Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Throttling

Options
  • 21-11-2018 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I've had a successful few weeks testing Three's 3G network at home. Getting up to 30mbps off peak. However since Sunday the performance has been very poor, averaging 2-3mbps even off peak.

The router is reporting a much inferior connection from a cell I hadn't sent before. The router since Sunday only ever connects to this cell. Prior to this it reported a number of different 3G cell IDs, disconnecting and reconnecting I would typically see the router connect to different cells. Each giving very similar stats and performance.

I've rebooted the device 20 times since Sunday and each time it keeps connecting to this inferior cell.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Do Three throttle in this way? Locking you to a particular cell id?

I should point out 4G hasn't been affected, it's similar to what it was before, though until now I have been using 3G exclusively due to its superior performance where I am. And the 4G is now connecting to a cell id I hadn't seen before. It seems exclusively to that cell id, which like with 3G is behaviour I hadn't seen before. The 4G signal stats are the best stats I've seen though, unlike 3G. So it makes sense for 4G not 3G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You should change the title, throttling is something done on the network level not RAT level where you're having issues.

If the cell IDs available to you have changed it could mean:
    A) A cell has failed
    B) A cell or site was decommissioned
    C) Interference (such as a spurious repeater)

Provide Three with your eircode and ask them if there are works in the area or a known fault. Its not uncommon for them to take a few weeks to get on site for repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭grebtol2

Can't edit title. Mods: feel free to edit.

I'll keep testing it and see what happens.

Advertisement