Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

efone - anyone aware of / any feedback

• 31-07-2018 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Live in rural limerick and have come across efone. I believe they use an antenna to connect to 'cellular networks'  (I'm told.) and provide internet access via a router. Would love any feedback, comments, experiences you might have. They aim to provide 10mbps + which would be a dream where I live if true. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Their site is half baked (map shows NYC not anywhere in ireland, all SM buttons are blank etc). Appear to just resell pvsi.ie 's services too.

If they're using the MNOs just do the same yourself. Much cheaper. €20/28 days with Three, unlimited. Add a voip phone too if you really need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Cheers Ed.

I can't get any sort of decent signal inside the house which is where their equipment comes in. Totally agree about the website. Appreciated.

As long as you can get reception externally/somewhere on your land its straight forward enough. Directional antenna + B593 or similar. Great project at the minute with summer weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Thanks Ed

I would be totally up for a project. Any recommendations for an antenna?

I have very poor phone signal in the house in general and have considered getting a booster kit (now that they are legal). Am I correct in saying that until Vodafone provide wifi calling I'm probably better with a booster and 4g router as the setup you suggested won't do anything for my phone signal?

Really appreciate it

Yes, if you want calls to work too then you need a repeater. Just be aware they will not be anywhere near cheap if you stick within the terms of the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭homingbird

For wifi internet calls like skype try this crowd install there app on your phone & use your pasygo credit to topup ap to make landline & mobile calls.
    https://yollacalls.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

ED E wrote: »
    Their site is half baked (map shows NYC not anywhere in ireland, all SM buttons are blank etc). Appear to just resell pvsi.ie 's services too.

If they're using the MNOs just do the same yourself. Much cheaper. €20/28 days with Three, unlimited. Add a voip phone too if you really need it.
    True, I contacted them, They said they have access to all networks, when I insisted to know what network they will use for MY HOME they said Three because it has the best coverage in my address, which is blatant lie, Vodafone is much stronger on the map and in the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 R.C.

Hi,

Efone work on the three network. I was told the same that they work on all 4G networks but they don't and you need to watch this. I have a strong Vodafone 4G signal and I had mentioned this but they proceeded with a three broadband connection.

Efone are using three so after that its up to you. I would expect that you would need a very strong three signal to get good sustained speeds in the evening.

Speeds varied for me from 10mbs and 14mbs during the day and the evening it could vary as much down to from 7mbs to 2mbs and 14mbs.

It cost me 160 euro in total to have installed by 80 euro x 2 payments. I was frustrated when I cam back from work to see an a router attached to the aerial mast in a location where a knew there was no strong 4G signal on the chimney.

The speeds were ok for me for a few days (during the day) and were averaging 26 to 30mps and 24mps until evening time when there was a significant drop off...down to 5mps and 2mps and sometimes it stopped altogether I had no signal at all. Contention I believe is the key... it appears that there is to many using it at peak times which is no good to me.

Efone are free to have there view on my comments but this is my experience and its fair.

Efone don't have contracts and have unlimited broadband and its 55 euro a month. I have no doubt that in the right area that efone could work very well provided that you have a good 4G three signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

So in other words it's s###e?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

Avoid them if you can.
    And I am going to file a complaint if not happy with the result, I will definitely take further action.
    They got my deposit and they left me no reference nothing. They said they will send a guy to check in two weeks. No sign. We sorted it with Three (yes, three is good!). I called to get refund. They said no, they don't have my account details. So now they are not going to give me back refund. I told them I had record being charged and record making phone calls to them, email that I sent to them to ask for receipt (which they didn't reply).

Avoid them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement