ballsbridge do an amazing sandwich with chargrilled chicken ...it is HUGE and delicious but not cheap.
    Those crappy chicken filler rolls from spar barely classify as food imo.

Them chicken fillets come from China and some other places...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

I used to work in the IFSC and the Fresh there did fantastic carvery rolls from the deli. The staff there packed them as full as they could. It felt like I was carrying a small dumbbell on the way back to the office.

Not sure if things have changed now.

I'm not really talking about chicken fillet rolls they are dirt in general. Just an sandwich/roll filled with stuff. Chicken fillet rolls are what they are. All sell them.

• Advertisement

And also i will happily pay for a decent sandwich just annoys me when your paying for nothing in the sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I'm no food snob, but much prefer spending a quid or two extra, and getting a properly nice sandwich from somewhere like Juniors, 147 Deli, Brother Hubbard etc.

I also don't mind paying extra for a good quality sandwich but there are places that charge when it is terrible portions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That place you mention beginning with O is some rip off

It is indeed. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ladystardust

Green door bakery in manor street dies a mean sambo. Always in fresh bread from the bakery...... man I miss that place.

I'd happily pay 7-9 euro for a decent sandwich that fills you. A certain place 7-8 euro gets you a miserable portioned sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Sandwiches are a tricky one from a retail perspective. No matter how good the ingredients used, they will always be capped on how much they can charge, because at the end of the day - it's still just a sandwich. If they go the cheap and cheerful route, and charge a set price for a low end product, they have to do a much larger turnover. The margins are generally really tight either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Chicken, stuffing and mayonnaise on brown bread with butter pre-packed sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Sandwich's what?

• Advertisement

That place you mention beginning with O is some rip off

Hand crafted sandwiches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

When I'm in work I just buy the ingredients on one weekly shop, store in work, freeze bread for each day and make my sandwiches (what are "sandwich's"?) there.

Can decide size and portion myself, saves queuing time and is tastier and a hell of a lot cheaper. Probably no more than €10 for the 5 day week.

Sandwich's what?
    Always one

As i said i don't eat much anymore and im not fat. Jesus this site.

Christ can you not start a thread without abuse. Bet if i have a go back a ban incoming. Terrible.

I going to say this the spelling police are the worst. I type very quick so could not care if i make mistake's. Look if that's all you got to say maybe don't say. That's why sites this end up going to crap. That's my last say on the matter. Petty stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Margins are not that great when everything is added.

Staff costs, wastage, and all the equipment is part of the calculation.

If you pass an aldi or lidl, their triple Deckers at about €2/2.30 are decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Matmania wrote: »
    Sandwich's what?
    Always one

Alway's

lol

• Advertisement

ok i get it

I spell and check everything i post sorry. Really sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Sp@r near me is gold, it’s expensive outside as a shop or supermarket outside of of the deli but the deli is the best anywhere. Ok I’d be a reasonably regularly customer, I’d get a sambo on my way into work if I don’t have stuff in the house so I’m not spending 15 minutes Qing and 10 minutes there and back at lunchtime. They literally have the bread at breaking point almost it’s so full of the freshest and most delicious ingredients and all the staff are super friendly and there are a very wide range of fillings.. all the usual cold meats.. ham, turkey, chicken, beef, corned beef, but hot spicy chicken, hot cooked beef, chicken fillets.. spicy, plain, pastrami, salami.... southwest sauce ( mmmmm ), chilli mayo, spicy mayo, regular mayo... awhhhhhmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Green Bench Cafe in Montague Street in Dublin 2 does a great sandwich and if I recall, the prices are very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I haven't been in Dublin quite some time, but the IFSC had a lovely lunchtime venue called the Pig and Heifer. They had a great Reuben sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭mickey15ie

Went to Lunch on Lombard street today. Great Sandwich, Steak sandwich with onion mushroom cheese and mustard, sweet potatoe fries on the side ......delish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I remember a few years back in Supervalue Aston Quay there used to be a Portguese chick working there who had giant hands like shovels. If she was making your wrap you were in for some feed as she just loaded it up with abandon. Its hard to find good deli staff like that these days.
    I remember her too. A chicken fillet roll with 2 salads for 3.50, filled to the brim.
    I went in there a few months ago and it was 5.00.
    I'm not paying that for a chicken fillet roll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Doughboys between Camden and Harcourt. Miss eating there when I worked in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ladystardust

I miss rashers burns. Best hangover sambos in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

Matmania wrote: »
    I'd happily pay 7-9 euro for a decent sandwich that fills you. A certain place 7-8 euro gets you a miserable portioned sandwich.

There's your problem right there. When entrepreneurs see people willing to pay 7-9 euro for a ****ing sandwich they know they can get away with anything.

There's your problem right there. When entrepreneurs see people willing to pay 7-9 euro for a ****ing sandwich they know they can get away with anything.

8 quid for a huge sandwich made with quality ingredients is far better value than paying almost a tenner for a Big Mac meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Those chicken fillets are actually made of minced up baby boy chicks and they all come from Yemen. FACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Yay a sandwich thread! Spreading the love to the rest of the country. Thread title updated. OP if you want a Dublin sandwich thread, please start it in the Dublin regional forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'd also happily pay $25 for a pastrami sandwich in NYC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

On a personal note im a big fan of Pig & Heifers Pastrami sandwich. Havent tried one in NYC to compare, but P&Hs offering well worth the money imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

A trick to getting a good roll or sandwich is simple, always head for the irish staff, and when she starts packing your roll/sandwich,
    Say to her, picture me (which is you) as your husband and I'm off to work today, give me sustenance to last the day. It works. I once walked out of a shop carrying a breakfast roll heavier than a brick. Oh some of the foreign staff always look after me when doing my rolls/sandwich. Maybe I have one of those loveable faces.
    Just one thing nobody commented on. If I was handed a scabby roll or sandwich or I thought I was overpriced I'd hand it back, ive done this a fair few times. Im the customer and its my money.

Sandwiches are a bit strange like that.
    Generally, unless you know the shop, you have no idea how much the sandwich will cost or how much will be in it until after it's made.

Different staff in the same shop can charge differently for the same sandwich, too.

Bit of a minefield.

I recently ordered a sandwich on brown bread, no butter, brown sauce, bacon and hash browns.

The server put one hash brown on one half and one rasher on the other half, put it together, sliced it, wrapped it and handed it to me.
    I was, literally, speechless and took the sandwich only to put it down on the nearest surface and leave the shop, never to order anything there ever again.

I know, I should have said something but I was hungry, distracted and not in the mood to train deli counter staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

The thing that gets me is when the vegan/veggie option isn't cheaper than the meat options. Surely it would cost less without the meat?

The thing that gets me is when the vegan/veggie option isn't cheaper than the meat options. Surely it would cost less without the meat?

A lot of deli meat would be barely human grade, so very cheap. Reformed chicken fillets, pink goo ham etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Well i'm cooking bacon ribs, and having them on a batch loaf sandwich. Which is a proper sandwich

• Advertisement
Advertisement