Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier Broadband

Options
  • 03-04-2016 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was thinking about getting broadband with Premier Broadband. (http://www.premierbb.ie/) My house is about 7km from the transmitter in Ardagh, Co. Longford.

Has anybody any experience of this supplier? Is the broadband service reliable? What kind of speeds are you getting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lfc2000

I have them the last 2 yrs or so. I've recently cancelled them as it does what it says during the day.BUT when the evening and weekend hits it gets ****. The sales rep asured me I'd get at least 6 to 8 mbs on the 10mbs tariff all the time. I was only getting 1-2 mbs at best those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

In the end, I went for satellite broadband with www.onwave.ie.

They said I would get around 18mb in the day, dropping to 4mb in the evening.

In reality, I'm getting 19mb most of the day and about 8-9 in the evenings. I'm happy enough so far, even if it is pricy, at €60 for a max download allowance of 25mb.

I was paying €40 for fixed line broadband in Mullingar that gave me 1-2mb download and often didn't work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lfc2000

Ye that's good download at those times but it is a bit expensive. I'd keep testing as mine started the same and then **** it's self. Did u not try the 4g and antenna as I'm getting 4g now from 10 kms away and I'm getting good times 15 to 30 mbs and bad times 5 to 15mbs for 20 euro unlimited.

lfc2000 wrote: »
    Ye that's good download at those times but it is a bit expensive. I'd keep testing as mine started the same and then **** it's self. Did u not try the 4g and antenna as I'm getting 4g now from 10 kms away and I'm getting good times 15 to 30 mbs and bad times 5 to 15mbs for 20 euro unlimited.

It never entered my mind to be honest.

That's not too bad for €20 per month. I guess I'm tied into a contract now but will check that out when my contract runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

TheBody wrote: »
    It never entered my mind to be honest.

That's not too bad for €20 per month. I guess I'm tied into a contract now but will check that out when my contract runs out.
    If you in Mullingar you should have 4G coverage from any ISP. Tested Vodafone inside office last week(Magnet landline was down) and got ~25mbps on dongle. Three in same spot on the phone ~15mbps.

• Advertisement

If you in Mullingar you should have 4G coverage from any ISP. Tested Vodafone inside office last week(Magnet landline was down) and got ~25mbps on dongle. Three in same spot on the phone ~15mbps.

I moved from Mullingar to North Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I moved from Mullingar to North Longford.
    Check this for nearest mast http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp
    Find nearest mast click on red tag on the map, read info about ISP, service provided, etc.
    Range 4km to nearest mast (depend on terrain) is wort to test with proper device(B593,E5186 or similar), outside that range external antenna would be recommended (B593 and E5186 supports it)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 librajohn

I've had Premier Bb for the past few years but find them VERY unreliable. At time of writing reception has been down since Wednesday evening and over St Pat's Day. Its now Saturday but still no response from the people in Portlaoise.

Most recent test gave download speed of 0.54 Mb/Sec should be 10, Reception after 6 pm is pathetic.

I was not aware of the dongle reception being so good as I tried one years ago and it did not work. I'll investigate again
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Further to my earlier rant about Premier Broadband here are some figures we are forced to endure over St Patrick's weekend. Their office is closed on weekends and public holidays. There is no emergency number to contact so we are left helpless.

Since 15/03 to 18/03 - average download taken over whole days 1.22 Mb/s.

What part of the country are you in?

• Advertisement

What part of the country are you in?

Near Kinnegad, Westmeath. Other than Premier BB or 4g dongle, the fastest BB available is 2mb. I am seriously thinking of the dongle approach though . Didn't realise they are so powerful. Only limitation may be data limit.

I'm with these clowns:

https://www.europasat.com/ie/

In fairness to them, they do provide decent speeds. I get around 19megs off peak and 9-12megs during peak times.

The only problem I've been having is that they have screwed up the billing about 9 of the last 11 months. Things like charging me 3 times in a month.

Luckily, Imagine LTE is now in my area, so I'm moving to them at the end of April.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I know its an old thread but anyone signed up to these recently?

They are in the area promoting their pb airjet service and just wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

On Vodafone 4G LTE and its pretty rubbish, have been told every excuse under the sun but its just not relaible so looking at other options (which are limited).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭con747

Have been with Premier Broadband since 2014 only because no other option in my area.I live 6km south of Kinnegad in a mobile blackspot so no 3g never mind 4g!. I do daily speedtests on Testmynet because they do an average speed not a maximum speed. My monthly averages on wireless is 1.5 Mbps. The new airjet they are rolling out is going to be a little better but will still be bad at peak times. I have been in contact on a monthly basis with them to try get a better service but they just press a few buttons in the office and you get a good signal for a few days but it always goes bad again within a week. Bottom line for me is I have no other option where I live but endure the low speeds until the "Roll out" of rural broadband which at the rate their going will be in 2030.......

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

When they came out and did a test were they getting those sort of speeds or were they better and then declined? I am on a waiting list for them to come out and do a connection test for AirJet. We are in a blackspot here too, have Vodafone 4G with an antenna on the roof and its barely usable most of the time so hoping AirJet is a better result.

When I first signed up it was for the 3Mbps package which speeds were at that level. After a few months I upgraded to the 7Mbps package because I was after signing up to Netflix and thought it would work better. The speeds didn't last very long on the new package and I was back to getting what I was on the 3Mbps package!. The only reason I stay on the 7Mbps is because I am home a lot during the day and speeds average 4Mbps to 6Mbps when the kids are in school and everyone is in work. After 7pm till 11pm and weekends it's barely able to open emails at times. The Airjet will help but it will depend on how many people are on the system and where you are in relation to the mast. My mast is on the Lagan cement tower outside Kinnegad so their is a lot of people between me and it so hence the bad speeds. So it will depend on your location as to the quality you receive.

If you are on a 7Mbpackage and getting 4-6 though during the day that's not too bad. Obviously as you say at night then if its not usable then that's not ideal at all. They have said anywhere up to 50Mb on AirJet, if I was even able to get a consistent and reliable service of 30Mb during the day id be happy enough if it did drop to 15-20 at night. Currently Vodafone has huge DNS problems, pages wont load or timeout, connection during the day can be anywhere from 2Mb to a very rare 20Mb then in the evening anywhere from 0.2Mb to 2Mb, if you reach 5Mb its a miracle.

To be honest if you can get over 15Mbps average with them I would be surprised. If you check out some of the Imagine reviews for their similar service it should give you a better idea as to speed issues when the network is fully signed up to. PB are not rolling the service out in my area until after January here so I have no input I can offer apart from experience of the wireless issues. Hope you get a good result. If you do get it in and you are happy with it over a few months send me a message if you wouldn't mind so I can see if I want to go down that road when it gets here.

Advertisement