Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir complaint.

Options
  • 10-06-2019 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

I have an elderly aunt. She's in her late 70's and has a number of serious health issues. She lives over 30 k away and I usually make it my business to see her on at least a fortnightly basis.

She has her service with Eir, broadband and phone.

She is heavily reliant on. Roadband to communicate with family as the majority live abroad.

Since Christmas her service is shocking, I have to go down to her every few days as we can't contact her as her service is down.

They are back to their old trick of not answering the phone. I end up making the trip to see if she is OK and doing the web chat to get her service repaired ie engineers out etc.

It is always their fault although last time they threatened her with 150 charge, even though the fault was with their router.

They never apply any credit to her account. I put in a formal complaint on her behalf nearly 2 weeks ago which has not been responded too. The second last time their was a fault the idiot on the phone put her into a new contract, stopped sendi g her bills and reactivated a dd on her account to her deceased husbands back account. He passed away 7 years ago so I'm quite certain that retaining his details too for that length was a GDPR breach

What can I do next.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

if your formal complaint is not answered to your satisfaction your next port of call is COMREG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

When you contact Comreg itemise the issues and indicate exactly what you require Eir to do about it.

Comreg can't do anything about a complaint where there is no indication of the required resolution.

You may run into issues where Eir will only deal with the account holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I put in a formal complaint on her behalf nearly 2 weeks ago which has not been responded to.

After 10 working days of no reply to a formal complaint, Comreg can then get involved to force eir to deal with it.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/109349389

In fact it seems that's the only way to get issues resolved as eir seem to have no fear of any sanctions which indicates a fairly "light touch, kid gloves" regulator.

Comreg probably won't deal with any GDPR issues but the data protection commissioner will. Again, you'll probably have to deal with eir's data protection officer first to show an attempt to resolve.

AFAIK under GDPR law, deceased persons information is not considered "personal data" any more so it might be more of a bank issue if the account was a joint account and is still open/active.

Your biggest hurdle could be getting permission for them to deal with you directly. You probably need to get your aunt to get you named on the account as a delegate to correspond with. Not sure what eir's policy is on that.

What's the chances of getting her a smartphone as a backup option to the landline? Or even just a basic mobile to stay contactable.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mjedl

1- get yourself named on the account so you can deal with issues
    2 -make sure you get a reference number for the complaint from eircom
    3- you will need to supply this reference no. when/if escalating to comreg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

We don't mind if they respond to her directly, it was just me who lodged the complaint for wording etc.

I will escalate to ComReg. It's redicilous, we just want a fully functioning service and for her to have the ability to contact them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I put in a formal complaint on her behalf nearly 2 weeks ago which has not been responded too.

What can I do next.

You should have got an automatic reply to say the complaint was received, did you get this?

You can follow up to ccm@eir.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

step 1: Comreg
    step 2: change providers

Advertisement