Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Home Hub £99 - GHome £79 - GH Mini £29 - GH Max £349 - Nest Thermostat £179

• 22-11-2018 11:37am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lots of Google devices reduced on the Google UK play store:

https://store.google.com/gb/?hl=en-GB&countryRedirect=true

Others like Chromecasts, Chrome Books, Pixel phones, Nest cameras too.

The Google Homes are very good IMO. Just ordered a GH Hub :D

Comments

Was waiting for the Home Hub to drop in price. Ordered it this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Basil3 wrote: »
    Was waiting for the Home Hub to drop in price. Ordered it this morning.

How would the hub be in sound quality compared with the regular Google home does anyone know?

Tempted to move my Google home into my bedroom, and replace it with the hub, which i would intend using as my main Audio source (and the digital photo frame would be nice touch)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

How would the hub be in sound quality compared with the regular Google home does anyone know?

Tempted to move my Google home into my bedroom, and replace it with the hub, which i would intend using as my main Audio source (and the digital photo frame would be nice touch)

Reviews seem to suggest that is better then the mini, but not quite as good as the full size home. It doesn't quiet have the same bass as the home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

bk wrote: »
    Reviews seem to suggest that is better then the mini, but not quiet as good as the full size home. It doesn't quiet have the same base as the home.

Yeah, this is my concern too, I don't want to downgrade on sound so will skip this lad and wait for the Hub V.2 with better sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

slave1 wrote: »
    Yeah, this is my concern too, I don't want to downgrade on sound so will skip this lad and wait for the Hub V.2 with better sound

This LG ThinQ WK7 could be a good alternative, the review on what Hi-Fi is pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

Reviews seem to suggest that is better then the mini, but not quiet as good as the full size home. It doesn't quiet have the same base as the home.

Is this a pun, or can you just not spell?

Back to topic, any budget two driver bluetooth speaker like the Anker Soundcore will sound better than the mini, home or hub.
    I wouldn't use any of the Google smart speakers for music besides the Max.

God forbid someone might get there u and i's mixed up in a typo. :cool:

Think I'll stick with the home for now so, don't want to skip on the sound quality just for a.screen.

Thanks lads.

Frunchy wrote: »

Back to topic, any budget two driver bluetooth speaker like the Anker Soundcore will sound better than the mini, home or hub.

Our minis get used for music quite a bit, and they're more than adequate. It's not what they were bought for, but it's a useful bonus. I bought someone a Soundcore 2 last Xmas, but gave it a bit of a blast myself. Was actually disappointed with the sound, especially after all the great reviews....but this is seriously going off topic.

In any case, we have chromecast audio hooked up to a 5.1 surround sound system if we want to crank things up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Frunchy wrote: »

LOL :rolleyes:
    Frunchy wrote:

If you have nicer bluetooth speakers, then you can pair any of the Google Homes with it over bluetooth:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-pair-your-bluetooth-speaker-with-google-home-1824177228
    God forbid someone might get there u and i's mixed up in a typo. :cool:

Think I'll stick with the home for now so, don't want to skip on the sound quality just for a.screen.

Thanks lads.

There is also the Lenovo Smart Display, seemingly it has better sound then the full size GH:

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-home-hub-vs-lenovo-smart-display-923923/
    On the front on the Lenovo Smart Display there’s a large speaker grill housing the 10W full-range and dual passive radiator to direct sound out towards you. The speaker is loud, crisp, and packs plenty of bass. It’s certainly better than the regular Google Home, I wouldn’t recommend it over a decent hi-fi setup if you’re really into your music. The Google Home Hub still packs a decent punch for its little size and I’d ballpark the speaker quality in the range of the regular Google Home. It will certainly suffice as a basic home speaker, but the Lenovo has a slight edge.

Of course you could also hook the hub up to a Chromecast Audio and bigger speakers, either bookshelf or a 5.1 setup or you could connect over bluetooth to better bluetooth speakers if you happen to have some.

I'll be using my Hub in my bedroom hooked up to AudioEngine 5 bookshelf speakers over Chromecast Audio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It's a pity the nest thermostat is still only 2 zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

There is also the Lenovo Smart Display, seemingly it has better sound then the full size GH:

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-home-hub-vs-lenovo-smart-display-923923/

Currently €150 on Littlewoods:

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/lenovo-smart-display-8-inch-tablet-with-the-google-assistant/1600314757.prd

...and there's a 10" Lenovo tablet with a smart speaker/dock (Alexa) for €199 here:

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/tablets/lenovo-tab-4-10-16gb-black.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

LOL :rolleyes:

If you have nicer bluetooth speakers, then you can pair any of the Google Homes with it over bluetooth:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-pair-your-bluetooth-speaker-with-google-home-1824177228

Nice, will pair with my Anker bargain I got last night for the showerroom

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Ordered a hub, the smaller size actually appealed to me....will think about the bigger Lenovo in the new year, am sure prices will drop at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ordered one this morning. Gonna replace my mini on the bedside lockers which has been great btw. Was going to pair it with a Bluetooth speaker but is been perfectly fine for listening to music in bed etc.

The small size screen I think is perfect for bedside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's the kitchen I'd be tempted to get one of the hubs for, recipes and stuff.

My Google Home Hub order was cancelled due to 'suspicious activity on my account'. Very weird, have ordered multiple things from the UK store before.

Littlewoods Ireland have them now for €115 (same happened to me and we reordered)

Littlewoods Ireland have them now for €115 (same happened to me and we reordered)

Thanks, went with Littlewoods....works out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

My Google Home Hub order was cancelled due to 'suspicious activity on my account'. Very weird, have ordered multiple things from the UK store before.

Mines too - did you use parcel motel by any chance?

Mines too - did you use parcel motel by any chance?

Yeah, but I've always used Parcel Motel in the past without any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 PeeDawg

Got the same cancellation. I also used PM. Don't see the transaction in my banking online anymore either.

Anyone try reorder?
    Anyone use addresspal get a cancellation?

PeeDawg wrote: »
    Got the same cancellation. I also used PM. Don't see the transaction in my banking online anymore either.

Anyone try reorder?
    Anyone use addresspal get a cancellation?

Ive re ordered so am waiting to see what happens.

looked at Littlewoods but delivery was December 4th!

adox wrote: »
    Ive re ordered so am waiting to see what happens.

looked at Littlewoods but delivery was December 4th!

It says 'by the 4th'. I reckon it will be a lot faster. PM are ridiculously slow once BF rolls around anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

I've had two Chromecast gen 3 orders cancelled for me in the last few days.

One was due to suspicious account activity (I used a new card), the second was cancelled because they weren't able to validate some of my information.

Let's see what happens with the third order...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can you install any app on the home hub? Like use it as a tablet

Animo wrote: »
    I've had two Chromecast gen 3 orders cancelled for me in the last few days.

One was due to suspicious account activity (I used a new card), the second was cancelled because they weren't able to validate some of my information.

Let's see what happens with the third order...

All my details were exactly the same as every other order I've placed with them in the past.

rob316 wrote: »
    Can you install any app on the home hub? Like use it as a tablet

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Reati

Mini's are 35 in Currys today if people want to avoid PM etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

Used address pal and mine was dispatched earlier so might be best to go that route instead of parcel motel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Got the google home mini for €33.99 earlier on Littlewoods :)

Sorry to hear that some folks got their order cancelled!!

I ordered the Hub from the Google Store and it got dispatched. I used ParcelWizard and a Revolut card.

From another thread, it sounds like some transactions are getting marked as "fraud" since the delivery address PM/PW doesn't match the billing address. I find using Revolut can help avoid that issue.

Reati wrote: »
    Mini's are 35 in Currys today if people want to avoid PM etc

59E for a pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

59E for a pair.

How do you get that?

Also 10% off with aib rewards with Currys at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Sorry to hear that some folks got their order cancelled!!

I ordered the Hub from the Google Store and it got dispatched. I used ParcelWizard and a Revolut card.

From another thread, it sounds like some transactions are getting marked as "fraud" since the delivery address PM/PW doesn't match the billing address. I find using Revolut can help avoid that issue.

Google rang me. The chap kept calling me buddy ffs although he suggested I get it delivered to friend in the North or in the UK who could send it onto me. I told him I had no such thing. He then told to use an ROI address - shops be grand he said. BUT if that didn't work I was to call him back.

Well, ram it chap. The actual address on the e receipt was Barrow Street, Dublin 4. I for one am glad these multinational tax breaks benefit all us folk of Ireland.

