Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food at events?

Options
  • 10-10-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey all,

I'm doing some research on sports and nutrition and I was hoping you could help me! Basically I'm wondering what foods are available at these races before and after? Is there a focus on nutrition and recovery foods and fuels?

I've done up a quick survey. If you'd like to fill it in it would be greatly appreciated!
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JN7WTS6

Cheers,
    Laura

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Laura 25 wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm doing some research on sports and nutrition and I was hoping you could help me! Basically I'm wondering what foods are available at these races before and after? Is there a focus on nutrition and recovery foods and fuels?

I've done up a quick survey. If you'd like to fill it in it would be greatly appreciated!
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JN7WTS6

Cheers,
    Laura

What races? Context.

Triathlons? Short course? Long course?
    Duathlons? Same questions?
    Adventure racing? The fake WAR kind or the real kind?

Why would there be food before?

If you are concerned with sports nutrition why focus on before and after? What about during?

I'm not sure the questions you have in your survey are specific enough or phrased clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Laura 25

Thank you for your comments tunney

For clarification:
    What kind of races - I'm looking for information on adventure races similar to Gaelforce and Killarney Adventure Race (all distances), duathalons and triathalons of varying distances. I'm looking to gather as much information as possible across a range of races. So it's not so specific at this stage.

The reason I ask about before and after is because these are the main times available to provide for athletes. I understand there are also stages throughout the race at stations and this is also being looked into.

In your experience tunney, do you feel there is a demand for foods during specific races?

Laura 25 wrote: »
    Thank you for your comments tunney

For clarification:
    What kind of races - I'm looking for information on adventure races similar to Gaelforce and Killarney Adventure Race (all distances), duathalons and triathalons of varying distances. I'm looking to gather as much information as possible across a range of races. So it's not so specific at this stage.

The reason I ask about before and after is because these are the main times available to provide for athletes. I understand there are also stages throughout the race at stations and this is also being looked into.

In your experience tunney, do you feel there is a demand for foods during specific races?

I think you could get better information if you are more specific about races.

Break it down by distance and sport.

For Triathlon:
    Sprint distance (1-1.5 hours to complete)
    Standard distance (2-3.5 hours to complete)
    Half ironman distance (4-7 hours to complete)
    Ironman distance (9-15 hours to complete)

I know you say its "not specific at this stage". However you ask someone who only does sprint distances races and they will not see the point in food before/during or after a race. Ask someone who races ironman distance and they will expect well stocked aid stations during the race (probably passing 8 on the bike and 10 on the run) serving up all varieties of foods and drinks (energy drinks and gels, bananas, bars, on the bike. the same onthe run with the addition of flat coke, pretzels, cakes, fruit, cheese and more) They'd also expect a decent feed afterwards.

No one is going to eat before a race. Anyone who isn't completely clueless won't eat closer than 2 hours to a race.

After the race it comes down to a factor of distance and cost. If its a short races its not required or usually desired and then its a case of if they have to pay more for it they won't. After 15 hours on an IM course when you finish you need food.

Duathlons - the same.

Adventure "races" - who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

tunney wrote: »

As the resident grump I would have expected you to put the quotes in the correct place at least. The adventure may be questionable but in no way are they any less a race than your standard triathlon, there's just less emphasis on how the competitors look.

ThisRegard wrote: »

As the resident grump I would have expected you to put the quotes in the correct place at least. The adventure may be questionable but in no way are they any less a race than your standard triathlon, there's just less emphasis on how the competitors look.

Thanks for that. Had a bad day, needed that laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Thanks for that. Had a bad day, needed that laugh.

Ah don't be too down with yourself, Lance will release a statement soon reiterating the fact that he's clean and that everyone else are still liars despite what the USADA report says, and you'll see him once more bounding around in his speedos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

ARs - the multi day ones - anything goes. Go food and stop food. Go food is quick and easy. Squash sandwiches, cereal bars , oat cakes, jellies, nuts. Stop food (food in transition) can be anything from sandwiches to pizza or hot stew with strong coffee . Anything up to 5 hours and its a big breakfast and gels / bars during the race with a liquid carb drink. Post race? Tune up race - recovery protein/carb shake and a meal of similar proportions within the ffuelling iwndow. Post "A" race - beer burger and chocolate :-)

edit: unfortunately that's where this ends. good luck with the research. feel free to remain a part of boards and contribute to the forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement