Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sandwiches

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Kylta wrote: »
    A trick to getting a good roll or sandwich is simple, always head for the irish staff, and when she starts packing your roll/sandwich,
    Say to her, picture me (which is you) as your husband and I'm off to work today, give me sustenance to last the day. It works. I once walked out of a shop carrying a breakfast roll heavier than a brick. Oh some of the foreign staff always look after me when doing my rolls/sandwich. Maybe I have one of those loveable faces.
    Just one thing nobody commented on. If I was handed a scabby roll or sandwich or I thought I was overpriced I'd hand it back, ive done this a fair few times. Im the customer and its my money.

What if she had a flaming argument that morning? :D

I fully agree, if it's scabby and overpriced, leave it on the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

A trick to getting a good roll or sandwich is simple, always head for the irish staff, and when she starts packing your roll/sandwich,
    Say to her, picture me (which is you) as your husband and I'm off to work today, give me sustenance to last the day. It works. I once walked out of a shop carrying a breakfast roll heavier than a brick. Oh some of the foreign staff always look after me when doing my rolls/sandwich. Maybe I have one of those loveable faces.
    Just one thing nobody commented on. If I was handed a scabby roll or sandwich or I thought I was overpriced I'd hand it back, ive done this a fair few times. Im the customer and its my money.

We can't call out spar from making a bit of a crap sandwich sometimes, but a bit of casual racism and sexism is ok?
    I don't mind any of it btw - just want to know the rules!

But yes - I am not paying for a crappy sandwich or I will ask for more filling. Usually if its asked for nicely you don't get charged extra. Some of the places tho - the ingredients are that crap its worth having one with less in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Sandwiches are a bit strange like that.
    Generally, unless you know the shop, you have no idea how much the sandwich will cost or how much will be in it until after it's made.

Different staff in the same shop can charge differently for the same sandwich, too.

Bit of a minefield.

Try supervalu in town - they charge by the weight - not seen that anywhere else.

I guess like for like its fair - i.e. a small tuna sandwich is cheaper than a large tuna sandwich.

But a ham sandwich is cheaper that a cheese sandwich.. wtf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Darc19 wrote: »
    I fully agree, if it's scabby and overpriced, leave it on the counter.

No no point behind the sandwich maker to encourage her/him to turn around momentarily then with all your might throw the freshly made roll straight at their head.

Then you say try again and this time get it right. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Lucky feckers!
    I live in Spain and you just can't get a decent sandwich - delis don't exist here ... literally, well unless you want hard bread with that chorizo ****e they like ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lucky feckers!
    I live in Spain and you just can't get a decent sandwich - delis don't exist here ... literally, well unless you want hard bread with that chorizo ****e they like ...

I have never, ever heard someone lament and pine for an Irish"deli" counter!
    Does not compute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You generally get huge variation. One thing that annoyed me was places that were expensive often made the meanest sambo's. One thing that annoyed me is the veg the fact that some shops charge extra for each one. Or if you wanted a smear of way mayo on you sambo it was extra. The other pet hate was dried out hot foods. However massive margin on deli food even after costs

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Hiitsme

I would do the same. I handed back a roll once and would do the same again if not satisfied. I was polite, of course, but the staff member just stared at me open-mouthed as if it was my obligation to purchase her thrown together, scabby effort. If more people did the same the shop would soon get the message and provide a quality product to the customer's satisfaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Spanish bread is amazing.

Where I live you can't get batch or soda bread which sucks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Well i'm cooking bacon ribs, and having them on a batch loaf sandwich. Which is a proper sandwich

With the batch heel?

homer-drooling-01.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

With the batch heel?

homer-drooling-01.gif

That will be the picture of me in about 40mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That will be the picture of me in about 40mins.

Wish someone would invent a batch loaf that is all heels.

Wish someone would invent a batch loaf that is all heels.

Next time you get sandwich in shop asked for the batch heels. Ive often had a (sambo, don't if you allowed that word now) sandwich with a white batch heel and a brown batch heel. I bet your thinking if I only had bacon ribs and batch, I'd sitting there like homer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

When I worked in town I used to love the pig and heffer just around from Camden st for a huge sandwich,lots of different bread and plenty of filling, pricey but totally worth it! Also loved munchies off grafton st, not sure if it's still there....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

OP, maybe its nostalgia deceiving me but I have very different memories of the O brand you mention during boom time. I used to go to their shop at the top of Harcourt St every day and the sandwich was huge, big doorstep bread packed with stuff (chicken mayo toastie was my personal favourite), Id nearly need a nap after. Now I avoid their shops - thin bread, miserable fillings with a skin on them in the bowl where they havent been rotated overnght. Rotten stuff, and I need to eat again an hour later. They also seem to covet napkins like they're made of precious metal, and their cups and teapots are usually dirty and chipped. Depressing stuff altogether.

