Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann Galway

Options
  • 16-10-2017 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    whilst driving home lastnight past the back of dunnes stores in Doughiska, Galway I was behind a Bus Eireann 409 bus. a gentleman ran across the road in front of me (between me and bus) from the Clayton side of the road and proceeded to sprint towards the bus stop (150 - 200 m away) and along the way another gentleman started to sprint towards the bus stop- this man was probably 20m away from the bus stop, and with his arm waving for the bus to stop (he was infront of the bus at this point). The bus didnt stop for either person. is that common for bus drivers to be so ignorant - Note - there is no way the bus driver didnt see these people at all. is it Bus Eireann protocol to not stop if there is no one at the bus stop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

where do you draw the line? do you stop if someone is 10 metres from the stop? what if they are 20 or 30? or 50? Of course they might have been running to get out of the rain or waving to a friend... Perhaps the driver didn't see him at all, concentrating on his driving.

It's a bit off to brand him ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Does a driver wait till someone 30 metres away gets to the stop? How much time is lost doing that? Does the driver do that at every stop that someone is running to? How much time is lost then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

bobbyss wrote: »
    Does a driver wait till someone 30 metres away gets to the stop? How much time is lost doing that? Does the driver do that at every stop that someone is running to? How much time is lost then?
    another reason for not waiting at a stop that some bus companies mention, is that if you wait for people coming from the other side of the road that you're only encouraging them to run out in front of cars and cause a potentially serious if not fatal accident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Squatman

they were both on the same side of the road, they would have held up the driver by all of 5 seconds. And if the bus driver couldnt see them, then he shouldnt be driving the bus. Any other questions? note: i am not personally invested in this, just i thought it was a peculiar and lousy thing - albeit very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I was coming on a DB bus last night actually and for some reason the bus stopped twice to let people at un- recognised stops, once outside a petrol station and the other at a set of traffic lights. My queston why would he do that it seemed a bit random. Also when I went downstairs there was someone arguing with the driver.

• Advertisement

Sometimes I miss a connecting bus by seconds. Literally seconds. Then, I have to wait about half an hour for my next bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I was a bus driver for many companies for about 30 years. If I knew someone wanted to get on the bus and was running for it there is no reason not to stop and let them get on. This has nothing to do with transport procedures. It is just about being nice to people. Many bus Eirean and Dublin bus drivers who see passengers as a nuisance can get away with not being nice because they know they have a strong union who will back them up if any complaint is made.

Nomis21 wrote:
    I was a bus driver for many companies for about 30 years. If I knew someone wanted to get on the bus and was running for it there is no reason not to stop and let them get on. This has nothing to do with transport procedures. It is just about being nice to people. Many bus Eirean and Dublin bus drivers who see passengers as a nuisance can get away with not being nice because they know they have a strong union who will back them up if any complaint is made.

But what if that's done often and time is lost? I may not catch a connecting bus or am otherwise late? Then that's not nice to me? Whereas if procedure was followed correctly nobody loses out.

Advertisement