Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosses Point Triathlon

Options
  • 31-07-2012 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Just wondering if anyone is doing this race at the weekend?

I'm in for the Olympic.

Anyone know what the bike course is like? Is it more suited to a road or TT bike?

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

TT.

There is a bit of technical cycling once you turn up by Cregg House and across the back roads its a bit lumpy but plenty of long flat sections to drop that hammer along the Prom sections.

x3 loops as far as I know.

Worst part of the whole thing is the run up from the water exit and trying to get the wobbly legs working on the bike exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

This is a fantastic race. Great location and really well organised. I'd highly recommend it if people are looking for a race in the West next year.

Not sure there were many boardsies there. I did meet amphkingwest and his support crew :)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭cuculainn

I know i am digging up an old tread, but i am looking at this for my first olympic this year....what is the swim like....I always imagine rosses point as rough seas....which would make me reconsider (i know anywhere can be rough depending on weather), but in general is the swim doable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

cuculainn wrote: »
    I know i am digging up an old tread, but i am looking at this for my first olympic this year....what is the swim like....I always imagine rosses point as rough seas....which would make me reconsider (i know anywhere can be rough depending on weather), but in general is the swim doable?

Seas at the Point are actually quite calm where the swim takes place. The 2nd beach is sheltered by the headland at Lissadell. If its stormy, yes there'll be swell but probably one of the few locations where I've yet to see a swim shortened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Real shame it's on the same weekend as HOTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

The Olympic is on the BH weekend , not sure if the sprint is going ahead this year as some crazy race planning at TI HQ put this excellent race up against the HOTW.
    Great race and location thou, well worth a weekend trip .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

not sure if the sprint is going ahead this year

ah bugger, i was just going through all the local sprints and this was high on the list,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The Quiet Man is on the same weekend also. So 2 sprints on in Connacht the same weekend as the Olynpic Nation Champs. Great planning.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

Sligo Town has the fleadh cheoil from the 10th to the 17th of August .. this has limited the dates any big sporting event can be organised in Sligo .. a few other events have had to be moved because of it!

it seems craic agus ceol is more important than Swim agus bike agus run!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Both Rosses Point races are going ahead

Olympic Race
    We actually applied for our Olympic on the 14th of June but MSC sailing club were asked to move to accommodate some national series races somewhere else on the 21st. So we were booted of the 14th. We then tried to move to August 10 or 17th but the Fleah is on and we wont get permission. The new date is going to be ratified at our club meeting on Wednesday but more than likely end of August or September. Its not easy with all the local races

Sprint Race

We seem to have lost our regular berth on the bank holiday weekend in August that we have run our race for five years. The Connacht and Ulster sprint champs are on the same day so it would be unfair on our members asking them to miss out. It would also be our catchment area so we would probably lose big numbers. Therefore we changed to Sunday the 28th of June as only a handfull of the more experienced club members will hit Killkee.

Its a pity but 95% of our race entries wont be in Clare and the majority rules.

• Advertisement

hey p2c.. looking like il be going to rosses point at the weekend.. where does the bike route go, i have a very bike nervous better half and she wants to drive it to see what its like ..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

woody1 wrote: »
    hey p2c.. looking like il be going to rosses point at the weekend.. where does the bike route go, i have a very bike nervous better half and she wants to drive it to see what its like ..

I thought she was doing Cong?

yeah :o so did i, changed her mind, as they are prone to do..
    havent entered either yet thank god..

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Boardcore

HeyWoody1,

Tried to post a link to the mapmyrun course but it won't let me.
    Search for 'Rosses Point Sprint' or route '451660866' , I've made one public on mapmyrun.

The majority of the course is on the main sligo to rosses point road, so you will travel on it on the way to rosses point, which has a cycle lane (kinda) for the majority. The detour from the main road comes after 3/4km from transition, you take a left turn and climb for 400m. You will now follow the road undulating for 4kms keeping right at 2 T-junctions, straight through a cross roads until you rejoin the main road at the base of a descent(neutral zone), sharp right turn then a left onto the main road. The road surface for the 4/5 km ain't great but nothing major to worry about apart from a bone shaking.

Once you take the left onto the main road heading for Sligo, you have 1km to the turnaround at the pedestrian crossing at the top of cartron hill. From here it's an 8km blast straight back to Rosses Point.

Enjoy your race .

Just back from a swim out in the Point ... the water was beautiful .. I hope its like that on Sun ..so calm, nice and warm .. getting excited already!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

any date on the other race? looking for some end of season races

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭cuculainn

mossym wrote: »
    any date on the other race? looking for some end of season races

Me too want to do an Olympic before the winter!!

Hey Mossy,

No Olympic this year, the proposed date of the 16th cannot be supported by the local services due to the fleadh. All the other weekends around this time, have some local sporting events already in-situ and we don't want to detract from their support.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Boardcore wrote: »
    Hey Mossy,

No Olympic this year, the proposed date of the 16th cannot be supported by the local services due to the fleadh. All the other weekends around this time, have some local sporting events already in-situ and we don't want to detract from their support.

cheers for the update. pity that

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

Shame indeed. Had heard rumours that the Olympic wasn't happening. Pity as it was pencilled in for my birthday and would have been nice thing to do especially as there'd be no travelling involved.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Heres a video of the cycle course - 18km in 3 minutes - it's a bit of a blur but you get the idea.

Enjoy,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

http://chipit.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Sligo-triathlon-results.pdf

Results from today I believe everything went off very smoothly in nice conditions for 150 competitors.

Fantastic race and what a day for it!

savage day lads.. couldnt have been happier to see a lovely calm sea and sunshine.. very well run well done to ye

Advertisement