Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Separated Parents still see their Children?

Options
  • 24-03-2020 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

The UK government has confirmed that separated parents can still see their kids but I cannot see any official word here yet:
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-coronavirus-children-separated-parents-21743291

My solicitor confirmed that some are using COVID-19 as an excuse to break Court Orders and continue to alienate loving parents from their children.

If you are considering doing this I would urge you to consider the long term, in some cases irrevocable damage that can be done to children by having a loving parent taken away from them(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3YdldNXZnQ&t=52s)

Plus the damage to society as alienated children have a 96% probability of suffering mental health problems, are at increased risk of anti-social behaviour, increased promiscuity and teenage pregnancy and criminality.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

Moved to Separation and Divorce, local charter applies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I’ve opted not to until this whole thing is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

I’ve opted not to until this whole thing is over.

I live with my elderly parents while I get a new house. I voluntarily opted not to as well as she is thankfully understanding the issue. I am actually seeing them more now due to video conferencing them and not having to commute 3 hours a day during all this. It kills me that the situation is what it is but my kids need their grandparents as much as I do and I plan to keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

We have stopped visits for the safety of everybody but the birth mother is not allowing any phone calls or Facetime.

Claims it's too disruptive for the children.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭ElizaBennett

I'd appreciate any info on this too. It's so frustrating that there are no guidelines and no one's talking about it. How does it make sense to have children moving between two houses when we're all being told to stay in and only do essential food shopping etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭dubal

I go to see mine once a week, we just got for a walk. I was stopped by the policy each time, I explain the situation very briefly. They are always ok with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

dubal wrote: »
    I go to see mine once a week, we just got for a walk. I was stopped by the policy each time, I explain the situation very briefly. They are always ok with it.

if court ordered or by written agreement it would be best to carry the paperwork with you in case you are stopped.

Advertisement