+1 for the people who mentioned Juniors (chargrilled chicken is very good) and Pig & Heifer (rare roast beef, horseradish and blue cheese).

The best sandwich shop for flavour is BG Cafe on Pearse St D2 in my opinion. If only they were about 40% bigger they'd be perfect.

Minetta deli in Sutton do an amazing crab toasted sandwich if you're feeling fancy. Bring a flask of your own tay to keep notions in check.

If its quantity you're after, the Baxter and Greene in Dunnes Stephens Green does really nice and huge sandwiches for 4.50 to 5.50 that would fill Andre The Giant.

The perfect toasted sandwich was in the student cafe in UL circa 2000. Thick bread and lovely roast ham, pressed in a panini grill until it was huge, flat and crispy. The lady that worked there was missing the ends of two middle fingers that left trail marks in the butter as she made it, but if you could free your mind from that you were in for a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Traditional : Long Valley - it's an institution but, like most, the generosity is very dependent on who makes it.

Fancy : Sandwich stall in the English market. Expensive but great ingredients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

A lot of deli meat would be barely human grade, so very cheap. Reformed chicken fillets, pink goo ham etc.

Meat “slurry”, J.

“Connective tissue”, eyelids and scrotum. That’s the best you’re getting in one if those rolls/sandwiches.

Not “knocking” the taste, or value, but those are the facts.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Hiitsme

Muahahaha wrote: »
    All depends on the managers I think. Some drill the idea of portion control into their staff and charge extra for any additions, the staff are whipped and have to comply. Others are not so bothered and it can be a free for all.

I remember a few years back in Supervalue Aston Quay there used to be a Portguese chick working there who had giant hands like shovels. If she was making your wrap you were in for some feed as she just loaded it up with abandon. Its hard to find good deli staff like that these days.

Never thought of that lol ... small hands, small portions! When I worked in fast food you could always tell the hungry people, young lads mostly. I would cram as many chips into the box as I could, give them the biggest burger, throw in a few extra chicken nuggets/onions rings. They were always appreciative and you get the customers back ... it's good business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

The Pig and Heifer can’t get enough shout outs. Their Rueben sets the benchmark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

centra and spar both poor. O'Briens terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Juniors do an overrrated sandwich in my opinion. Plenty in it, sure, but not very flavourful.

Far prefer the beef sandwich from Lotts just around the corner.

Donnybrook Fair do some nice sandwiches too.

The delis in various shops vary wildly from one place to the next. Used to like the one in Spar East Wall. The girls who worked there knew what they were doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sandwiches are a tricky one from a retail perspective. No matter how good the ingredients used, they will always be capped on how much they can charge, because at the end of the day - it's still just a sandwich. If they go the cheap and cheerful route, and charge a set price for a low end product, they have to do a much larger turnover. The margins are generally really tight either way.

I would have thought the margins on deli food are excellent, those reformed chicken fillets they are using are imported from Vietnam/China, they only cost about 20 cents a portion from wholesalers like Pallas foods. Cost price of a chicken fillet roll is barely 50 cents which translates to 4 euro at the till. The deli and coffee stations in shops are whats keeping them afloat, its the stuff on the shelves that have tiny margins.
    Ush1 wrote: »
    Doughboys between Camden and Harcourt. Miss eating there when I worked in town.

Yeah the meatball sub in Doughboys is absolutely divine. In fact the Camden/Harcourt area of Dublin must be the best place to get a sandwich in the city, you've got Brother Hubbard, the Green Bench and Doughboys all within a stones throw of each other, its like some kind of gourmet sandwich triangle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,288 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

8 quid for a huge sandwich made with quality ingredients is far better value than paying almost a tenner for a Big Mac meal.

Throw €2 more at it and have a proper roast beef lunch.

Throw €2 more at it and have a proper roast beef lunch.

Ive time for both but i) I dont know anywhere in Dublin with a carvery for a tenner, and ii) most roast beef lunches are dry as fcuk. The Ferryman used to be a notable exception on the latter, must check it again soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Ive time for both but i) I dont know anywhere in Dublin with a carvery for a tenner, and ii) most roast beef lunches are dry as fcuk. The Ferryman used to be a notable exception on the latter, must check it again soon

Diceys have a half decent one for well under a tenner

I havent been in it in a few years but in the Duke just off Grafton Street ask for a half portion of their carvery. It just comes on a normal sized plate that you'd have at home rather than the giant sized oval ones used for the full sized portion. Last time I was in it was 8 euro for a half portion of roast beef, it was still two good sized slices and all the veg, spuds, stuffing and gravy you want. I think O'Neills in Suffolk Street might also do half portions if you ask, not sure what price they are though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Perhaps a carvery thread is in order....

