Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hemline_index

Options
  • 21-05-2020 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭

Having looked at the hemline index and tried to observe hemlines, it seems that hemlines have dropped almost to the floor quite suddenly.
    This would seek to indicate a recession. anyone else notice this? When did it start? Since no clothes shops are open are new low hemline outfits being bought online?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemline_index

The hemline index is a theory presented by economist George Taylor in 1926.[1][2]

The theory suggests that hemlines on women's dresses rise along with stock prices. In good economies, we get such results as miniskirts (as seen in the 1920s and the 1960s),[3] or in poor economic times, as shown by the 1929 Wall Street Crash, hems can drop almost overnight. Non-peer-reviewed research in 2010 supported the correlation, suggesting that "the economic cycle leads the hemline with about three years".[4]

Desmond Morris revisited the theory in his book Manwatching.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

I couldn't be arsed with women's hemlines. I have other things to be doing. Like trying to be first in every AH post and spending ages on AH giving out about women haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

And on the subject of spurious correlations
    us-crude-oil-imports-from-norway_drivers-killed-in-collision-with-railway-train.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I never knew hemlines was one word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

'My pajamas don't have a hemline" - Chantelle

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Women ordering online are way overestimating how tall they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Women ordering online are way overestimating how tall they are.

When did this start?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

When did this start?

3 inches ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

While taking my post-lunch constitutional yesterday I happened upon a middle-aged lady that I know quite well out painting her front wall in a pair of Daisy Duke shorties. I don't know much about hemlines and the stock market, but you'd be surprised who has a great pair of legs these days. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

3 inches ago.

That's skirting the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Having looked at the hemline index and tried to observe hemlines, it seems that hemlines have dropped almost to the floor quite suddenly.
    This would seek to indicate a recession. anyone else notice this? When did it start? Since no clothes shops are open are new low hemline outfits being bought online?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemline_index

The hemline index is a theory presented by economist George Taylor in 1926.[1][2]

The theory suggests that hemlines on women's dresses rise along with stock prices. In good economies, we get such results as miniskirts (as seen in the 1920s and the 1960s),[3] or in poor economic times, as shown by the 1929 Wall Street Crash, hems can drop almost overnight. Non-peer-reviewed research in 2010 supported the correlation, suggesting that "the economic cycle leads the hemline with about three years".[4]

Desmond Morris revisited the theory in his book Manwatching.

That is quite interesting. Sadly, because it is gendered and somewhat relates womens' sexuality to economical environments, it will never be peer reviewed, and anyone who touches the subject will be vilified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Another theory has been put forward to explain the current low hemlines. Whay, even on the hottest days of the years so far, are there women wearing ankle length skirts? The answer, apparently, is that due to covid-19 they can't get their legs waxed and don't want the fuzz to be seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Another theory has been put forward to explain the current low hemlines. Whay, even on the hottest days of the years so far, are there women wearing ankle length skirts? The answer, apparently, is that due to covid-19 they can't get their legs waxed and don't want the fuzz to be seen!

OP is there any correlation between the new hairy legs index you are proposing and the mens underwear index favoured by Alan Greenspan?

Are mens underwear less likely to be purchased when the hairy legs index is spiking?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_underwear_index#:~:text=The%20men's%20underwear%20index%20(MUI,times%20and%20sales%20remain%20stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

mikhail wrote: »
    And on the subject of spurious correlations
    us-crude-oil-imports-from-norway_drivers-killed-in-collision-with-railway-train.png

graph.png

The lack of pirate activity vs global temperature.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kowloon wrote: »
    graph.png

The lack of pirate activity vs global temperature.

Take a wild guess at where Somalia comes in on the per capita CO2 emissions table ;)

Advertisement