Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi from kimmage to airport on Stephens day

Options
  • 10-10-2017 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm wondering how difficult and pricey it may be compared to normal days (about €35) to het a taxi from kimmage to dublin airport for 3:30am on st Stephens day. I'm finding it difficult to get much information online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It shouldn't cost any more than any other day. Book it in advance on MyTaxi and you shouldn't have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It shouldn't cost any more than any other day. Book it in advance on MyTaxi and you shouldn't have a problem.

There is a 'special premium rate' which applies to taxi fares from 20:00 on Christmas Eve to 08:00 on St. Stephen's Day. Also applies for 12 hours (8 p.m. to 8 a.m.) on the night of New Year's Eve.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi-and-bus-licensing/taxi/operating-an-spsv/taxi-fares/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

coylemj wrote: »
    There is a 'special premium rate' which applies to taxi fares from 20:00 on Christmas Eve to 08:00 on St. Stephen's Day. Also applies for 12 hours (8 p.m. to 8 a.m.) on the night of New Year's Eve.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi-and-bus-licensing/taxi/operating-an-spsv/taxi-fares/

Also, available taxi's will be scarce given the fact that it is Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

They should be scarce indeed. Maybe I'll head up to glasnevin to sleep there from kimmage around 8pm on Christmas evening. Ah the stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't think it will be any easier to get one from glasnevin than from kimmage! I think you will get one, though you'll have to plan ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

If booked in advance he'll be fine. There are plenty of taxi drivers who don't celebrate Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Not all taxi drivers are the social butterflies you'd imagine.

Some might regard a pre-booked trip from Kimmage to the Airport at the holiday premium rate as the perfect Christmas present.

There will be large flights arriving in Dublin Airport early on St Stephens' day even though there will be little public transport, so it is worth taxi drivers' while while getting up in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Wheety wrote: »
    If booked in advance he'll be fine. There are plenty of taxi drivers who don't celebrate Christmas.

Sorry to disagree with you here but booking a taxi in advance will make no difference whatsoever when it comes to booking a taxi on Christmas Day. By all means there will be a few cabs out on the day but the emphasis here will be on a few cabs. Many of the despatch firms don't even open on Christmas Day and the few that do tend to priorise their large account customers and regular callers for what few taxis that they have to call upon.

I can say this from experience of having worked in the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sorry to disagree with you here but booking a taxi in advance will make no difference whatsoever when it comes to booking a taxi on Christmas Day. By all means there will be a few cabs out on the day but the emphasis here will be on a few cabs. Many of the despatch firms don't even open on Christmas Day and the few that do tend to priorise their large account customers and regular callers for what few taxis that they have to call upon.

The OP is looking for a taxi on St. Stephens Day, not the day before and as another poster has pointed out, there will probably be flights arriving into the airport that morning so there could very well well be taxi drivers prepared to do an early start to service that business.
    I can say this from experience of having worked in the trade.

I used to work in the pub business and a feature of St. Stephens Day is the number of men who can't wait to get out of the house after being held prisoner for the previous 24 hours. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't plenty of taxis available on St. Stephens Day. The early hour (3.30 a.m.) is likely to be the major stumbling block.

OP should ring around on Dec 22/23 and see who will accept the booking.

Advertisement