Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork (Mallow) to Dublin

• 23-09-2009 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Does anyone have any experience communiting to Dublin (to TCD) from the Cork area? Via bus, train or car? What are the travel times like and such.

We're unable to move (new mortgage) but applying to TCD so need to know my options :o

Thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If you're travelling from Mallow to Heuston by train its around 2 hrs 30, Cork city to Heuston to Heuston 20 minutes or so more.... Depatures every hour or so

www.irishrail.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not every day surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mikanella

Everyday? I hope not heh... but ouch 5hrs-ish travelling is harsh :/ (I guess it could be well spent studying)

Will have to find out more from the Uni about course timetable to see if it's worth it.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Mikanella wrote: »
    Everyday? I hope not heh... but ouch 5hrs-ish travelling is harsh :/ (I guess it could be well spent studying)

Will have to find out more from the Uni about course timetable to see if it's worth it.

:cool:

Should be a little over two hours to Mallow most of the time...taking around two and a half hours to Cork city...

Just looking at the timetable it shows 2hrs 55 for most trains to/from Mallow!

That said you'd probably get college work done on the train up and down, plug sockets on the train for a laptop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Depending on how often you are travelling, a monthly or annual ticket might work out cheaper.

Number 92 bus from Heuston will drop you at TCD. Alternatively, get a tram to Abbey Street.

Aspproximate prices http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fare_calc.php?station_from=MLLOW&station_to=HSTON&stage1=Submit+Query

If you are doing it constantly, I imagine coaches would drive you mad.

Awesome info - much love <3

Just been looking at the TCD section of the forum, with some examples of this years timetables - and EEEK! Lots of 9am starts...that would be painful for my crazy travelling situation >.<

Any relations/friends you could stay with in Dublin some nights to ease the burden :confused:

Do you want to give summary of your timetable? One option might be to travel up on the dawn train, go to class, stay overnight, go to class and return home that evening.

Note the special offers of Cork-Dublin for €10, but those aren't guaranteed beyond about 4 weeks into the future.

Sadly we don't know anyone in Dublin :( Just been looking to see how much a 1bed room might be (not too bad). And this seems to be the perfect time to do the research though. :D

That would be awesome if you could Victor - I'm considering English Studies - or English Lit (TSM) with Psychology.

Cheers!

• Advertisement

I've no problems looking up transport information for you, but I won't look up your English Studies timetable - you need to tell us. :D

Lol I so read that as "do you want me" XD I thought you had some fancy access to tcd intranet or were a student with them :P sorry for the confusion :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Just looking at the timetable it shows 2hrs 55 for most trains to/from Mallow!

That said you'd probably get college work done on the train up and down, plug sockets on the train for a laptop

Where are you reading that???

Most trains take 2 hours 15-20 mins to/from Mallow.

Laptop sockets are only in first class on the Dublin/Cork trains.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

KC61 wrote: »

There are sockets at one seat at the front of each carriage (for the cleaners).

Typical IR stupidity not installing sockets at all seats for people like Mikanella.

Charging a laptop each night before leaving and again in Dublin should be ok, or a spare battery. Or perhaps one of the new mac pros with 7 hour battery life, but could probably stil do with a quick top up.

bk wrote: »
    There are sockets at one seat at the front of each carriage (for the cleaners).

Oooh good to know! :D

Where are you reading that???

Most trains take 2 hours 15-20 mins to/from Mallow.

I said Just looking at the timetable it shows 2hrs 55 for most trains to/from Mallow!

There... ;)

I said Just looking at the timetable it shows 2hrs 55 for most trains to/from Mallow!

There... ;)

Well I would respectfully suggest that you apply for an eye test!

Per the timetable (http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2009/Dublin%20Cork%2009.pdf) the longest any train takes from Dublin to Mallow is 2 hours 22 minutes and nowhere near 2 hours 55 minutes.

From Mallow to Cork the first train of the day (that is a commuter service) does take 2 hours 56 mins, but all the others take about 2 hours 25 minutes.

So I would think your observation was rather off the mark!

So I would think your observation was rather off the mark!

Nope, this is what I saw. Seeing as this person is talking about commuting early it might apply :rolleyes: So I'll pass on the eye test, thanks

01928229567393017867.jpg

In practice, many trains are arriving early as there is too much time allowed.

Nope, this is what I saw. Seeing as this person is talking about commuting early it might apply :rolleyes: So I'll pass on the eye test, thanks

01928229567393017867.jpg

Indeed but you did say most trains take 2 hours 55 minutes - that's only 1 out of 32 possible trains operating in both directions!

All other trains take 2 hours 25 minutes maximum, and as Victor says tend to take 2 hours 10-15 minutes in practice.

Apologies for being pedantic here, but your initial comment was incorrect. I did specifically mention this one train in my reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Mikanella, please don't attempt to do this commute everyday. I commute myself, and while the actually journey is only 1 hour, in reality between getting to/from the station and waiting for trains etc. it takes 2 hours in each direction.

It will take you a good 45 mins to get from Heuston to College on top of your train journey. You'll only get work done on the train if you get a seat with a table. Assuming that the first train of the day would be quite busy, this could prove poblematic. Tbh I think you'd be off your head to attempt to commute from Mallow everday.

I agree, it is a mad idea. Has the OP considered any similar courses that may be on offer much nearer home in UCC? Would be wise to check this out before commiting to Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭ceannair06

mfitzy wrote: »
    I agree, it is a mad idea. Has the OP considered any similar courses that may be on offer much nearer home in UCC? Would be wise to check this out before commiting to Trinity.

Excellent!

Students like the OP drive me mad!!!

"I want to do this so others will make it happen". Look, you either go to somewhere nearer, move or have a bugger of a commute.

End of.

While I wouldn't advocate making hte journey every day, it would be practical ones or twice a week.
    fh041205 wrote: »
    It will take you a good 45 mins to get from Heuston to College on top of your train journey.
    I've gone from Heuston to the Customs House in 7 minutes on a bus. While that may not be practical throughout the day, 20 minutes is a more realistic time.
    You'll only get work done on the train if you get a seat with a table. Assuming that the first train of the day would be quite busy, this could prove poblematic.
    All seats on trains used Mallow-Dublin either have full sized tables or airline-style fold down tray. I've not used the (pre-)dawn train in a long time, but you would get a seat from Mallow - it is one of the trains with the €10 fares.

ceannair06 wrote: »
    Excellent!

Students like the OP drive me mad!!!

"I want to do this so others will make it happen". Look, you either go to somewhere nearer, move or have a bugger of a commute.

End of.

Heh Mad why? XD

I'm not too sure why this comment is warranted tbh - chosing a uni course for me is a big deal - and I'm not just going to go to the nearest uni without researching others and all the choices that go hand in hand with that. Hence this post.

Now that I have researched it a bit more, with some helpful replies, I understand my options. I have looked into every other relevant course and the one at Trinity was the best fit, except for the commute. Which was why I wanted to find out more about it from more experienced commuters, since I've only been in Ireland a few years.

And unfortunately since I'm not 18 and straight out of school (classed as a mature student), and have been working this year along with my husbands salary I am not able to apply for the grant this year (which may have been helpful towards communiting costs).

Moving is not an option - my husbands work is here (contracted) and we just bought a house.

Anyhoo, my second uni choice is Cork, it doesnt have exactly what I wanted, but its only 30km ish away :/

To those that answered with positive and informative posts I thank you :D

Mikanella wrote: »
    Heh Mad why? XD
    If you were commuting 5 days a week, you would be spending 25-30 hours between trains and buses. That is unsustainable on several grounds.

Advertisement