Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tampered with electricy meter, 1000+ euro bill, account closed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

First things first:

- Does the current meter reading match the reading on the most recent bill?
    Yes current one is even abit higher.

- Before January when was the last ‘actual’ reading (by that I mean a reading taken by ESB Networks themselves - not an estimated reading or customer reading)?
    I dont see any readings from before january but I can look at some of the older bills that are left in the house.
    - Was the final reading in January physically ‘read’ by ESB Networks or was it a customer reading?
    No idea.
    - Could the previous housemate have (either purposely or accidentally) given a false lower reading? If they had been getting estimated bills this could account for what’s happened.

Either way your best course of action is to contact ESB Networks & ask them to check the meter.
    Could be thanks.

Can you look at the first bill you received after taking over the account, is the first reading on it an estimated reading or an actual reading(did you read the meter when you opened your account?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Since your housemate provided a reading when they closed the account 3 months ago i think there is only 2 options.
    You're housemate provided a wrong reading and screwed you over. Or someone tapped into your supply since.
    If the bills had been this high before you would have noticed.

Update: ESB networks will check free of charge in a couple weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

machaseh wrote: »
    Update: ESB networks will check free of charge in a couple weeks time.
    Do not tell anyone, especially your landlord, that ESB networks are coming out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Couple of weeks is a long time, I would have expected them to come out a lot sooner.
    Re those saying it is likely an estimation issue, that doesn't explain the meter turning even with breakers off.
    I'd be tempted to get an electrician out to have a quick look and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Couple of weeks is a long time, I would have expected them to come out a lot sooner.
    Re those saying it is likely an estimation issue, that doesn't explain the meter turning even with breakers off.
    I'd be tempted to get an electrician out to have a quick look and see what they say.

The OP doesn't say how fast the meter is turning with all the switches off. If it's creeping around it could be a neon or faulty breaker that's leaking some current. Like if he is using 7000 units in 90 days, that's an average constant draw of over 3kW. The meter should be spinning so fast it's a blur!

If the OP wants to check if it's the meter that's the issue just read it today and again 24hrs later. If the reading has increased by 10 or less units then it's fairly certain this is an estimation issue, and he's been stiffed by his former housemate.

If it's increased by 50+ units then he has a faulty meter or the neighbours grow house is stealing a supply.

the_syco wrote: »
    Do not tell anyone, especially your landlord, that ESB networks are coming out.

Why ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Because they will remove any illegal connections if they know people are coming.

Because they will remove any illegal connections if they know people are coming.

I doubt the landlord is the culprit because they only own this one house in the street. Unless they lied about that from the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why ?
    I doubt the landlord is the culprit because they only own this one house in the street. Unless they lied about that from the beginning.
    If the LL was costing you money, I doubt they'd tell you. You want the ESB Networks to find the issue, so by not telling anyone anything, everything will run as normal.

Final update: The meter reading was amended by ESB, and the bill was amended as well to a normal-ish amount. The entire process took over a month and a lot of stress, but in the end it was resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Did they give an explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

amcalester wrote: »
    I know you checked and the meter is still ticking over when everything is turned off, but when was the last time your bill was read and not estimated?

Does the house have a garrage, ours has a second fuse board there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MagnumPewPew

Hiya, so I am with SSE Airtricity for the gas & electricity in me gaff, never had any issues before.

Now I'm movin out of me gaff but just when I closed the account I saw that my outstanding account balance is 1200 euros. Apparently we used over 7000 kwh in 3 months. That is more than a normal gaff this size in a year !

So I called for hours with SSE airtricity, the guy said that I can switch off all power at the breaker and check for 45 mins if the meter is still running. And guess what it's still running ! So either something is wrong with the meter or some gob****e is tapping off our electricity !

So I call again to get an engineer out, but now she says the account is closed, they cannot send an engineer out. I am now on a payment plan for something I am not going to pay because there is something wrong with the meter.

I have no idea what to do now is there anything I could do? We were thinking of getting an engineer out ourselves but then I would be paying 200+ quid for that and I still don't know if they are going to scrap that bill.

EDIT: Update: ESB networks will check free of charge in a couple weeks time.

I had the same issue, kept getting bills of 500+ euro for a 2 bed apartment with A3 rating I was renting.
    Meter still ticking away with all power off.
    After a lot of calls to electric Ireland they informed me I would have to pay to have someone fix the meter - 600 euro.
    Regarding the bill they would be passed on to a debt agency - at the time I was trying for a mortgage so the fear was strong.

Horrible business OP - hope you have better luck than me

Advertisement