That's one thing the brits blow us out of the water at and it's a carvery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,809 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

s8n wrote: »
    centra and spar both poor. O'Briens terrible

Never been a fan of O’Briens, Centra, bit of a lottery depends on which one, Spar, usually grand, The one in Northwood in Dublin has a killer delicious deli, if slightly on the pricy side but the sambos, rolls and salad boxes are stuffed, you pay extra but you get what you pay for... hot counter is great too, baked potatoes are yumm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

im weird with food and dont really eat meat but my favourite sandwich in the world was in a deli in the basement of an office block in sydney australia, i still think of it now, i got it every weekday for three months and would love one right now.

fresh turkish bread, the ripest most perfect mashed avocado (prefect every time) big slices of plump juicy fresh tomatos (none of those horrible hard ones that taste like green like you get here), diced red onion, fresh mozzarella, slightly warmed and a little bit of black pepper. super simple, some would say bland and boring but my mouth is watering for one. and on fridays I would get a little carton of "hot chips" on the side.

that sandwich has never been bettered for me, ill go to my grave thinking of it.

I wonder is the deli still there, not even sure if id find it again, it was a good few years since i was living in oz.

sigh........

edited to say, by a green tasting tomato, i mean those ones that taste like the inside of a green house, green is the closest adjective I can think of, sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

One thing I always found strange about this type of comment is all these shops are privately owned not by the franchises themselves. Sp@r down the road from me is owned by a neighbour. Sp@r themselves have nothing to do with how he makes his sandwiches. Blame the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Why does everything have to be hipsterised? A sandwich, and burger for that matter, is supposed to be hand-held fast food, not some culinary farce that requires a selection of cutlery to deconstruct.

Why does everything have to be hipsterised? A sandwich, and burger for that matter, is supposed to be hand-held fast food, not some culinary farce that requires a selection of cutlery to deconstruct.

but why cant people have things they enjoy that taste good? not seeing mention of any "hipsterisation", just good sandwiches. Don't think any that have been mentioned have required a knife and fork either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,809 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I havent been in it in a few years but in the Duke just off Grafton Street ask for a half portion of their carvery. It just comes on a normal sized plate that you'd have at home rather than the giant sized oval ones used for the full sized portion. Last time I was in it was 8 euro for a half portion of roast beef, it was still two good sized slices and all the veg, spuds, stuffing and gravy you want. I think O'Neills in Suffolk Street might also do half portions if you ask, not sure what price they are though.

O’Neills carvery is unreal, corned beef is especially fabulous , but everything is.

greenttc wrote: »
    im weird with food and dont really eat meat but my favourite sandwich in the world was in a deli in the basement of an office block in sydney australia, i still think of it now, i got it every weekday for three months and would love one right now.

Sydney has to be one of the best cities in the world for food. Where I lived there we had a selection of over 20 different ethnic restaurants within a few hundred metres of the house. You could get everything from Thai to Indian to Turkish for $5 or $6. The basement food court in Chinatown just off Georges St was great too, would get a great feed in there for just a few dollars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Sydney has to be one of the best cities in the world for food. Where I lived there we had a selection of over 20 different ethnic restaurants within a few hundred metres of the house. You could get everything from Thai to Indian to Turkish for $5 or $6. The basement food court in Chinatown just off Georges St was great too, would get a great feed in there for just a few dollars.

I worked in redfern in Sydney and there were several shops doing roast on a fresh chewy roll.
    Love roast on a roll but it’s not too widespread in Dublin which I find odd and if it’s available its almost certainly in a poxy baguette. I hate the cuisine de France Stuff I’m just old enough to remember that shops Used to get fresh rolls delivered and different shops had different types of roll. Now it’s just bland baguettes as far as the eye can see.

salmocab wrote: »
    . I hate the cuisine de France Stuff I’m just old enough to remember that shops Used to get fresh rolls delivered and different shops had different types of roll. Now it’s just bland baguettes as far as the eye can see.

Yes, agree with this 100% our bread selection has gone way downhill in the past two decades or so. When I was in secondary school the corner shop across the road did lovely fresh chewy rolls, big fat batons, they were 30p each buttered. We would get a roll and a pack of crisps to make big crisp sandwiches, delicious! might have been our bus fare spent and the lunch our mothers made discarded but we didnt care!

up north they still have great bakeries with fresh breads being made, its such a pity we have lost our diversity down here.

as for sydney, the range of food was phenomenal, i lived up near chinatown too, now that was real chinese food and it was sooo good. why has ireland gotten so bad and so "the same" everywhere.

