Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company paying for membership? Any tax advantage?

Options
  • 16-12-2015 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of joining a commercially run golf club i.e. it's not a members "club", it's run by a Limited company who charge annual fee's to members I guess in the same way gyms do.

Is there any advantage to having my company pay the annual sub? I assume the sub is considered Benefit In Kind and therefore taxable as income (and netted off my monthly salary?) but perhaps the VAT element of the fee could be reclaimed by the company and not form part of the BIK calculation?

Is there any other reason or advantage for having the company pay the annual sub?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Hi all,

I'm thinking of joining a commercially run golf club i.e. it's not a members "club", it's run by a Limited company who charge annual fee's to members I guess in the same way gyms do.

Is there any advantage to having my company pay the annual sub? I assume the sub is considered Benefit In Kind and therefore taxable as income (and netted off my monthly salary?) but perhaps the VAT element of the fee could be reclaimed by the company and not form part of the BIK calculation?

Is there any other reason or advantage for having the company pay the annual sub?

I don't think VAT is reclaimable in those circumstances. It's not wholly and necessarily for the purposes of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

I don't think VAT is reclaimable in those circumstances. It's not wholly and necessarily for the purposes of the business.

Hi CMOTDibbler, thanks for the response, I was afraid that might be the case :(

Thanks also for your input on the other thread I started a couple of weeks ago. I see it's gotten sidetracked with a discussion about course reviews etc but prior to that I got a lot of good info and I'm close to making a decision as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Hi CMOTDibbler, thanks for the response, I was afraid that might be the case :(

Thanks also for your input on the other thread I started a couple of weeks ago. I see it's gotten sidetracked with a discussion about course reviews etc but prior to that I got a lot of good info and I'm close to making a decision as a result.
    You're welcome. Sorry for being the bringer of bad tidings.

Good luck with your decision.

Advertisement