Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The silent treatment or the big row...

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Big HUG
    I bought a "How to Hug" book once

turned out it was volume 12 of an encyclopaedia :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'm from the school of blow up a little easily and argue. If I care about the person though, I'm usually quick to take whatever blame is mine, apologize and forget about it.

While I know it's just a personality difference, the people I find most hard to deal with are those who are the opposite : people that withdraw/give you silent treatment, sulk and hold on to argument grudges interminably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The man goes to the dog house. I'm not sure where the woman goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Usually the big row followed by the silent treatment, in for a penny and all that.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Flinging the good china all over the place. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Ruu wrote: »

Isn't that what it's for?

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Ruu wrote: »

Some inspiration for your next fight

http://youtu.be/_P5uVK-0LSw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I get the loudest silent treatment in the fncking world. Three days of huffing and puffing and stomping around the place. Usually then a big row, a cooling period and then a calm discussion.

Depending how busy I am I might intervene in the silent treatment or leave him to it and get some reading and washing done :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

The man goes to the dog house. I'm not sure where the woman goes.

Shopping

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Post by rereg troll and response deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cerisepink

The silent treatment drives me crazy which then leads to the big row. I'd love to be able to give the silent treatment back but I just can't stay quite for that long when I'm angry or upset. So yeah I'd prefer to skip the silent treatment altogether and go straight to the big row!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I prefer a 'full and frank exchange of views'. Which doesn't necessarily have to be a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Both are bulls***

thread kinda reminds me why I'm happy to be single and drama free.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

Partner does this and I hate it (currently on day 5 over something ridiculous) I know it’s bothering him but he’s too stubborn to come to me and usually I give in and approach him but we had a discussion last time and he agreed we need to handle things by communicating better. Is fighting fire with fire the best approach here?? I’m giving up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

katie275 wrote: »
    Partner does this and I hate it (currently on day 5 over something ridiculous) I know it’s bothering him but he’s too stubborn to come to me and usually I give in and approach him but we had a discussion last time and he agreed we need to handle things by communicating better. Is fighting fire with fire the best approach here?? I’m giving up!!

Let him wait four years.

Silent treatment can be a symptom of an emotionally abusive relationship.
    I'll take the blazing row any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭gifted

Big blazing row.....but that could lasts for days as we both won't back down then it's the silent stage.....I wish I was capable of keeping my gob shut lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Think a lot of women like the big passionate argument with heightened emotions. They tend to be more comfortable and in touch with emotions anyway, so this approach works for them.

Dudes prefer to sulk for a while, to sleep on the argument, or to come back to it at another stage. Or just admit you’re wrong, buy some flowers and bath bombs, and promise never to do what you did again. While not fully understanding what you did, and not really listening anyway as she goes on and on about emotions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I prefer to get it over and done with. There is nothing like a great row to clear the decks. Love. Actually I'd row over nothing for the fun of it

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

In my previous relationship i was the silent type when arguing, this could last days. I now look back and can see i was stupid, stubborn and immature, it wasn't fair to her and if i could, i would apologies to her. It was wrong for so many reasons and i can see how my behavior affected our relationship. I am with my current partner i have gone full circle now to talking with her and if we have an argument, we talk about it, doesn't matter who is in the wrong, we get our point across and move on. What changed for me is i knew my behavior wasn't normal or fair and i wanted to change, it took me a while but life is so much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Rows are a good thing; as long as they are not constant.

The Silent Treatment is kinda childish but have been on the receiving end and have given same.

Above all though, never go to bed angry.

Advertisement