Turkish bread was just gorgeous in sydney, never had bread like it since. it really is all about quality of ingredients when it comes to sandwiches for me. if you have excellent ingredients even the simplest of sandwiches can be amazing

Yeah a proper Berlin kebab place would clean up in Dublin. Even a vegan one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

greenttc wrote: »
    Turkish bread was just gorgeous in sydney, never had bread like it since. it really is all about quality of ingredients when it comes to sandwiches for me. if you have excellent ingredients even the simplest of sandwiches can be amazing

Think in Sydney the Lebanese bakeries were great

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    That's one thing the brits blow us out of the water at and it's a carvery.

Last time I travel around britian from wales to cornwall to scotland. Albeit I only travelled to scotland for a morning. I found that you don't get real potatoes in the dinners, its that smashed sh!te, they served. I wouldn't recommend there carvey, on the way home I got off the ferry in belfast, and got a proper carvery in delvin. Best bit of scrawn after being travelling around britian for the best part of a month

Last time I travel around britian from wales to cornwall to scotland. Albeit I only travelled to scotland for a morning. I found that you don't get real potatoes in the dinners, its that smashed sh!te, they served. I wouldn't recommend there carvey, on the way home I got off the ferry in belfast, and got a proper carvery in delvin. Best bit of scrawn after being travelling around britian for the best part of a month

Depends where you go I'd guess. So many chains it's hard to tell but every spud I have is real and the beef is always pink.

2 courses £20, job done.

Kala-Sunday-roast.jpg

salmocab wrote: »
    I worked in redfern in Sydney and there were several shops doing roast on a fresh chewy roll.
    Love roast on a roll but it’s not too widespread in Dublin which I find odd and if it’s available its almost certainly in a poxy baguette. I hate the cuisine de France Stuff I’m just old enough to remember that shops Used to get fresh rolls delivered and different shops had different types of roll. Now it’s just bland baguettes as far as the eye can see.

A couple of years ago there was a place just off Grafton Street, I think it was called Meat & Meet (or vice versa). Amazing porchetta sandwiches, juicy pork, soft fat and crispy cracking, with some nice pickled vegetables and sauce. It closed despite my best efforts to keep it going.

Depends where you go I'd guess. So many chains it's hard to tell but every spud I have is real and the beef is always pink.

2 courses £20, job done.

Kala-Sunday-roast.jpg

Looks great, and not too dissimilar from what the FX Buckleys restaurants turn out on Sundays. The Old Spot around Bath Avenue does similar, maybe even better.

Funny looking sandwich but :)

Gentle reminder lets stay on topic lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Matmania wrote: »
    Sandwich's what?
    Always one

Obviously not a Dub, when you don't get the lingo what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yeah a proper Berlin kebab place would clean up in Dublin. Even a vegan one

I read recently One of the German kebab chains are planning to open in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Homelander

Subway do great sandwiches. Meat portion isn't big but when you combine the meat with cheese and the fact the bread's designed to hold maximum quantity of veg....you end up with absolute monsters, especially after 5pm when you can get a footlong for €5. I always get a double portion of the lettuce/onion/pepper/jalapeno, they'd nearly be struggling to close it.

Supersubs in Supermac's is very decent as well. Smaller portion than Subway, but tastier.

Looks great, and not too dissimilar from what the FX Buckleys restaurants turn out on Sundays. The Old Spot around Bath Avenue does similar, maybe even better.

That is very pink looking meat. The rest of the food does look great. I remember going to the FX Buckleys over Ryan's one very snowy Christmas and had a gorgeous steak. It was median rare but not bloody, a bit pink but not very. Great pub too.

Homelander wrote: »
    Subway do great sandwiches. Meat portion isn't big but when you combine the meat with cheese and the fact the bread's designed to hold maximum quantity of veg....you end up with absolute monsters, especially after 5pm when you can get a footlong for €5. I always get a double portion of the lettuce/onion/pepper/jalapeno, they'd nearly be struggling to close it.

Supersubs in Supermac's is very decent as well. Smaller portion than Subway, but tastier.

I like the idea of subway more than the execution. Its all a bit tasteless, and the meat is utter sh1te.

Though when i was younger, Id often buy a meatball sub in the afternoon and let it go cold. When I came in after a wallop of pints Id warm it up in the George Foreman and eat with a box of curry chips procured along the way. Id be more of a serrano ham and goats cheese man now, but fond memories.

Avoca do a mean ham and cheese sambo as well.

My colleagues said i was mad going there to get such a basic sandwich, but the ham is amazing, as is the bread - and that, a can and some crisps is around €8 so not too bad.

Ham, Swiss, Onion Marmalade on one half, butter on the other, white crusty bread (fyi).

• Advertisement
Advertisement