Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reddit has RES (Reddit Enhancement Suite). What would you like for boards.ie?

Options
  • 31-05-2020 10:08am

Not sure how many of ye use RES but it vastly improves the Reddit experience.

If someone, not saying me but maybe, decided to spend some time developing an open source extension for boards.ie, what would you like to see added to the site's functionality?

Some things of the top of my head would be neverending scrolling, notes on users, improved menus, and an ability to hide threads from appearing at all. Some of this would be a bit more challenging because there isn't an API provided but a lot would be fairly basic.

My reason for doing it would be continued personal development. I haven't really got any JS projects at the moment. I made the themes I have linked in my signature but you can do a hell of a lot more with JS.

Just seeing what interest there might be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Even with RES, Reddit is muck on a pc/browser IMO.
    Reddit mobile is a far smoother, polished and more engaging UI.

I use boards primarily on touch these days.
    Easy access to not just my posts, but who quotes me on touch would be nice.

Though just having the touch site working well consistently would be a start.
    I don't want boards to change it's implementation style to upvotes or similar.
    I just want the site to work consistently, to have some UI/Usability tweaks and I'd be quite a happy camper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

A search function that actually works would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Don’t want none of that rustling here this is the interface that time forgot. Let’s keep it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Notes on users: c*unt, gombeen, fascist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Less strict moderation. Think it turns a lot of people away from the site.

Having the prison forum open basically making fun of people really makes the site look non-professional in my opinion. Nearly want you to beg to get back onto the site.

With regards the UI it really needs a major overhaul. Its not the year 2000 anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Reddit lures you in with pictures of cats and before you know it your swallowing coloured pills and exposing yourself to all kinds of depravity. :)

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A website that can't even spell "Read It"? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Lundstram wrote: »
    A search function that actually works would be nice.

search works fine on boards, when its working at least

Advertisement