Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Payment Car clamp

Options
  • 13-06-2019 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Would appreciate some feedback on this predicament.

Short version: got clamped 2 months ago. Had no credit on phone so contracted my brother to arrange for guy to come out and release the car.

Payed the guy cash but didn’t realize that my brother had paid via credit card till about 5 weeks ago.

Had forgotten about it till now and checked the CC statement but no refund.

I haven’t contacted them at all. It’s NCPS and Thor call rate is obnoxiously expensive.

What recourse do I have as it’ll only be his word against mine. I did take the cash out of nearby atm so that’s recorded.

Help please. Was furious enough having to pay for the original fee especially as car was left in local pub car park.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Email them, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

No receipt for cash payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do you have a receipt for the cash payment? They should have a receipt for the card payment, so if you can put both receipts together, it should prove the double payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

dudara wrote: »
    Do you have a receipt for the cash payment? They should have a receipt for the card payment, so if you can put both receipts together, it should prove the double payment.

Thanks for reply’s.

I did get a receipt but with nothing on it. It wasn’t completed.

There was no receipt of either payment.

I’m going to email now with little hope.

But if no joy there. I’ll let them know I’m taking this to a legal level I’ll go to the guards and I’ll tell them I have CCTV footage of myself paying the guy. Regardless whether I do or don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Can you do a chargeback on the credit card?

Don't say anything about CCTV. They will know it's a bluff and it puts you in a weaker position.

• Advertisement

No point in going to the Gardaí, they have no basis to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

dudara wrote: »
    No point in going to the Gardaí, they have no basis to get involved.

Would it not be theft if the clamper knew the fee had already been paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

FLOOPER wrote: »

Gardai will not touch this. A civil matter of overcharging between you and the clampers.

FLOOPER wrote: »

It’s a civil matter. Theft is a malicious act, whereas this was a case of double payment.

Plus as you have no receipt, you cannot prove they have your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Write to them with a copy of the cash receipt (if the amount field is blank, I'd probably write it in on the copy and photocopy it again) and a copy of the credit card statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I would be absolutely shocked if the guy releasing the clamp was supposed to accept cash. Then he gave you a blank receipt?

Hmmmm.

Advertisement