Pricks

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

John Lewis are doing price match and also offering free delivery to Ireland if Google UK are cashing a problem or Littlewoods delivery too far out.

https://www.johnlewis.com/google-home-hub-hands-free-smart-speaker-with-7-inch-screen/p3823748

• Advertisement

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    How do you get that?

I got 2 for 59e last night, black Friday special.

Walked in and got 2 for €59 today- offer ends Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    How do you get that?

use code MULTI59IE for 59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You only need to use the code if your buying two online. If your reserving them to be collected in store then the two for €59 discount will be applied when you go to collect and pay for them in store.

BTW the visa debit card 10% rewards only applies if you pay on currys.ie. It doesn't work if you reserve for collection and/or purchase with your card in the store.

Easy Rider wrote: »
    John Lewis are doing price match and also offering free delivery to Ireland if Google UK are cashing a problem or Littlewoods delivery too far out.

https://www.johnlewis.com/google-home-hub-hands-free-smart-speaker-with-7-inch-screen/p3823748

No international delivery available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Had ordered Hub via Google Store UK to my Parcel Wizard address, which worked last year for Google Home order, was cancelled, re-ordered and was cancelled again within 24 hours.
    Have switched to AddressPal, fingers crossed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

Why not just use Littlewoods since they free deliver to Ireland and price is basically the same?

WezzyB wrote: »
    Had ordered Hub via Google Store UK to my Parcel Wizard address, which worked last year for Google Home order, was cancelled, re-ordered and was cancelled again within 24 hours.
    Have switched to AddressPal, fingers crossed.

It seems they are making it as hard as possible to buy these. I’ve had an order from google cancelled twice too, despite having purchased numerous items from them in the past with the same details.

I gave up(they didn’t reply to the emails I sent, which they suggested sending if they thought there wasn’t suspicious activity on my account).

I ordered from Littlewoods last night and am now waiting to see how that goes, although I’m a bit pessimistic as I see someone has already reported on another thread that they have had their order with Littlewoods cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Google Home Minis are €59 for two in Currys Liffey Valley (dont know if this is a nationwide deal) for one of each colour (black and chalk)

Dont let that turn you off - just reserve two of the colour you want online and they'll honour that with the €59 deal too, as the manager acknowledged they didnt think of that.

:)

Google Home Minis are €59 for two in Currys Liffey Valley (dont know if this is a nationwide deal) for one of each colour (black and chalk)

Dont let that turn you off - just reserve two of the colour you want online and they'll honour that with the €59 deal too, as the manager acknowledged they didnt think of that.

:)

I walked into a curry's on Friday evening, unaware that this deal was even on and grabbed2 chalk ones.

No one said anything to me about them being different colours. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Got a Google Home Hub via Parcel Wizard but I ordered early so maybe they canceled after they saw Parcel Wizard addresses were becoming common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I walked into a curry's on Friday evening, unaware that this deal was even on and grabbed2 chalk ones.

The cheap price for one was meant to be a specific colour also but the till systems had no such issue. Not one chalk left in Jervis, picked up a black to see if it came in at €35 and it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

The two chalk I had reserved wouldn't go through at the €59 deal and the girl called the manager

He said the deal is only for one of each colour and that's why the til wouldn't put them through at €59

I showed him the website and ability to reserve 2 of same colour and he acknowledged he would have to honour it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

adox wrote: »
    It seems they are making it as hard as possible to buy these. I’ve had an order from google cancelled twice too, despite having purchased numerous items from them in the past with the same details.

I gave up(they didn’t reply to the emails I sent, which they suggested sending if they thought there wasn’t suspicious activity on my account).

I ordered from Littlewoods last night and am now waiting to see how that goes, although I’m a bit pessimistic as I see someone has already reported on another thread that they have had their order with Littlewoods cancelled.

Hmm. That's annoying. I ordered from Littlewoods too and posted about John Lewis, mentioned to the Mrs and she said last year they cancelled on her too for the Google Home speaker. If Littlewoods cancel that's very annoying, why let you go through all the steps etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Hmm. That's annoying. I ordered from Littlewoods too and posted about John Lewis, mentioned to the Mrs and she said last year they cancelled on her too for the Google Home speaker. If Littlewoods cancel that's very annoying, why let you go through all the steps etc?

To have all your details for future spamming!

• Advertisement
Advertisement